Discount day at Nelson for Ohio Riders - April 16 2011

jbot

Shrug. On Michelin tires :D. And it was $20 and i was bone dry other then boots and gloves. But the tires were starting to get warm from T3-T6 and I wanted to keep them cool.

I know what you mean. I was running rains too and was glad to be able to find water at the bridge, backstretch and before T12.

I had a great time regardless of weather it was still a great learning experiance as to what I ad my machine are capable of doing in wet conditions. I'm so stoked for the my day its not funny. Captinkeys, any luck on the video yet?

I agree with you 100% It was a great weekend.

As for the video it's all converted plus some footage my friends got on our last session from track side. (which I still haven't even seen!)

He's gonna try to edit it all together to make at least one good lap of it. Getting stuck behind some slower traffic and with the sketchy conditions the vids aren't as exciting as they could've been. I guess that's what May is for though! This video will just be a practice run as he has to get used to the editing software too.

So you know...he showed up 4 hours late to the track day...so who knows how long it will take him to edit it all together. I'd do it but laptop isn't capable of editing the 1080p video. I'll definitely keep you posted...

The issue is the standing water wouldn't have been there had the drainage system not been clogged. It took them almost 3 hours to pump the water away from the track.. in one spot. That's completely unacceptable.

Shitty weather? Sure' date=' I'll accept that gamble. Shitty track preparedness? Nope.

It's not Motoseries' fault, but we didn't give our money to NL. We gave it to Todd. I'm sure he'll do the right thing. I hear he's a fairly stand-up guy.[/quote']

^^^^Agreed!

I also agree with Redkow's logic concerning track readiness is the resposibility of NL not Todd and how the contracts work...

...and Brian's comment about much of the same.

HOWEVER, The track preparedness (drainage) needs to be improved and/ or maintained by NL. If Todd does not exert pressure (via contracts and reimbursements) on NL to improve the situation it may not get fixed. If we do not exert pressure to Todd (via credits) will he pursue the issue??? Its a chain reaction and the consumers are the source.

FURTHERMORE, I probably would have walked away at the end of the day and just wrote the situation off but Todd's comment about keeping the track open late so that we could run late pissed me off.

Todd has no control over keeping the track employees or EMTs late. These are set contracts (9-5 or whatever) controlled by the track. (Brian, correct me if I am wrong)

I view Todd's statement as an attempt to quite the masses knowing that he could not deliver. It seemed to work since I was the only one that stuck around after the event to discuss the drainage issue with him and the possibility of credits.

I'm not very fired up about losing track time but I am big on honesty and integrity. If Todd does me right with a % of credits he wins my respect and I'll be back to use them and be a repeat customer in the future.

If not...

I think the fact that he at least tried to get the track to remain open longer is indicative of him looking out for the riders that day given the unusual circumstances of that event.

Whether Todd has control of the contracted hours of the corner workers and EMT's is not something I would know, but whenever there are special circumstances in a business arrangement, it is not unheard of to make special allowances. Todd tried to get Nelson (and the support staff) to allow the riders more time, they declined.

While everyone has opinions, and I understand where you're coming from and see how you might see it that way, I disagree that his well intended actions and honest efforts are cause to say he lacks honesty or integrity. My opinion is that his actions are indicative of someone who is doing the best he can for the riders, even if it is a long shot that anything will come of his efforts.

Edited by jbot
"shot down" to "declined"

I think the fact that he at least tried to get the track to remain open longer is indicative of him looking out for the riders that day given the unusual circumstances of that event.

Whether Todd has control of the contracted hours of the corner workers and EMT's is not something I would know, but whenever there are special circumstances in a business arrangement, it is not unheard of to make special allowances. Todd tried to get Nelson (and the support staff) to allow the riders more time, and he was shot down.

While everyone has opinions, and I understand where you're coming from and see how you might see it that way, I disagree that his well intended actions and honest efforts are cause to say he lacks honesty or integrity. My opinion is that his actions are indicative of someone who is doing the best he can for the riders, even if it is a long shot that anything will come of his efforts.

I would doubt he was "shot down" as opposed to probably Nelson has strict rules regarding times they can run events. Meaning, sound ordinances, etc.

This is a Moto Series issue and not a Nelson issue. The credits if forthcoming and any refunds if they make sense would be 100% on Moto Series - not Nelson.

There should be NO LINK to anything being discussed with the track and the owners. They rented the track for a set allocated time and the fact that the weather did not work out is on Nelson and Moto Series. However, any refunds and credits - the business side of things - is in the hands of Todd.

Again, I think if you all got 4 plus sessions in, you should be understanding that most organizations would consider that enough to not do any credits or refunds.

I think this is getting a little out of hand and now you have people claiming silly things on both the track and Todd's side.

Todd is going to do what is right. If you get to ride all but one session, should a track organization give you a credit for that one missed session? No!

It's like racing... If we get past halfway and they throw a red flag, that can be considered a completed race. If it were only 10 laps and you got 6 in, they don't credit you for the 4 laps you missed out on... Point is that I think you guys got enough sessions in and considering the discount received, you probably got more than the average, regular paying customer did.

Bottom line is that weather caused the whole ordeal. Nobody can control what Mother Nature does and they can only work around it. Nelson is a track you can ride wet and in some seriously tough conditions. If a clogged drain system was the culprit of a shut down, again... Weather was the root. Getting upset at the track does nothing. It's happened at many different tracks around the world. Look at MotoGP a few years ago...

The deal is simple. If you got more than half, you should be happy and move along. If you got less than half, I suspect that once time gets going here, you will see Todd do the right thing.

Relax everyone...

I would doubt he was "shot down" as opposed to probably Nelson has strict rules regarding times they can run events. Meaning, sound ordinances, etc.

This is a Moto Series issue and not a Nelson issue. The credits if forthcoming and any refunds if they make sense would be 100% on Moto Series - not Nelson.

There should be NO LINK to anything being discussed with the track and the owners. They rented the track for a set allocated time and the fact that the weather did not work out is on Nelson and Moto Series. However, any refunds and credits - the business side of things - is in the hands of Todd.

Again, I think if you all got 4 plus sessions in, you should be understanding that most organizations would consider that enough to not do any credits or refunds.

I think this is getting a little out of hand and now you have people claiming silly things on both the track and Todd's side.

Todd is going to do what is right. If you get to ride all but one session, should a track organization give you a credit for that one missed session? No!

It's like racing... If we get past halfway and they throw a red flag, that can be considered a completed race. If it were only 10 laps and you got 6 in, they don't credit you for the 4 laps you missed out on... Point is that I think you guys got enough sessions in and considering the discount received, you probably got more than the average, regular paying customer did.

Bottom line is that weather caused the whole ordeal. Nobody can control what Mother Nature does and they can only work around it. Nelson is a track you can ride wet and in some seriously tough conditions. If a clogged drain system was the culprit of a shut down, again... Weather was the root. Getting upset at the track does nothing. It's happened at many different tracks around the world. Look at MotoGP a few years ago...

The deal is simple. If you got more than half, you should be happy and move along. If you got less than half, I suspect that once time gets going here, you will see Todd do the right thing.

Relax everyone...

Don't think anyone could of said it better than that.

I'm looking at it more from a "what can Moto Series (as a business) realistically afford to do without folding?"

yes, Moto Series sold the track time, and NL rented to Moto Series, but I believe the defect was the lack of drainage; not the weather itself.

I guess I'm fuzzy on the facts of what actually happened though. I thought I remembered reading that a drain was clogged. If that's the case, then I still believe track maintenance is NL's responsibility. If there was never any drain there, and the flooding that occurred was (or should have been) a known risk, then it's more reasonable to assert that Moto Series took on that risk when they rented the track.

Like a few people have pointed out, each of you 'contracted' with Moto Series, and any compensation should come from Moto Series - I just hope Moto Series can turn around and recoup some funds from NL if it was actually their negligence (lack of maintenance) that caused the lost riding time.

^ shit, I re-read that, and I apologize if I'm slipping further into my law student mentality. This is the type of shit that starts contract disputes all the time though. There's no clause directly addressing what happens when the front straight floods, so you're left to argue where the responsibilities lie.

I really hope that anyone with issues as to how the day ended is contacting Todd as venting on here really isn't going to do much good. With all the rain and flooding all over Ohio I am shocked that was the only flooding problem at the track.

I really have to agree with Brian on this one. Hell even some of the races on sunday were short.

Relax everyone...

again, my point was that Todd tried whatever he could to get riders extra time on track, and to provide my counter point to the claim that his actions were part of some devious scheme to quiet the masses. Since I am not privy to the business and legal arrangements of Moto Series and Nelson, my post relates to the matter of what I believe to be his intentions, only. I've appended the "shot down" part to "declined" for clarity, however.

I know they ran until 6 on saturdays when they held the endurance races after the trackday. So noise shouldn't have been the issue. I do know he asked for extra time, but I have no clue for the reason it didn't happen.

It could easily be different each day. Usually, though - track day noise rules are longer on Sunday. But, it could be that they have a shut it down time agreed upon with locals for Saturday that is shorter than Sunday. Also, they are running a race series the next day and logistically speaking, they could have not been able to retain the EMTs and cornerworkers for the longer period and pull off Sunday...

Again, nobody knows and we probably won't. Like what was stated earlier, getting it done on this site isn't productive nor the best way to get things done. Craig's suggestion to contact Todd directly is the best idea and we should push this topic in another direction...

So, who's in for the weekend of the 28th? I might be there for that event...

Got an email from Todd today. He treated me right and I'm a happy Moto Series customer.

When someone treats me right I try to return the favor so now I have to decide what Moto Series events I will be attending this summmer!

Agreed and concur.