BSing about my "someday" bike

redkow97

Reading a few other threads got me thinking about what I really value in a street bike.

I have said for a while now that my next street bike will probably be an SV650, but now I'm reconsidering.

My criteria are:

- lots-o-torque (i.e. I've all but written-off anything but a twin)

- cheap(ish). older is okay as long as i can find parts.

- easy to work on/low maintenance (possibly meaning air-cooled and/or belt drive, which is the only reason I remotely question the SV650)

- decently comfortable if I wanted to throw on luggage for a longer trip.

- handles well enough to have FUN at a trackday, but no misapprehensions about setting lap records. (i.e. XR1200 or other cruiser-biased bikes aren't off the table)

...did I just convince myself I want an older Ducati Monster 900?

SV1000 would be one I'd consider, but I have encountered a couple people with major issues with those.. I'd have to look up what they were, but it seemed semi common.

an RC wouldn't be comfortable enough to live with on a daily basis, or for long trips. Something like a SuperHawk might though.

Nothing bad to say about z1000 or FZ1, but they aren't cheap to buy or insure.

If I start leaning toward the liter I-4 route, I'd be more inclined to check out older Bandit 1200's, and just strip it down so it looks more like a naked SV650

Edited by redkow97

I hate to be that guy, but what about a VStrom? The DL650 and the DL1000 both fit what you're looking for minus the belt drive/air cooled. Honestly, I won't ever own another air cooled bike and I don't think belts are any better than chains.

first gen vmax.... tons of torque, cheapish, shaft drive so no sprockets or chain or belt to change (change fluid every 17k miles), not the most comfortable bike but with a good seat long rides are doable, and with a couple suspension mods you "could" hit the track....people do race them sometimes, but you wont be setting records....they even make rear-sets and clip ons to help give them a little more of a handling boost....and did i mention a ton of torque?

SV1000 would be one I'd consider, but I have encountered a couple people with major issues with those.. I'd have to look up what they were, but it seemed semi common.

an RC wouldn't be comfortable enough to live with on a daily basis, or for long trips. Something like a SuperHawk might though.

I just bought an SV1000S. Really good for what it is. Fully adjustable suspension, stiff frame, and the motor has plenty of low end grunt. Add hard bags and it would be a very sporty sport tourer.

I've not heard of major issues, but there are a few 'characteristics' to get used to...like a noisy clutch basket. But that may seem quiet compared to a Ducati Monster clutch.

Guys. He said "lots-o-torque". Ninja 1000? Really?

OP, you definitely just described a Tuono. If you didn't mention the luggage part and long distance comfort I'd have said RSVR1000.

Check. Not just numbers, proper low-end delivery.

$4500-7000. Parts are abundant through online sources

- easy to work on/low maintenance (possibly meaning air-cooled and/or belt drive, which is the only reason I remotely question the SV650)

Typical maintenance schedule, motors have been known to last 70,000+ miles with generic schedules.

Toss the bags on and ride upright wherever you want comfortably.

- handles well enough to have FUN at a trackday, but no misapprehensions about setting lap records. (i.e. XR1200 or other cruiser-biased bikes aren't off the table)

Oh, it handles well. :)

060402Tuono.jpg

OR

aprilia-tuono-1000r.jpg

OR

Aprilia_RSV1000R_2008_01.jpg

What kind of major issues? Only problem I've have in my 4 years and 36,000 miles is the stator just quit this spring. And the SV is easily set up for touring with a triple tree swap to the naked bars. The 650 is setup that way, but my 1000 has the stock clip-ons.

30671_448511398384_609538384_5709058_4643776_n.jpg

I found older (but still pretty low mileage) bandits for as low as $2300.

as much as I said I wanted a V-twin, I'm not sure I can beat the value of 100hp and 64ft-lbs. of torque at that price... The only real complaint about them is that they heat your legs a bit, and the stock suspension kind of sucks. Pretty much what I expect from a bike in that price range.

I did kind of want something loud and thumpy though :( we'll see SV1000 might be the other front-runner.

Nice pick up, but what prompted the purchase of a second large liquid-cooled twin?

I prefer twins & I seem to cumpulsively buy bikes :)

Plus, I got it for a deal. It has an LSL Superbike bar kit which is close to the naked SV1000 riding position (came with stock clipons too). Also has dual Microns (loud), a PCIII, and various other farkles.

You're welcome to take a look at it if you have any interest in the SV1K. I think you're about 2 miles from me.

P1010056.JPG?psid=1

P1010058.JPG?psid=1

P1010057.JPG?psid=1

Edited by Tpoppa

My criteria are:

Not that I'm necessarily recommending you buy one, but the only bike I can think of that meets all of your criteria, including optional hard bags, is the Buell Ulysses.

The trackday part was definitely the weakest link of the Ulysses, in terms of the original criteria. But on the other hand, I'd be just as happy on the track on a Ulysses as I would on a Bandit, which seems to be the most common suggestion.

Again, I wasn't recommending a Ulysses so much as pointing out that it met his criteria, particularly low maintenance, belt drive and air-cooled. Personally, I'd suggest something liquid-cooled and I wouldn't worry about whether it was chain, belt or shaft.