brake light question.

cOoTeR

I have a clear alternatives integrated tail light on my bike. The tail light, and turn signals work fine. The brake light doesn't work now. It had worked for about 1yr then quit. I recently had the levers and other controls off to get powdercoated. Is there a way that I could have messed em up then? My first guess is the fuse but will the tail light still work without the brake light fuse? Are they separate? I'm about to start looking onto it today but my plastics are aftermarket and a pain to remove and install. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

I have a clear alternatives integrated tail light on my bike. The tail light, and turn signals work fine. The brake light doesn't work now. It had worked for about 1yr then quit. I recently had the levers and other controls off to get powdercoated. Is there a way that I could have messed em up then? My first guess is the fuse but will the tail light still work without the brake light fuse? Are they separate? I'm about to start looking onto it today but my plastics are aftermarket and a pain to remove and install. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Did you try front and rear brakes? Your brake light switch could be out of adjustment now?

Yeah that's the first thing I did was check each front and rear with no luck. As in I pressed each lever to try to get them to light but they didn't. I see the rear adjustment but don't know how to adjust the front, is it adjustable as well? (the brake light switch).

Yeah that's the first thing I did was check each front and rear with no luck. As in I pressed each lever to try to get them to light but they didn't. I see the rear adjustment but don't know how to adjust the front, is it adjustable as well? (the brake light switch).

It should be, mine has a screw and nut on it. As you pull the lever, the screw press in on the switch.

Not trying to insult you but did you make sure the bulb(s) isn't (aren't) burned out?

so was the fuse bad? I'm assuming if it's wired like the OEM lamp (other than being integrated), there's probably just one fuse feeding it - if the fuse is good and neither brake switch actuates the lamp, could be bad spot/connection in the wiring or bad lamp? I would test the lamp if the fuse isn't the culprit

pretty sure they are led lights. check the fuses and if they are fine the brake light circuit may have failed. Check to make sure you are getting voltage to the tail light when the brake lever is pulled.

Didn't realize they were LED, but LEDs still fail.

pretty sure they are led lights. check the fuses and if they are fine the brake light circuit may have failed. Check to make sure you are getting voltage to the tail light when the brake lever is pulled.

This.

I'm going start taking fairings off and checking stuff. I gotta run to my dads to borrow a fuse tester. (i don't know that's not what its called but I know how to use it. Lol.)

I'm going start taking fairings off and checking stuff. I gotta run to my dads to borrow a fuse tester. (i don't know that's not what its called but I know how to use it. Lol.)

You should be able to see through the fuse to see if it's blown or not. Usually just translucent plastic with a metal strip in it. If the strip is broke, it's blown. Else you can just use an Ohmmeter.

You should be able to see through the fuse to see if it's blown or not. Usually just translucent plastic with a metal strip in it. If the strip is broke, it's blown. Else you can just use an Ohmmeter.

I've had fuses that I've checked visually they looked fine then I put the thing that looks like an ice pick/screwdriver with a light inside on it and it showed the fuse was bad.

Ok I feel like a jack ass. My bad guys this shoulda been the 2nd thing I checked. I grabbed the stock light and plugged it into the harness (under the seat didn't have to remove the light or fairing). It worked so I decided well I'll just reinstall the stock light. I was going to leave the bad one in so I could take the bike that way I'd have signals to run to iron pony grab some signals to go with the stock light. I plugged the harness back in and for whatever reason I checked the brake light. Wishful thinking, but it worked when I pressed the rear and front levers separately. Sorry for wasting your time but it was a loose connection. Thanks for the help guys. I feel like an idiot now.