Tools... what do i need?

C-bus

I grew up in a house where my father had the local garage change the oil in the car and the lawnmower took a week-long vacation each spring to get ready for summer. That being stated, I want to learn some things about wrenching. I'm closing in on a few deals on some non-running/not-running-well 1970s/80s bikes and would like some opinions on what basic tools would be needed to be successful. As soon as I close the deal, I'll find a bike-specific manual and buy a set of torque wrenches. What else might be helpful knowing that I'll be working on carburetors, chains, clutches, brakes, etc....? Thanks in advance.

usually any of the "mechanic set toolboxes" will get you buy on 95% of the work that'll need done.

torque wrenches - micro and macro

larger sockets - axles, steering stems, etc

personal preference, but i prefer t-handle hex/allens instead of the allen keys that usually come with tool kits. pit posse has some great t-handle sets available.

usually any of the "mechanic set toolboxes" will get you buy on 95% of the work that'll need done.

personal preference, but i prefer t-handle hex/allens instead of the allen keys that usually come with tool kits. pit posse has some great t-handle sets available.

I prefer these:

001589610910.jpg

Go to sears and get a good mechanics tool set and a nice lockable box.

But the nice screw driver set and a get vice grips, the nice set of pliers (slip-joint, reg, dykes, ect). Get the allen keys that come with the plastic holder (saves so much time finding the right one).

If you need to save $$$ go with an all metric set.

Don't skimp- buy quality and buy them once.

• Upvote 1

Go to sears and get a good mechanics tool set and a nice lockable box.

But the nice screw driver set and a get vice grips, the nice set of pliers (slip-joint, reg, dykes, ect). Get the allen keys that come with the plastic holder (saves so much time finding the right one).

If you need to save $$$ go with an all metric set.

Don't skimp- buy quality and buy them once.

and i was told at sears you can get wrenches sets that are life garantee, break and replace no questions asked , check into that

What kind of bikes specifically, you are getting into whitworth thread years with the early 70's depending what you are wrenching on.

I tore down a '73 850 commando with just basic ratchets/sockets (metric, imperial and whitworth), allen headed sockets (the kind that chevy posted, you can torque with them), torque wrenches with adapters (1/4" and 1/2" click style, adapters for 1/4-3/8, 3/8-1/4, 1/2-3/8 so I have a range of 20 in. lbs to 150 ft lbs), some vice grips/wrenches (you will need to overlap sizes with the wrenches and sockets to torque bolts) and large sockets. Don't forget to have a mapp/propane torch laying around with a hammer and grinder; I have made many a specialized tooling (a few for bikes as well) which speeds up assembly greatly and much less costly. Also, band-aids; you will smash your fingers and bleed at least once

Get quality, especially if doing anything engine related (I'm sure you will be), craftsman works great for the price point. Husky won't fly, broke a socket loosening a bolt on an engine once and the ratchet mechanism later locked up (borrowing friend's tools, wasn't too happy they came back broken haha).

That is all I can think of right now, if I remember anything else I will post it up.

-edit-

PB blaster and an impact (hand style with a hammer end works) will do wonders for seized bolts that you don't want to drill out and replace. You will inevitably have seized and rusted tight screws on old bikes, and some will have to be drilled out, but I have found it useful.

What kind of bikes specifically, you are getting into whitworth thread years with the early 70's depending what you are wrenching on.

I tore down a '73 850 commando with just basic ratchets/sockets (metric, imperial and whitworth), allen headed sockets (the kind that chevy posted, you can torque with them), torque wrenches with adapters (1/4" and 1/2" click style, adapters for 1/4-3/8, 3/8-1/4, 1/2-3/8 so I have a range of 20 in. lbs to 150 ft lbs), some vice grips/wrenches (you will need to overlap sizes with the wrenches and sockets to torque bolts) and large sockets. Don't forget to have a mapp/propane torch laying around with a hammer and grinder; I have made many a specialized tooling (a few for bikes as well) which speeds up assembly greatly and much less costly. Also, band-aids; you will smash your fingers and bleed at least once

Get quality, especially if doing anything engine related (I'm sure you will be), craftsman works great for the price point. Husky won't fly, broke a socket loosening a bolt on an engine once and the ratchet mechanism later locked up (borrowing friend's tools, wasn't too happy they came back broken haha).

That is all I can think of right now, if I remember anything else I will post it up.

-edit-

PB blaster and an impact (hand style with a hammer end works) will do wonders for seized bolts that you don't want to drill out and replace. You will inevitably have seized and rusted tight screws on old bikes, and some will have to be drilled out, but I have found it useful.

I had to look up PB blaster... makes sense though. I'm looking at mid-70s Hondas... most likely a mid-'70s CB 750 right now, but there is also an early '80s Virago that caught my eye.

I've been a homeowner for 12 years now and have the basic tools including a quality socket set with an additional set of extra-long sockets, a quality DeWalt 18v, hex wrenches, Dremmel, etc... I also have some aptitude for fixing things, but not the experience. I'm looking for suggestions about tools that I just wouldn't have lying around... The BP blaster (I know it's lube, not a "tool"), torque wrenches, torch (don't have one, but I bet I'll need to learn to solder).... I know my finished product isn't going to be a show-quality restoration, but I'm looking for the pride of taking something that doesn't work and making it work.

Edited by C-bus

sears/craftsman. Around holidays. Buy yourself one of the big tool packs two to three ratchets. 1/4 3/8 and 1/2 inch. a medium size breaker bar. Bigger if you have bigger items. a set of good "through handle" screw drivers, of all sizes (and yes all - all the way up to the large almost pry-bar style). Damn good set of metric and sae hex wrenches. Get a combo pack at like lowes or somewhere that have them bundled. You get the seperate ones you will lose them. Its a rule of the garage, the garage itself will end up hiding them on you.

Oh, and build from there.

I happen to have a very nice Matco Tools 3/8 drive micrometer torque wrench for sale.

Does newton meters from 6 to 40 and inch pounds from 50 to 250. Matco Tools number TRB250 (look it up on their website ) Perfect condition and only about a year and a half old. Hardly ever used. I have too many torque wrenches. Lists for 269.99 I'm asking 100$.

If anyones interested shoot me a PM, pickup only. I don't want to ship it.

I am a mechanic on a lucritive auto manufacturer so this isn't junk.

Thanks

I stoped buying Sears tools because I get hassled every time.

Not sure why this would have happened. I've used Craftsman hand tools for 40+ years and actually have some that prolly date that far back. I have broken sockets and worn out several ratchets over the years and all I did was take them back to the retail store--without any receipt, mind you--hand 'em to the clerk, and then been told to go pick up a replacement. One time, on returning a broken 1/4" drive ratchet, they didn't have one in stock and they gave me a rebuild kit for the ratchet mechanism instead.

I'd love to have a true professional set made by Snap-On or Mac, but can't justify the 2x-3x cost. If you're a typical homeowner/backyard mechanic tool user, the Craftsman tools are all you'll ever need. One thing to watch out with Sears--at one time (not sure if they're still doing it) they sold two levels of hand tools, Craftsman brand and the 'Sears' brand. The latter were of lower quality and DID NOT have the lifetime warranty.