Restaraunt Carry Bill SIGNED into LAW

chevysoldier

Yep, it happened today. Remember, this does NOT take effect yet. Plan on it about the end of September.

Governor Kasich Signs Restaurant Carry into law.

Written by Jeff Garvas

Thursday, 30 June 2011 15:44

Just over an hour ago I had the honor of watching Governor John Kasich sign Senate Bill 17 and House Bill 54 into law in the Cermony Signing room of the Ohio Statehouse in Columbus, Ohio. I was joined today by our legislative coordinator Gary Witt, a long-time coordinator (and key HB203 architect) Mike Kinsey, and members of our legal counsel team including Mr. David Kessler, Esq. and Derek Debrosse, Esq.

Shortly after concealed carry became law in 2004 it became quite obvious that one of the biggest flaws in our law was the fact that you couldn't walk into most restaurants. Within a year the Ohioans For Concealed Carry Board of Directors concluded that this topic was one of the most requested and sought after fixes from our supporters. We regularly tried to make this an issue that got traction, but it always fell to the side of other equally important topics - such as statewide preemption.

Finally, in 2009, we wrote our own law and started shopping the concept to various law makers. Since the day that the Legislative Services Counsel came back with our proposed legislation with virtually no changes this legislation has existed as a bill under consideration in one form or another. As you read our website today you will find a story by Gary Witt that goes into the very nitty gritty details of what it took to make this law happen over the past three years. If you appreciate the hard work and effort that went into this, help us grow our influence by signing up friends and family you see over the Fourth of July as members of Ohioans For Concealed Carry.

Finally, an article on our website by Phil Mulivor aims to explain to you exactly what is changing in Ohio law in an incredibly easy to read manner. Watch for these to appear today on our website.

It is vital that you walk away with this understanding: If the bill is filed with the Secretary of States office today (June 30th), I expect it to "go into effect" on Thursday, September 29th. If the bill isn't considered filed until Friday (July 1st), I do not expect the bill to "go into effect" until Friday, September 30th -- what this basically means is DO NOT start carrying a firearm in your vehicle or a restaurant as if these new regulations exist, because "legal day one" is not until this fall.

As of 4:55pm the Secretary of State's office advised Ohioans For Concealed Carry they have not received the law. Once that date is absolutely finalized by the Ohio Secretary of State's office we will publish it on our websites.

Edited by chevysoldier
Bolded text

Everyone read this twice. It is NOT in effect now. We have a bit more to wait.

It is vital that you walk away with this understanding: If the bill is filed with the Secretary of States office today (June 30th), I expect it to "go into effect" on Thursday, September 29th. If the bill isn't considered filed until Friday (July 1st), I do not expect the bill to "go into effect" until Friday, September 30th -- what this basically means is DO NOT start carrying a firearm in your vehicle or a restaurant as if these new regulations exist, because "legal day one" is not until this fall.

woot now i can carry in chipotle without being a felon

Some you can anyway. I was surprised when the wife and I went into one and Cleveland that served alcohol. Most chipotles I've been to don't serve alcohol.

Some chuckee cheeses serve alcohol which I find odd!

Some you can anyway. I was surprised when the wife and I went into one and Cleveland that served alcohol. Most chipotles I've been to don't serve alcohol.

Some chuckee cheeses serve alcohol which I find odd!

all the ones on the east side serve alcohol...havent been to many more, i assumed they all did

mehro3503.jpg

If the business is on private property, the owner can still keep you from carrying by posting a No Guns Allowed sign, which most already have. So...unless the owner is Pro Carry....don't expect a lot of change.

true - but isnt that just "youre not allowed to carry that here - please leave" not "oops - you dun fucked up, welcome to rape-me-in-the-ass prison for a felony?"

as for these signs....ive not seen one on any place ive been to besides my school....no restaurants or stores around here have them that ive noticed, and ive been looking...so "most" dont already have them, at least not around here

Beer ≠ liquor.

One of the last amendments before final passage:

(F) As used in this section' date=' "beer" and "intoxicating liquor" have the same meanings as in section 4301.01 of the Revised Code.[/u']

I don't see how they can stand on that' date=' alone. The ORC states:[/quote']

Are you one of those people? The ones that read a sign that says "Caution coffee is Hot" then buy a french vanilla coffee, spill it on yourself and sue, because the sign didn't say "French Vanilla Coffee is Hot"? The law allows you to carry into restaurants that serve alcohol, most beer contains alcohol. However, if they have rubbing alcohol you better run outta that place cause that is a totally different type of alcohol and therefore not covered. :nono:

Are you one of those people? The ones that read a sign that says "Caution coffee is Hot" then buy a french vanilla coffee, spill it on yourself and sue, because the sign didn't say "French Vanilla Coffee is Hot"? The law allows you to carry into restaurants that serve alcohol, most beer contains alcohol. However, if they have rubbing alcohol you better run outta that place cause that is a totally different type of alcohol and therefore not covered. :nono:

lulz

my conceal carry book says anywhere with a class d license - doesnt chipotle need a class d license to serve beer for consumption? im looking at the book now, and it says "Class D permits are generally issued to an establishment that sells alcohol for consumption on the premises."

I was carrying before carrying was cool and I'll carry after the fad has wore off too. All my favorite pasta joints serve the nectar of the gods and I don't disarm to eat now so this bill doesn't change anything. Nothing comes between me and pasta but a fork.

Your conceal carry book doesn't trump ORC. Show me the ORC that says that.

show me the ORC saying that you can carry where beer is served? the book is from the ohio attorney general's office, i see no reason why it would be inaccurate...not saying it isnt, but show me where in the ORC it says what youre saying it does...i went to the ORC site and searched liquor and didnt get any valid hits

Ohio Liquor Contol Class D liquor permit types:

RESTAURANT / NIGHT CLUB

D1 ORC 4303.13 Beer only for on premises consumption or in sealed containers for carry out

D2 ORC 4303.14 Wine and certain prepackaged drinks for on premises consumption or in sealed containers for carry out

D2X ORC 4303.141 Beer only for on premises consumption or in sealed containers

D3 ORC 4303.15 Spirituous liquor for on premises consumption only until 1:00am.

D3X ORC 4303.151 Wine only for on premises consumption only until 1:00am.

D3A ORC 4303.16 Extend issued permit privileges until 2:30am.

D5 ORC 4303.18 Spirituous liquor for on premises consumption only, beer and wine for on premises, or off premises in original sealed containers, until 2:30am.

D5I ORC 4303.181 Beer and intoxicating liquor by the glass or container for on premises consumption only until 2:30am.(restaurants meeting certain criteria)

D7 ORC 4303.183 Beer and any intoxicating liquor by the glass or container for consumption on the premises only until 2:30am. (RESORT area ONLY).

according to this, chipotle would fall under a D1 liquor permit

and i just found this

· What is a Class D establishment?

Liquour licenses are distributed by class in the State of Ohio. Any establishment that serves alcohol has a Class D liquor permit/license. However, any merchant that sells sealed liquor on a Sunday also has a Class D permit for Sunday Sales. It is very important to realize that the concealed carry restrictions prohibit a licensee from being in a Class D establishment that serves alcohol.

Sec. 2923.121: (A) No person shall possess a firearm in any room in which liquor is being dispensed in premises for which a D permit has been issued under Chapter 4303. of the Revised Code or in an open air arena for which a permit of that nature has been issued.

The Attorney General's office has stated as follows:

...The law prohibits carrying a weapon in a room in a Class D establishment where liquor is being dispensed. Thus, it would be possible to carry a firearm in a hotel lobby (assuming the hotel has not prohibited firearms) or meeting room.

Mark Gribben

Director of Constituent Services

Office of Attorney General Jim Petro

recap: it's illegal to carry in a class D establishment. chipotle has a class d license, even if they only serve beer and soda. you have been carrying in chipotle illegally (its ok...i do it too ;) ).

Edited by Steve Butters