NW Ohio chase..162MPH

Kritz

You can outrun a cessna if the road is straight and you keep it pegged AT 150+. Ride into the wind!

There's no bike faster than radio, though.

Good job by the police getting them both arrested without injuries. Dealing with a reckless bike must be real tough. If you hurt them then you're in deep shit. If you let them go and they hurt someone else then you're in deep shit. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

$120 fine for a minor misdemeanor speeding ticket (Or is it more now?), or jail time for felony eluding. Stupid is as stupid does. :nono:

Them damn planes, never know when they're up there. Reminds me of the time a Trooper was getting on the highway in front of me and I slowed down as not to pass him. Eventually we stuck his arm out of the window and flagged me over. As he approached me on the bike he could see my confusion and pointed to the sky where the Cessna was flying. He was pretty cool about it considering the rate of speed I was traveling on the open highway v. what the ticket was for.

Are the planes a common occurrence here? I have seen the hash marks on certain roads, but budget cuts and all, I would think just a crown vic would mark as many people as a cessna or chopper or something, and save some $. I think I have only seen a plane flying overhead once? Even then it could just be some guy jaunting around.

Dumb. You cannot outrun radios or the aircraft.

It's possible to outrun an aircraft under ideal conditions..

- long straight freeway with no other traffic

- Over 150mph for something like 20 miles

- You're running from a cessna or a lower powered helicopter. (Good luck outrunning a Dauphin II) Cessnas have a max airspeed only a little over 100mph. Their advantages are visual range and direct flight.

In the real world it's not feasible, but under ideal conditions I believe it would be possible.

Now I'm talking common police aircraft here - not military aircraft or multi-engine or jets.

• 1 month later...

I've never seen aircraft enforcement up in the CLE area. I've never heard of someone receiving an air ticket hereabouts, either. I would have said it was an urban myth that there was any kind of traffic-air around here if I hadn't read about the surveillance in the news story. Then again, a chase of bikes clocked at 150+ might get an air unit called out even if it didn't otherwise work traffic.

It's expensive to fly a police plane. Pilot, maintenance, fuel, time-to-overhaul on the engine, all of it--- it's got to cost a department a couple of hundred an hour. Consider, too, that there have to be ground units acting in concert to write any tickets, anyway. It's not clear to me that any increase in ticket revenues produced with aircraft assistance as compared to the same ground units writing up citations unassisted would justify the expense of the plane. That's what I would say, anyway, if asked to make a back-of-the-envelope calculation.

There are several places in Ohio where the aircraft can clock ground vehicles at a rate that would pay back the effort. Route 33 between Columbus and Lancaster is one of them.

In general, aircraft need only respond. Sensors along and in the roadway do most of the work in finding the high speed traffic.

edit: Road sensors are not wide spread that I know of. Not like they are in England where it also takes a picture and sends the ticket. Mostly it's to monitor traffic flow.

Edited by ReconRat

I've been pulled over 4 or 5 times for speeding in the last year and got let off with a warning every time. Amazing what pulling right over, being polite and respectful and having a ccw license and telling the cop as soon as he comes up regardles s of whether you're carrying or not can do for a cops attitude. I had a county sheriff let me go for 56 in a 45 three nights ago and those guys hardly ever give warnings.

If you hurt them then you're in deep shit. If you let them go and they hurt someone else then you're in deep shit. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If they kill someone while fleeing, that's felony murder. I wouldn't say it's really on the cops.

Now if the cops kill someone trying to keep up... Well, frankly I think the suspects should still be charged with felony murder, but I don't believe they would be.

If they kill someone while fleeing, that's felony murder. I wouldn't say it's really on the cops.

Now if the cops kill someone trying to keep up... Well, frankly I think the suspects should still be charged with felony murder, but I don't believe they would be.

The police have a responsibility to all of the community, and that means they have to consider the risks involved in chasing someone. If an officer is chasing someone whose only crime was that they ran off from a gas station wihtout paying then chasing them at triple-digit speeds creates too much risk to other road users when compared to the reward of catching the guy.

They have to balance risk and reward. If the car contains violent felony fugitives then the need to stop ithem is much greater, but it makes no sense to put people's lives in danger over a tank of gas, or a shirt shoplifted from walmart.

There should be no absolutes in deciding when to start and when to continue a chase. You can't say "No chases ever, not even if we see a child kidnapped into a vehicle" and you can't say; "We'll chase that stop-sign-runner at 150mph to the ends of the earth leaving wrecked cars and dead civillians in our wake..."

@scruit, I wasn't attempting to comment on when it is or isn't appropriate to pursue; only pointing out that the felony fleeing opens the door for felony murder charges where the riders would be legally responsible for any resulting deaths. How much moral responsibility would fall to the officers is definitely up for debate. Thankfully that wasn't a factor here.

I completely agree that there's a risk/reward factor to consider, and the police have an obligation to ensure that the "cure" isn't worse than the "disease."

They need an 'eye in the sky' over 270 during business hours of high traffic counts. My wife drives it twice a day and between the cutters and the texters all running bumper to bumper at 70 + mph it is one dangerous stretch. The police coverage is horribly lacking.....