Child Support Question

r6allstar

My fiance and I had our baby last November. We are still together and live together but since we are not married yet, and my son is receiving health insurance from the State, I am being forced to pay child support. I am fine with having to pay it, mostly b/c me paying for support and him being able to receive full insurance is worth it to me, contrary to him going on my insurance which is ridiculously expensive and doesn't cover much.

Anyway, I have the hearing at the child support office this Friday. Not sure what to expect. Am sure someone here has dealt with it. Anything good to know ahead of time?

Your screwed. I could write pages about how your gonna get screwed. There is no preparing.

Oh and one piece of advice is ask to see if u can do an agreed decision were u and her come to a conclusion on the amount and not go thru all the paperwork. In your case that may not be an option.

Edited by standout

I would say that since its your fiance and you live together you might be able to get out of it. but if not you can probably agree to a price and make it like 10 bucks a week or something stupid..

I want my child support! Oh that's right, I'm the dad so let's just let her off her responsibility. She's having a rough time and all, what with being on welfare, food stamps, disability, husband on unemployment, etc.

Oh sorry, this wasn't about me was it?

Rant off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone else disturbed by how quickly the responses went south. He asked "what to expect" not "how do I get out of paying" or "why should I have to pay".

w/e

I believe the Southern direction is based on our tax dollars paying for his sons insurance rather than him paying for it.

My ex filed against me after we split - but we weren't married, and the only reason I had to pay was because my ex pursued it.......the 4 years prior to that ( and we WERE living together ), I didn't have to pay anything and my ex had been getting WIC support as well -- so I'm assuming that due to insurance premiums the state's incurring is why they're going after you for support.......we all know how the states are, if it costs them.....it's gonna cost us.

That being said, you're in a bit of a different boat than I was........I'm not sure of the criteria involved when the STATE files against the father -- The only thing I do know is that your support payments will be affected by how much you make vs. how much your fiance' makes........So, if she makes close to the same as you do and you're in the $30k per year neighborhood, expect your weekly payments to be in the $60-$90 a week range ( it's a pretaxed deduction of course, so there's no claiming it :() and CSEA ( Child Support Enforcement Agency ) will get a cut of that each week - all in all, you'll throw away $40 or $50 a month on processing fee's but you're son is going to have decent health coverage for that $40 or $50 too -- well worth it if you ask me.

MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT MISS PAYMENTS!! I was told by my lawyer that if you miss 5 or 6 payments within 1 years time collectively, the state can come and take you away to jail -- even if you can only make a $5/week payment, make sure to send SOMETHING every week to keep them off your back - but anything you don't pay will go to "arrears" and stack up against you........Best of luck!!!

Edited by Hellmutt

I believe the Southern direction is based on our tax dollars paying for his sons insurance rather than him paying for it.

correct! $10 says they push back the wedding so that she can start or keep collecting WIC

Anything good to know ahead of time?

Jesus man, get a lawyer. Not because I think you want to get out...sounds like you are taking care of business. But you can't just show up and let the State decide what to do all on their own. Even if it is a mutual lawyer to represent both you and the Fiance you need a lawyer.

Basically it works like this. You make X amount of money. The mother makes Y amount of money. They add up X and Y and that puts you in a category. Based upon that category you spend 400 dollars per month on your child (just making up 400....the number changes based upon total income). If your income is 75 percent of the total income...then you pay 75 percent of that that category amount, so using my 400 dollar example you pay 300 per month.

Edited by Tonik
Too many paragraph breaks.

Being sarcastic....give the kid up for adoption...would they still go after the father?

What to expect? Expect charts and rules unless your wife says she only wants this amount but the insurance situation screws it all up. Before all that Don't give up your constitutional right as a parent. aka one person or the other has parental custody, aka shared parenting which is BS.

This is why this country is where it is

every body wants the goverment to thke care of them

If you had the balls to make a baby MAN UP and pay for it

don't expect the goverment to support you

Been and done this. If the child is receiving assistance your support will go toward offsetting his benefit. You will pay support plus insurance.

Oh by the way in your papers it probably says you need not show up this is a desk review. It will be sent through the court system after they figure what they want you to pay. Once they decide you may owe back support from the date papers are filed. I was behind $1000 by the time the figured it till it was made official.

If the child is handicapped this will also offset any federal benefit child may receive.

Or get married you won't pay support but you both combined may make too much for assistance.

My child receives all but two dollars a week that I pay in. And the insurance that I pay to the state is much cheaper than here at work. 85 a month compared to 170 a week. I DO NOT complain about what my child gets from me he deserves every penny. It's not his fault his mother and I don't get along.

It's tough being a young parent without a career. Hang in there.

Or man up to your responsibilities, do you want us to send you money directly?

Obviously you didn't read anything posted originally, so I am not going to address you being a dipshit. I quoted the important parts for you this time so that you don't get too confused and skip straight to the response of quite being a dead-beat dad.

... I am fine with having to pay it, mostly b/c me paying for support and him being able to receive full insurance is worth it to me, contrary to him going on my insurance which is ridiculously expensive and doesn't cover much.... Not sure what to expect. Am sure someone here has dealt with it. Anything good to know ahead of time?
Anyone else disturbed by how quickly the responses went south. He asked "what to expect" not "how do I get out of paying" or "why should I have to pay".

w/e

Yea, maybe we both missed something

correct! $10 says they push back the wedding so that she can start or keep collecting WIC

See above..

Sense, this thread makes none..

What needs to be clarified? I am asking how the process works for people who have gone through Child Support hearings.

Been and done this. If the child is receiving assistance your support will go toward offsetting his benefit. You will pay support plus insurance.

Oh by the way in your papers it probably says you need not show up this is a desk review. It will be sent through the court system after they figure what they want you to pay. Once they decide you may owe back support from the date papers are filed. I was behind $1000 by the time the figured it till it was made official.

If the child is handicapped this will also offset any federal benefit child may receive.

Or get married you won't pay support but you both combined may make too much for assistance.

My child receives all but two dollars a week that I pay in. And the insurance that I pay to the state is much cheaper than here at work. 85 a month compared to 170 a week. I DO NOT complain about what my child gets from me he deserves every penny. It's not his fault his mother and I don't get along.

It's tough being a young parent without a career. Hang in there.

Finally, a real answer. Thanks

Edited by r6allstar