What to do to a hayabusa

wht_scorpion

I was thinking of doing a track day on my hayabusa

Make sure it's a straight track.

J/k I haven't done any track days but I would say make sure everything is safety wired, have good rubber on it, and go slow til your comfortable with the track and leanin and what not. I have just recently wore my chicken strips down from about an inch and a half to about half an inch. So take your time, crashing sucks.

I did a track day once and got caught up with a hayabusa.. please please please when a small cc bike catches up to you and passes you through a turn dont show him the size off your penis just by passing him back on every straight possible. he will get out of your way in a few turns. other than safety wire, I would recommend water wetter for coolant i think some tracks and orgs. require it. other than that take it easy and prepare to get hooked.

if you're just looking to give track days a try, and you'll be doing novice group (if it's your first track day, that's a must), then depending on where you're going you just need the following:

full gear (helmet, suit of some kind, gauntlet gloves, recommend race boots, etc). All gear should be in good condition.

bike prep:

RTV silicone the oil fill and drain (wiring is recommended, not required for novice)

Painters tape over your headlights, tail lights, and turn signals and unplug them if you can so the light doesn't come on and distract other riders.

remove plates (and touring bags and the like if you have it).

all in all, as long as you have your gear, track prep takes all of 10 minutes. if you don't have a suit, rent one from the track day org (call them ahead of time).

the biggest problem is getting hooked and dumping thousands of dollars into the "hobby" every year after your first track day.

what Jbot said. I wouldn't modify the bike (permanently) at all. It's not an ideal bike to learn on, but it can still teach you a lot. Plus it will make you really appreciate how well a 600 handles if you choose to move to one.

Maybe I'm being a newb, but why the hell would you tape over the speedo???

because you should be looking down track or through the turn. Your speedometer doesn't dictate when you brake or accelerate, your reference points do (or should).

Plus when you're first learning, you really don't want to get it in your head that "I take turn X at 55mph," or you'll always be scared to go faster than that. My speedometer isn't taped over, but the ONLY time I look at it is if I'm bored on a straightaway; like accelerating in 4th gear, when I know I'm going to get to 6th before I need to brake.

I was thinking about getting another hayabusa just for the track thank for the input have to think about it. A winter project set up a bike for the track. I was reading some one said to down size the tire from 190 to a 180 and to lift the rear by 1 inch.

I have to research what 600 has the most power and what upgrade need to be done for the track

if you're looking for the 600 with the most power, just buy a 2006+ GSXR 750.

15 more lbs than a 600, and about 30 more hp...

you seem pretty concerned with horsepower though. I'd be more interested in cost of spares. with that said, 2004+ GSXR, or 2006+ R6.

Others with more track experience than myself can refute or substantiate my take, but I'm really of the opinion that there aren't a lot of tracks in the area that can accommodate a 1000's hp advantage. Yes, you will accelerate harder on a 1000 than a 600 in virtually any situation, but I don't think you'd ever use 6th gear unless you make the 9+ hour drive to Road America.

Mid-Ohio's back straight are the highest speeds I've encountered, and even geared down -1/+2, I barely tick the rev limiter in 6th if I get a good drive out of the keyhole. I figure I do about 145mph there. A good rider might get up to 160 on a 1000, but like I said, that still wouldn't be 6th gear...

I have to research what 600 has the most power and what upgrade need to be done for the track

+1 on purchasing a bike that is already track prepped and ready to go. You can spend thousands on a bike and upgraded parts and never get the money back out of it. Plus, most track bikes are not going to carry insurance and wadding up a really expensive bike, or worrying that you will, seems like a complete waste.

Well, that is at least the logic I applied after picking up my '08 Hyper from a minor drop at barber and it cost me $1k to replace the cosmetics.

Here are a couple options:

http://www.sttforum.com/sttforum/viewtopic.php?t=9516

http://www.sttforum.com/sttforum/viewtopic.php?t=9336

http://www.sttforum.com/sttforum/viewtopic.php?t=9620

http://www.sttforum.com/sttforum/viewtopic.php?t=9378

but then, if those are not enough for you:

http://www.romborossodoc.com/forum/index.php?topic=226.0