A question about a Trade....

BikerBoy

I've recently posted my 2003 Shadow Spirit 750, with almost 15k miles for a trade for a 600cc or bigger sport bike.

A guy emailed me offer me a trade with his lovely looking R1 2001 with almost 13k miles on it.

He asked for 500$ + the bike for his bike.

What do you guys think ? both bikes looks mint condition.

Thanks in advanced.

Thats a big step up from your shadow in power and less weight. They are good bikes and I like the older ones better then the new ugly ass ones they make now. When both bikes were new the r1 was sticker priced well over the shadow. I am not up on the resale value of either bike. check ebay-craigslist to see what similar bikes are selling for the deal seems pretty fair to me as long as his bike is ligit?

I've always averaged the KBB trade-in vs the retail to get a private party price.

2001 R1 = 3452

2003 Spirit = 2572

That's quite a difference, even with the $500. Take a closer look at the R1.

edit: perhaps not, if you've got a lot of bling on your bike...

Sounds like he wants out from that bike for some reason.

My guess would be that it might have a salvage title.

But what do I know, I'm probably paranoid and suspicious.

Get someone with an R1 to look at it for you, that works well.

Check the bike, check the VIN, check the lien, check the title.

https://www.dps.state.oh.us/atps/

And yes, there will be a learning curve for a liter bike. Take it easy the first year.

Edited by ReconRat

The title will say salvage on it if it has been totaled. Otherwise, you just have to look the bike i've well for evidence of crash damage. I just can't imagine someone wanting to trade a good R1 for a 750 Shadow, so it sounds fishy to me.

this is a pic that he sent me for the bike , i am gonna ,hopefully, go check it tomorrow0000091o.jpg

Anyone who knows about R1 would like to help me check this bike " in the area of Summit county , mostly akron or tallmage "

Thanks

Edited by BikerBoy

okay , i know i need to check for burnouts by checking the fenders , i know i should do all gears , hold front breaks , give it some gas and see if it slips out of gear, check tires , check for leaks , what else do i need to check for ?

of course i'll be checking for welding marks too , any other advice ?

talk with the guy. you are interviewing him as a rider to see if you would trust this person with a bike you are going to ride. just by making chit chat about riding you can tell if you should buy the bike or be worried its going to fall apart on the way home unless hes a pro liar.

The guy emialed me finaly " the 9th email " he decided to keep his bike.

Can a mod lock up this thread , thanks

Why would someone email u 8 times offering you a trade , and then decide to keep it .... people.

Thanks all for repleying to this thread .

I've always averaged the KBB trade-in vs the retail to get a private party price.

2001 R1 = 3452

2003 Spirit = 2572

That's quite a difference, even with the $500. Take a closer look at the R1.

edit: perhaps not, if you've got a lot of bling on your bike...

Sounds like he wants out from that bike for some reason.

My guess would be that it might have a salvage title.

But what do I know, I'm probably paranoid and suspicious.

Get someone with an R1 to look at it for you, that works well.

Check the bike, check the VIN, check the lien, check the title.

https://www.dps.state.oh.us/atps/

And yes, there will be a learning curve for a liter bike. Take it easy the first year.

Common misconception this part of the year. Books can be thrown out the window because supply < demand = higher pricing. Not to mention certain bikes just maintain a higher resale value. A 2001 R1 in a dealership this time of year is about a $4795 bike. A 2003 Shadow Spirits seem to be in the $4495 range. So the difference is not as much as you would think. I would check out that R1 very thoroughly though. Our greatest challenge as a dealership is buying sportbikes and spotting all if the little details about the bike to gather a full understanding of the condition. Something like a little glue residue around wheel weights on a bike. Guess what, that means it has been on the track more than likely because they taped their weights. Missing fairing bolt here or there? Probably have been taken off and put back on more than just a couple times. Lots of details to keep your eye open for.

Just so everyone knows, we offer a free inspection of any motorcycle you are buying no matter if it is from us or anyone else. We want to help everyone make the best decision for them. We can't beat out all individuals pricing, but we can at least make sure your not getting worked over by someone trying to pass their problems over to you.

• Upvote 1