Discount day at Nelson for Ohio Riders - April 16 2011

jbot

I was there on Saturday. Lyns had a great time' date=' but she was cold. Not very eventful for me.. although I did help some random guy get his bike started. Some GSX-R that had to be bump-started. So.. at least I did something productive, other than get wet.[/quote']

Yeah thanks for that by the way wasn't sure exactly who you were at the time but finnaly figured it out.

It was great meeting eveyone on Saturday, nice to connect screen names to names to faces.

Special thanks to everyone that gave me throttle blipping advice and to my group leader Craig.

Xtra Special Thanks to Jbot for getting us the discount pricing!!!

Hope to see everyone at the track again this summer whether is be Putnam, Beaver or Nelson.

Ok so here's my $.02 about the trackday...kinda bumed we only got to run 4 sessions (3 for me) but hey that's the risk we take when we go in the rain. Felt like I was improving really well but I don't know for sure. I posted the same complaint on the motoseries website and I will go a little further in depth here as I think more of the coaches would be read it here then on there. I or no one I spoke with got no personal feed back on areas we can need to work on, we had a really small novice class 12 people I think and 5 or 6 coaches.. I understand it was hard to get a good idea in the conditions we were riding in but I'm sure that's not the last time we will ever ride in the rain, I at least know personaly I will be at every track day I can.

I would of liked to do therace school on the next track day but without know what I was doing right or wrong I don't know if I'm ready.

Sorry I didn't make it out to play. The weather cleared up and the sun came out a couple of times Saturday afternoon, and given that the track is about 40 miles from my house, I was crossing my fingers that you guys would get a few dry sessions in during the afternoon.

Sounds like everyone had a good time though.

My intention saturday morning was to flush my antifreeze and get water wetter into the bike for the season. I ended up deciding swapping the brake pads would be a good call too, so I don't have to deal with cleaning the silicone more than once this season.

anyway, in the process of removing my right side caliper, I noticed it was covered in oil... Not good. My right fork is weeping pretty badly.

So my bike was supposed to be ready to ride by Saturday afternoon. This is how it currently sits:

1303131264.jpg

I figured if the front wheel needed to come off to get the fork work done, I may as well get the new tires mounted at the same time/place. Going to MPH Ohio tomorrow, unless anyoen has better recommendations in the Cleveland area.

I did help some random guy get his bike started. Some GSX-R that had to be bump-started. So.. at least I did something productive' date=' other than get wet.[/quote']

2 bump starts in 1 week, you're such a nice guy :D

Sorry I didn't make it out to play. The weather cleared up and the sun came out a couple of times Saturday afternoon, and given that the track is about 40 miles from my house, I was crossing my fingers that you guys would get a few dry sessions in during the afternoon.

Sounds like everyone had a good time though.

My intention saturday morning was to flush my antifreeze and get water wetter into the bike for the season. I ended up deciding swapping the brake pads would be a good call too, so I don't have to deal with cleaning the silicone more than once this season.

anyway, in the process of removing my right side caliper, I noticed it was covered in oil... Not good. My right fork is weeping pretty badly.

So my bike was supposed to be ready to ride by Saturday afternoon. This is how it currently sits:

I figured if the front wheel needed to come off to get the fork work done, I may as well get the new tires mounted at the same time/place. Going to MPH Ohio tomorrow, unless anyoen has better recommendations in the Cleveland area.

pauly's a bit further away in ravenna but I think he's worth the trip. i hear good things about MPH too, though.

Edited by jbot

Ok so here's my $.02 about the trackday...kinda bumed we only got to run 4 sessions (3 for me) but hey that's the risk we take when we go in the rain. Felt like I was improving really well but I don't know for sure. I posted the same complaint on the motoseries website and I will go a little further in depth here as I think more of the coaches would be read it here then on there. I or no one I spoke with got no personal feed back on areas we can need to work on, we had a really small novice class 12 people I think and 5 or 6 coaches.. I understand it was hard to get a good idea in the conditions we were riding in but I'm sure that's not the last time we will ever ride in the rain, I at least know personaly I will be at every track day I can.

I would of liked to do therace school on the next track day but without know what I was doing right or wrong I don't know if I'm ready.

did your group get to do the "leap frog" part of the instruction? that is normally when all the "try this, try that" suggestions come in from the coaches. I think due to the shortened sessions, the schedule got all messed up.

for the group I helped with, I offered advice to the one(s) that I saw were struggling, and answered questions anyone else had (including those from other groups). Actually, ray (the older gent on the blue SV) was tailing all the groups and told the one kid in my group that he would be bumping to a faster group, which is something I had been meaning to do after lunch.

If anyone feels like they are not getting individual attention, please ask for help. Any of the coaches are glad to help, and there are certain coaches that are there solely to float between groups to watch students from perspectives the group leaders can't see. But otherwise, most of the individual critiquing will come when you screw up visibly and during the leap frog sessions.

No there was no leap frog going on, I was in the fast group all day. I understand about the schedule being all jacked up and the weather being less then ideal and I still had a blast. But in a way other then just being on a track it almost feels like a waste. I don't know what I was doing right or wrong.

Sucks that you felt that way - just remember: coaching is HARD.

first of all, take it as a compliment that a coach wasn't tracking you down in the pits to talk to you. If they're "ignoring" you, it probably means you weren't being dangerous, and they had other people who needed help first.

That sucks when it comes to getting feedback and improving, but it's also usually a sign that you're doing something right; or better than most. The coaches' first job is to keep everyone safe - then they worry about making people faster.

Second, sometimes it's hard for even a coach to know what to say to you. I've followed friends of mine at other trackdays, and faster friends have followed me. nearly 100% of the time, the feedback I get is, "you look pretty good." Okay, great - then how you are turning laps 4 seconds faster than me if I "look pretty good?"

Especially in adverse track conditions, coaches are walking a fine line between advising you on how to go faster, and giving you advice that inadvertently causes you to crash and blame them.

Plus a lot of riding is between the ears. The vast majority of feedback I get; even from the best and most experienced coaches is, "just go faster." Basically, their advice is "you're doing everything right - now grow some balls."

I understand coacing being hard and like I've said conditions were less then ideal, but on the otherhand we had a 3 to 1, 4 to 1 ratio (sorry don't remember exact numbers) none of the OR coaches were a part of my group btw...either way I'm stoked about may and hoping for better track conditions and still toying with the idea of doing the race school

No there was no leap frog going on, I was in the fast group all day. I understand about the schedule being all jacked up and the weather being less then ideal and I still had a blast. But in a way other then just being on a track it almost feels like a waste. I don't know what I was doing right or wrong.

if you didn't the last time around, I would suggest asking for individual help and grab one of the floating coaches to have them follow you around.

the wet track turned the focus from "how to work on technique and going more quickly around the track" to "how to work on smoothness and not crashing newbs".

I personally was looking back every 5-10 seconds, right before corner entry and right after my corner exit. to get a idea of how everyone was doing and how the pace was... but I had a small group. When I'm better at it, I'll start looking back during the corner to watch peoples' corner entry as well, but that's something I have to work on.

I understand coacing being hard and like I've said conditions were less then ideal, but on the otherhand we had a 3 to 1, 4 to 1 ratio (sorry don't remember exact numbers) none of the OR coaches were a part of my group btw...either way I'm stoked about may and hoping for better track conditions and still toying with the idea of doing the race school

who was your coach, btw?

Random coaching story: I read this on the NESBA board, but apparently Nick Ienatsch can negotiate a turn at a decent "advanced" pace while pointing to the apex with his right hand, and manipulating the throttle with his LEFT hand.

He was riding an FZ1 with the standard 'clubman' style bars; thus why the trick was necessary. I would buy a picture of that though. Jinu & Craig, call me when you can do that :D

Random coaching story: I read this on the NESBA board, but apparently Nick Ienatsch can negotiate a turn at a decent "advanced" pace while pointing to the apex with his right hand, and manipulating the throttle with his LEFT hand.

He was riding an FZ1 with the standard 'clubman' style bars; thus why the trick was necessary. I would buy a picture of that though. Jinu & Craig, call me when you can do that :D

saved for later.

i'll only charge $15,000 per picture.

Nothing great just some early morning random shots. Didnt want the camera out in the rain. Hoping photographer and the guy in my group with the Go Pro comes through.

The GoPro Videos are pretty long...so Trying to trim them up and get them down to a file size I can upload. Here are a couple screen shots from the GoPro as well as some pics from the last session. There aren't really any cornering pics which kinda sucks but they wouldn't be that impressive anyway because of the rain. Oh well! Had a blast out there! Can't wait for a dry run!

Here's some screenshots from the GoPro:

5631550294_5e72a57693_b.jpg

You guys were pulling away out of 13 so I gave it some gas...

5631550130_9e15a45043_b.jpg

Whoa Girl!!!

5631549976_fe3d31922e_b.jpg

This is what it looks like on the back straight before getting splashed...

5631549794_9b2a2f9827_b.jpg

This is what it looks like on the back straight getting splashed at 100+!!!

Here are some various photos taken by a couple of my friends that came to the track. There aren't many because most of them came out blurry. It was his first time using my camera and with the rain I didn't let him play around with it much. Here's some good shots...

5630964557_5d828a3b50_b.jpg

5630965865_e01937a912_b.jpg

5631547318_d7ba03ca6c_b.jpg

5631545376_4a565332eb_b.jpg

5630960315_89f94eff27_b.jpg

5630959139_20c85aebd6_b.jpg

5630957493_f19e0376cb_b.jpg

5631539966_8fe443171e_b.jpg

5630954915_9d6104e7f2_b.jpg

5631537762_3185cdd431_b.jpg

5631535828_d4b43ed3fd_b.jpg

If none of those links work just go to the link below for the Flickr Stream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/captainkeyes/sets/72157626524640122/

Edited by CaptainKeyes
Put link to Set on Flickr and fixed links

Lol I don't remember his name was on a yellow suzuki...

That would be Carmen. They usually do they usually start following the students in session 5 to get a real good look at what is going on. That is when the feed back really comes into play. It's really hard to see what everyone is doing when you are taking a quick look back. Take the lack of feed back with a grain of salt, they usually do a good job. Also, if they don't say anything to you just ask. There may not be anything wrong with what you are doing.