Ice Cream Rides - I Need New Destinations

Jcarlson

Well.. I suppose i will do my monthly log in.. Been having problems lately and its just easier to not see everyone posting, and having fun. You dont care about all that.. You care about ice cream!

I'm betting more of us care than you think! Bu8t yeah, this thread IS about ice cream! :D

I'm glad to see you check in man!

Well.. I suppose i will do my monthly log in.. Been having problems lately and its just easier to not see everyone posting, and having fun. You dont care about all that.. You care about ice cream!

From Westerville.. Head out past the zoo, stay along the East side of the river... And there is (or used to be) a really nice ice cream place out in Prospect. I havent been there for awhile.

Not sure of all the names of roads..from memory it would be.. Straight North down riverside/257. There are several little pull off areas down there.. Several are good for pictures, or picnics. Personally, I like the last one the best.. I believe it is Park P. Also, there is the Scioto Park, depending where at you jump on riverside from. It's always nice to get a pic in front of the Leatherlips statue. That thing is pretty cool.

Go Straight across Rt42 to Klondike rd. Not much traffic from here on out. (Sadly, since I have been very inactive lately.. But Cooter lived just a few minutes from there.. He still might. I won't name the actual road due to his privacy!)watch for rough roads from here to prospect. Nothing to worry about unless your trying to speed.

Take that all the way to rt36. Turn left down 36 for a few hundred ft.. And then turn Rt onto... warrenrd (name might be wrong). You will come to a stop sign about 2 miles down the rd. There are some nice orange flowers by the bridge there. Usually, the trees (some are Mulberry trees if you like those) on the other side of the road, can provide enough shade if you need a break.

Turn Rt. ontowarrensburg rd. Less than a mile, sharp right hander (15 or 25mph type), then a couple hundred feet up a hill you,

Turn Left onto Hodges rd. Another mile down the rd,

Turn Left on 37, for maybe 500ft.

Turn Right onto River Rd. The first mile there, is almost like you are driving through a tunnel of trees. It's probably my favorite part. There is a small pull off area for pics along the river.. Or often you can just park in the center on the rd. for pics.I wouldn't due to blind corners and traffic Anyways, you get to stay on River rd for probably 10 miles now. There is a stop sign, you cross over Radnor rd, and there is a Y in the road, you just stay left. Real easy.

You run into a stop sign at 203/main st, you turn Left for .1 miles or so,

then branch off to your Right onto Elm St.

It's less than .5 miles down the road, on your left hand side. I don't remember then name off hand.

Notable mentions. Waldo is close to Prospect.. They have the semi-famous G&R tavern. Famous for fried bologna sandwiches of all things.

to get to waldo from prospect follow these directions to the y at elm after that turn right on 47, take it till it dead ends turn left. This will run you into waldo. There are 3 restaurants and 1 ice cream shop here, all worth the trip.

There is also a Blues Creek Preserve, (outside of ostrander) and a Galant Nature Preseve (few miles NW of delaware) both are a nice little quiet place to stop. They both have little hiking trails as well.

From Scioto park, to Prospect.. Going the speed limit, (which is under 55 in several places), I would guess it would be a 1 hour ride, each way. It is just a nice, easy, laid back, scenic type of route, with usually very little traffic. It is at it's best, during spring and fall, when the flowers are blooming, and the leaves are changing. Women really seem to enjoy that route from my experience. It's also a popular route for bicycles. Last I was on those roads.. There was some gravel in a couple of the curves, but going the speed limit, I had no problem avoiding any of it.

If I managed to screw up the names of the roads.. I'm sorry.. The turns should be accurate though! If you can't figure it out on google, let me know. It's a good way to spend a couple hours, or could make a day of it if you wanted to stop at some of the parks. Blues Creek Presere is a pretty nice place to stop, but the bathrooms are horrible! Galant Nature Preserve has normal bathrooms, but not as big of a place as Blues Creek!

If you need one.. It is within my current mileage range, and I could play tour guide.. Or I'm sure Cooter knows all those roads too!

:busa:

I added some input. If any of yall are planning on coming out this way give me a shout I may be down to ride.

this is a great thread!

cause when we go on bike trips one of my favorite things to do is find mom and pop places to eat.

i like eating at local, authentic, been around forever joints that you wouldnt find any where else.

I highly recommend Handel's Homemade Ice Cream. There was one over by me at Gender and Refugee, but they closed it down :nono: Looks like the only one by C-bus is in Powell now. Here's a list of their locations (I'm not sure where some of the other cities are). They would have good daily specials too. I think I always used to go on Thursdays when they had buy one pint, get one free. I'd just take it home and throw it in the freezer. Not as easy to do on a bike though.

Here's a flavor list! Their seasonal flavors are sooo good too.

I'd be down for an ice cream riding group lol.

^^^Chocoholic Chunk is the shit! I didn't know they had those down that way though, I think they originated in Cleveland. I have one about 2 miles from my house.

If you're ever up in the NEO area I also highly suggest:

Country Made Ice Cream - http://www.yelp.com/biz/country-maid-ice-cream-richfield

Honey Hut Ice Cream - http://cleveland.about.com/od/foodstores/p/honeyhut.htm

East Coast Custard - http://www.eastcoastcustard.com/

Rosati's Custard - http://www.rosatisfrozencustard.com/

Edited by Bad324

Great minds think alike. I almost put down HH too! They are awesome!!! My parents just took their bikes out for a ride and went there about a week ago. Of course they had to tell me to torture me. The chocolate pecan is my favorite. That's one of only two things I miss about living up there. The second is the Metroparks system.

Great minds think alike. I almost put down HH too! They are awesome!!! My parents just took their bikes out for a ride and went there about a week ago. Of course they had to tell me to torture me. The chocolate pecan is my favorite. That's one of only two things I miss about living up there. The second is the Metroparks system.

ah yes another Cleveland hater. but yes I've grown up on Honey Hut since the time they only had 1 store on State Road on the Cleve/Parma border. Used to play baseball right down the street and we'd go after almost every win

In Delaware there's one at 42 and south sectionline rd. I can't remember the name. Near the 36/37 split on the 37 side there is dairy point. In town there is the dairy depot I believe its on n. Sandusky street. Out in the town of ostrander on 36 there's a shell station called midway market and they have a great ice cream shop inside. Then in the towns of prospect and waldo they have ice cream shops but I don't know the street names.

I second this.

Btw, Cooter, do you hang out at Tavern 42? Cause we do.

ah yes another Cleveland hater. but yes I've grown up on Honey Hut since the time they only had 1 store on State Road on the Cleve/Parma border. Used to play baseball right down the street and we'd go after almost every win

I was born up there and lived there for 19 yrs. I don't hate it, but I certainly don't miss it. My parents are still up there. The store you mention is the one my parents always used to take me to.

I was born up there and lived there for 19 yrs. I don't hate it, but I certainly don't miss it. My parents are still up there. The store you mention is the one my parents always used to take me to.

yea. I love it here. Lived in Cinci for 5 years and Indy for almost a year and neither of them could touch the awesome of Cleveland that I love

Someone mentioned frozen custard!!! YUM, YUM!!! I'm originally from Rochester NY and we have :bow: Abbott's Frozen Custard and it's the best, hands down. Abbott's has been the Mecca of F.C. since dinosaurs roamed. I moved to C-bus in 1990 and was blown away by the fact there was no F.C. here. Not until the past five years or so did it make it's way down here. There are some good ones - like Whit's in Sunbury and Johnstown, but nothing compares to Abbott's. Sorry guys.

http://abbottscustard.com/

Someone mentioned frozen custard!!! YUM, YUM!!! I'm originally from Rochester NY and we have :bow: Abbott's Frozen Custard and it's the best, hands down. Abbott's has been the Mecca of F.C. since dinosaurs roamed. I moved to C-bus in 1990 and was blown away by the fact there was no F.C. here. Not until the past five years or so did it make it's way down here. There are some good ones - like Whit's in Sunbury and Johnstown, but nothing compares to Abbott's. Sorry guys.

http://abbottscustard.com/

I'm not the biggest custard fan but I must say the 2 I listed are absolutely amazing and I would almost pick going their than some of the hard serve ice cream

Saw the ice cream stops. Utica at Mill. A lil' farther east swing by Dresden. Popeye' s not a mom & pop, owned by basket company folks, but malt shop format. Loudonville a corner cafe opened not ice cream any more...across from bank in town center. Not quite the mom & pop stands but nice area to ride.

Ah heck just go to Roscoe Village in Coshocton.....Capt. Nye's custard ice cream.....then walk around and look at stuff.

Edited by littlecarbsbigsmiles

• 3 weeks later...

There's a new place that opened by me in the Giant Eagle Plaza corner of State St & Maxtown/Polaris pkwy in Westerville. It's called "Orange Leaf". It's not ice cream but rather frozen yogurt - self serve frozen yogurt.

You go in and grab a bowl - either large or LARGER. There are eight self serve machines on the walls with different flavors. There are two flavors per machine and they can go together - like Pineapple and Coconut. Pull the left handle and you get one flavor, the the right handle you get the other, or pull the center and get a twist. It's a typical soft serve machine. You can take whatever kind(s) and however much you want.

As you work your way toward the cashier you come to the toppings bar. Everything from fruit to nuts to cereal to syrups. When you get to the cashier you put your bucket on the scale. You pay by the ounce and it's $0.49 per oz.

It's a little pricey and you'll think you were back in six grade with all the kids running around, but it's not a bad gig the guy has going on. It's worth trying atleast once, plus it'll give you a reason to ride!!

My fav is Pineapple & Strawberry with Cap'n Crunch w/Crunch Berries, sliced strawberries, crushed graham cracker and Raspberry syrup!!

It's da BOMB!! Go check it out and see for yourself.

Jim