Excellent Middle SW Ride

Pfloydgad

Well my trip on the Roadrunner ride didn't happen due to a change in a family thing, but I did an excellent run described here:

Started the trip from my home here in Springfield around 10am, headed S on 68 to the light just N of Yellow Springs. Turned E on 343 and headed toward Clifton and Rt. 72.

Got to 72 and turned S, headed for Hillsboro. 72 does hook-up with 62 as it enters Hillsboro.

Here is where the ride starts: 73 S / E is a very nice and curvy trek headed toward Portsmouth on the river. The road is a mid-level technical run. As you get further S, especially down below Locust Grove, the road gets good a twisty, quite a few very wide sweepers. As the hills get more fequent, the blind twisties do become more prominent. The road is in excellent condition and very clean of runoff and debris. I got through Fri traffic in Port. and linked up with Rt. 52 on the river. Turning W and working along the river was surprisinly quiet from traffic. The road quality is not very good. Lots of road snakes, and center line seams from what looked like half lane work, shoulder inward. This W route takes you along the southern section of Shawnee State Park. The river is hard to see most of this run, way to much tree growth. There are a few open sections, but you have to look pretty quickly.

Cont. W through Buena Vista and Rome, heading toward Wrightsville , a big powerplant and Rt. 247.

This is a very fun road, lots of sweepers with quite a few near edge switchbacks. Hint on this road, follow the speed indicated, some of these are quite a few blind entrances and exits. I did hit this during evening, and the traffic was a liitl heavier then I like, but still a pretty good pace was had. This run will put rt. back into Hillsboro, at the same intersection you went through earlier in the day.

This is a pretty good days ride, from my garage door to gd was 265 miles.

Positives: Plenty of Gas stops easily available along the whole route. Most have snacks, drinks and restrooms. Plenty of food also, all the chains, some Mom and Pop and plenty of icecream shops. Roads are in excellent shape, except for 52, just take your time and be careful.

Negatives:

Big Trucks do make this run sometimes, and they do get in the way a few times. Be careful, there are not very many pass zones along this route, you will have to go against the double yellow sometimes.

Overview:

This is a very good days ride, State Parks all around, plenty of scenery, excellent views of the southern hilly terain covered in green. I would guess that a weekend run will have less traffic, especially trucks, but still not bad on a weekday.

I am thinking of offering this ride to the masses in the middle to late August. We will see how it goes. Here are a few pics, hope you enjoy.

Ride safe all.

Greg