Nelson Ledges w/ Moto Series 7/16/11

rubbersidedown

Someone went down on the back straight before the kink? WTF? and on an RC51, that is a rough day. Been there doen that in the Esses at Mid O and bus stop in Putnum, and fixing those bikes is $$$$.

I heard from the instructors that he was trying to make a pass on the outside on the back straight and ran out of room, got close to the other bikes and sort of panicked and went off the edge of the track. I don't know how fast he was going but I know I glanced down at the speedometer on the back stretch before the kink in like turn 10 and was going about 125-130mph indicated.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The times went down from saturday on the crapwagon. Hell John managed a 1:15.7 on lap 6 for us.

I just saw that. Damn impressive on that bike. John's used to the chassis, given that he's got the same generation 750, but I am confused about how he can give up 150 cc's, and probably 25hp, but turn a lap ~3 seconds faster than he had on Saturday!

I have hit a temporary wall at Nelson. Might need to bug someone for some help to tell me where I'm slow. I pointed out turns 3, 4, and 12, but I'm sure there are other places I'm pussing out too.

you know what tires John was running?

I am trying to figure out if I'm really approaching the limits of Q2's, or if it's all in my head.

I have a new Q2 rear that I need to use, but after that, I'm strongly considering DOT race tires; likely Pirellis, as they seem to be the most reasonably priced.

Mine was in Open when the kid crashed to pull the red flag. The one with ice on his shoulder broke his scapula.

I saw the RC51 guy rolling around, he ended up with a broken collar bone.

Someone went down on the back straight before the kink? WTF? and on an RC51, that is a rough day. Been there doen that in the Esses at Mid O and bus stop in Putnum, and fixing those bikes is $$$$.

Congrats on winning, did you say there were 2 teams total entered? or only 1 other team that completed it, and was a lap down?

You are correct, one group was passing another and some of the riders of the slower group starting moving towards the passing group.

Yes, that is how he said it happened. His group was passing and the slower group moved out to set up for the kink and he got pushed off the track. He did not break his collar bone (that would have been better). His shoulder socket blew out. He had surgery Sunday morning and he is at home resting now.

well the problem was that the instructor was holding the students on the inside of the track to allow the other group by, the slower group just didn't stay in line.

Even so, they had said multiple times that if you can't make the pass before getting close to the kink, waint until next time and let your group go. I had to do it during one of the sessions.

Even so, they had said multiple times that if you can't make the pass before getting close to the kink, waint until next time and let your group go. I had to do it during one of the sessions.
they also said not to move back into the race line until the instructor does

Sounds like 2 wrongs = crash.

unfortunate, hope he heals quickly.

Craig

I missed Monday as I spending plenty of seat time on the porcelain throne.:(

might have been the heat, Marty. that is a symptom of heat exhaustion (along with nausea, headache, fatigue, etc.).

looking forward to seeing the pics! hopefully the low-angle got at least one of me! (you had it setup in the carosel, right?)

Dude uh, what in the fuck was that moron doing? I hope he is fine, but uh, that was totally unacceptable in about every aspect. Let's start with that being N(correct me if I am wrong), but I believe they said at least 6 feet passing on the outside, not ride up someone asspipe and then eat shit off the track, could easily have braked before that happened.

Next, he wasn't even close to making a pass, did he just decide to ride the dude and not give him a kiss after he ate shit? I mean, that might have been the worst attempt ever at passing or anything for that matter.

Like I said, I hope he is fine, that bike looked f'd hard with several K worth of repairs. But after that fact I hope a coach, or Todd, or both, will really let him know that basically everything he just did was out of the realm of how it should have gone down.

Maybe I am wrong on this, but he was about 6 inches from that dude and not even making a true pass, just riding up on him. And from the looks of it, the dude in front was NOT in the group being passed, so he was out of line there too.

People need to remember these are not dick measuring contest, they are SAFE, controlled environments, to learn, not try to pass everyone and look sweet.

I know I got stuffed by an instructor at Mid O last week, and had he not given me the sorry waive, I would have said something to him after the session too. But he did, and he recognized he was in the wrong.