NW Ohio chase..162MPH

Kritz

They operate alot in the Akron & Wooster area - got a ticket courtesy of one a few years ago.

FWIW OSP uses pretty nice Cessna 182s, which will usually do 140-165mph (airspeed) flat out. It can be kind of exciting to fly near them sometimes - single pilot and they're usually looking down.

@scruit, I wasn't attempting to comment on when it is or isn't appropriate to pursue; only pointing out that the felony fleeing opens the door for felony murder charges where the riders would be legally responsible for any resulting deaths. How much moral responsibility would fall to the officers is definitely up for debate. Thankfully that wasn't a factor here.

I completely agree that there's a risk/reward factor to consider, and the police have an obligation to ensure that the "cure" isn't worse than the "disease."

Understood. I believe that a fleeing suspect should be held responsible for any accident that can be blamed on the pursuit, and that any death should be charged as voluntary manslaughter - even if the police car is the one that crashes. The only defense would be that the officer took risks that would shock the conscience of a reasonable person AND it was the police car that crashed.

Example would be if a cop turned around and drove the wrong way on a freeway to backtrack to an exit ramp that the speeder had made but the cop missed. That would be an extreme risk not justified by any sensible reasoning. If the police car crashes under those circumstances then the fleeing driver would not be responsible for the crash.

In any other case where the officer's actions do not shock the conscience of a reasonable person the bad guy should be criminally charged for any damage, injuries or deaths that result from the chase. I'd be ok with reckless intent as mens rea.

Oh, and autocorrect hates latin words.

Wow. Ignorance is bliss. I've driven or ridden down to No VA several times a year for years. Sometimes I cruise down 77 to 70, then go through WV and MD.

Once I got away from the Canton area I kind of felt like I was home free. OSP lurks here and there, but I didn't expect any air power. I don't make news footage, I just ride a bit faster than traffic, but still...

Someone above said they have 182's. Just for information's sake, if any of you know about small aircraft, and at least one of you posted some of the specs of that plane, you'll know the 182 is faster than the 172 (or 152) that is more common in small airports. Even under ideal conditions it would be hard for the fastest sport bikes to get away from such a plane.

Anyway, some of your bike are hella fast, but my bike isn't outrunning any planes, to say the least.

Any of you who got dinged by the air, do you remember which agency is was that wrote you up? OSP or locals? (OSP might fly for other agencies, I guess, but I'm just curious.)

Any of you who got dinged by the air, do you remember which agency is was that wrote you up? OSP or locals? (OSP might fly for other agencies, I guess, but I'm just curious.)

Almost certainly OSP, they run the only plane(s) I know of. However, they do work with other agencies in larger operations so it is possible that an OSP pilot communicated to a non-OSP officer who ended up stopping and citing the speeder.