Best State To Ride In

ReconRat

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/motorcyclists-florida-tops-list-of-best-states-to-ride-2011-06-29?reflink=MW_news_stmp

From Progressive insurance, they factored in:

-- number of good riding days (based on temperature and precipitation);

-- likelihood of getting into a motorcycle crash;

-- percentage of smoother riding roadways;

-- population density; and

-- average price for a gallon of regular gasoline

and came up with:

Progressive's list of best states to ride

1. Florida

2. Georgia

3. Arizona

4. South Carolina

5. Kansas

6. Mississippi

7. Oklahoma

8. Arkansas

9. North Carolina

10. Iowa

11. Alabama

12. Texas

13. New Mexico/West Virginia (tie)

14. Nebraska

15. Tennessee

16. Hawaii

17. Kentucky

18. Louisiana

19. Ohio

20. Utah

That list must be for cruisers, I lived in Florida and yes the weather is great, road surface is smooth but There are so many more elderly pulling out in front of you because they can't see you and there are zero curves with the exception of the interstate clover leafs. We would spend hours running the clover leafs. :)

Yeah, Florida is pretty lacking in roads that turn or go up and down. Definitely cruiser-ville.

Would it be a surprise to know that there are way more elderly retired drivers in Ohio than in Florida? Except maybe during Snow Bird season...

I would probably agree with that but the snowbird season is the best time to ride as far as weather which is why they are down there. Most of the snowbirds are probably from Ohio.

hawaii.

ride the hana highway on maui. it would be perfect if there were not tourists everywhere in their PT cruiser or droptop mustang rental cars.

also, haleakala road.

check em out on google maps/earth or youtube.

Duh, it doesn't include anything relating to "fun" to ride... it's essentially riding days and likelihood of being hit by someone else, it's a objective study to avoid any "I disagree with that opinion!"... which is clear from the "factored" yet you people still jump in and say "ZOMG I DISAGREE!"

Clearly' date=' nobody involved w/ that study rides a motorcycle. :facepalm:[/quote']

fixed to reflect how progressive is out of touch with real life :D

Edited by buildit

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/motorcyclists-florida-tops-list-of-best-states-to-ride-2011-06-29?reflink=MW_news_stmp

and came up with:

Progressive's list of best states to ride

1. Florida

2. Georgia

3. Arizona

4. South Carolina

5. Kansas

6. Mississippi

7. Oklahoma

8. Arkansas

9. North Carolina

10. Iowa

11. Alabama

12. Texas

13. New Mexico/West Virginia (tie)

14. Nebraska

15. Tennessee

16. Hawaii

17. Kentucky

18. Louisiana

19. Ohio

20. Utah

Fail ---list made by people who dont ride.......

Holy shit California isnt even in the top 20?!

Insurance sales were down there so they dropped them from the ranking. :rolleyes: What I wanna know is how the f did Kansas make it on the list? :nono: No real motorcyclist would ever choose Kansas as a good motorcycle state. Even the interesting parts are boring. :rolleyes:

Edited by buildit

From what I heard, CA has some great roads, especially in the northern part of the state. Outrageous fines for traffic violations, which is why it might not be listed here.

So you haven't heard about the outrageous fines Flordia has for motorcycle violations ranging from noise to stunting and riding over the limit by more than 20 mph which do not apply to cars, just bikes.:nono:

From what I heard, CA has some great roads, especially in the northern part of the state. Outrageous fines for traffic violations, which is why it might not be listed here.

Did a riding vacation of about 2900 miles in north california - awesome place to ride.

Florida, Kansas, Iowa? BS....

Other than lane-splitting, California is doing everything it can to destroy the sport. I'm sure the riding is extraordinary, but putting it on the list would be sacrilegious. Communist bastards.....:nono:

Yeah, Florida is pretty lacking in roads that turn or go up and down. Definitely cruiser-ville.

Would it be a surprise to know that there are way more elderly retired drivers in Ohio than in Florida? Except maybe during Snow Bird season...

I ride a cruiser and Florida sucks. So does most of the ride there.

So far in my experience New Mexico is the best state to ride in. Great weather, beautiful country, 75 mph speed limit on sweeping mountain highways and no traffic. Ride I25 for a day along the Rio Grande and you feel like it still 1875, and you are trailblazing on a horse getting ready for a shootout at the next pass. :)

Other than lane-splitting, California is doing everything it can to destroy the sport. I'm sure the riding is extraordinary, but putting it on the list would be sacrilegious. Communist bastards.....:nono:

I never had any issues in Cali. I enjoyed riding in Cali more than here. So many beautiful sites to ride with in the back ground...

If you think Cali is communistic you need to read some of the regulations placed on Florida riders. I didnt have issues the short time i was there with a bike.

Youd be hard pressed to find a more scenic and serene ride then pacific coast highway. The mountains in Cali (Socal and Norcal are amazing).