duty to inform case dash cam video

crb

It seems to me that there are some really good cops, and some really bad cops. I've run into both types. The cop in the original video doesn't have the qualities needed to be a good cop. In spite of his big and bad attitude, he didn't deal with the situation logically at all, and put himself at risk. He might think that being in control means being the aggressor, but his confidence far outweighs his competence in this video. Cool heads always prevail.

wonder if this is the same canton cop who wrote over 1200 tickets last year? I have yet to come in contact with very many "good" cops. Everyone I have had contact with has been very rude and acted like I was a killer with a gun. BUT on the other hand the park ranger who pulled me over to politely ask me to slow down bit on my bike in the park was very easy to talk to about my chl. The city I live in seems to have at least one good cop in it also I was in a new truck with transfered plates and he pulled me over to see why they came back as car plates seemed to be ok with me having my ccw on me also.

Edited by speedytriple

speedytripple:

Sounds like the Ranger was on the ball. Professional, respectfull and paying attention to the little details. I'd like to work with more guys like him.

I fell into LEO work, I still see myself as a displaced GI. My worst fear is loosing my professionalism ansd "military bearing" on a traffic stop. Don't get me wrong. I speak fluant asshole, but a person has to take actions to bring that type of responce. I had an old SWAT guy tell me "be nice and polite untill it's time not to be". For as many cops there are out there who want to just act hard and intimidate people, there are just as many who have a sence of duty and profesionalism.

speedytripple:

Sounds like the Ranger was on the ball. Professional, respectfull and paying attention to the little details. I'd like to work with more guys like him.

I fell into LEO work, I still see myself as a displaced GI. My worst fear is loosing my professionalism ansd "military bearing" on a traffic stop. Don't get me wrong. I speak fluant asshole, but a person has to take actions to bring that type of responce. I had an old SWAT guy tell me "be nice and polite untill it's time not to be". For as many cops there are out there who want to just act hard and intimidate people, there are just as many who have a sence of duty and profesionalism.

I find it easier and more natural to treat other people like decent human beings. For every person's action, I respond with a reaction. Therefore, there are times where I absolutely need to be assertive and respond with audacity.

But I think there are many officers who lose sight of the big picture. Treating everybody like shit makes the line of work extremely difficult in the long run.

Edited by lammiepie615

I always found the police to be great "mirrors" of attitude. Be nice to them and you get treated nice. Act like a dick and you get treated like a dick.

Of course I have met one officer who was a dick right off the bat and he treated me so bad that when they cut me loose (without the speeding ticket that the officer was yelling at me demanding I admit to) his partner walked over to my car with me and apologized about him.

Edited by Scruit

I always found the police to be great "mirrors" of attitude. Be nice to them and you get treated nice. Act like a dick and you get treated like a dick.

In a perfect world. You probably just haven't been pulled over enough to get a good average:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1st video: we only have ourselves to blame for having people like that under our employ.

2nd video: while the guy should not have been approached for not breaking any laws, its good to know that there are LEO out there who know how to do their job correctly and professionally and i would rather have that than nothing at all. the dispatcher that took the calls about the guy should have informed those who called that he was well within his rights and to call if that situation changed.......but then, of course, people should take it upon themselves to understand the laws which govern them.

The Second Amendment, like other amendments, are subject to interpretation; some consider it be vague or ambiguous whereas others take it literally. Therein lies the problem as everyone has a different perspective on it.

all niceties assumed and all due respect, i couldnt disagree more with this statement. our Constitution is purposely written in plain english and is direct and to the point so that the 'common' man could read and comprehend it. if something is found to be confusing it doesnt take much effort to do some research about the men who wrote it and what their mindset was. 2nd amendment = the peoples right to have the means to protect themselves against a tyrannical govt can not be taken away from them by that govt. a free society must have the tools required to ensure that their liberty is protected (mentally and physically).

In a perfect world. You probably just haven't been pulled over enough to get a good average :)

I generally don't find myself coming into contact with the police very often. I average one contact a year and in 3/4 of those I was either the victim or a witness. I've had two speeding tickets and two warnings.

I generally don't find myself coming into contact with the police very often. I average one contact a year and in 3/4 of those I was either the victim or a witness. I've had two speeding tickets and two warnings.

In your lifetime ?? I had more run ins before I was even legal driving age:) (rode a moped at age 11)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I have already made my phone call. I hope all those that are really concerned did the same.

P.O.S. does not deserve to carry a weapon - ever - or to notify another human being that he was going to/or should have pulled his glock 40 and "put ten in him".

States at this time he is suspended WITH pay? WHY? Fired with criminal charges sounds like the better Idea!!!

Well I have already made my phone call. I hope all those that are really concerned did the same.

P.O.S. does not deserve to carry a weapon - ever - or to notify another human being that he was going to/or should have pulled his glock 40 and "put ten in him".

States at this time he is suspended WITH pay? WHY? Fired with criminal charges sounds like the better Idea!!!

Their contract probably requires an administrative suspension with pay and due process for misconduct allegations. Once the investigation is over I would expect criminal charges.

Bear in mind that if a contract calls for due process and that due process is denied then that's a violation of the contract and the termination can be reversed. By providing the officer the due process now it ensures that whatever decision they come to will have more legitimacy and be more likely to suirvive any legal challenge.

because this is only the SIXTEENTH complaint against him in the last 10 years. :rolleyes: there's that accountability i was talking about...

because this is only the SIXTEENTH complaint against him in the last 10 years. :rolleyes: there's that accountability i was talking about...

We need perspective. How many complaints is normal for an officer? How many complaints are unfounded retalliation for a legitimate arrest?

I was pulled over one time at 3am (I just got off of work) it was snowing bad you could not see the road...cop rode my ass for atleast 3 miles before lighting up when he walked up to the window he ask if I knew why he pulled me over and if there was anything I wanted to tell him..I said NO and NO(I waist carrying at the time)..at that time he said it was because I went left of center. I was like "WHAT!" There was no way to make out the center line on this snow covered road. I got out of the car to argue that point(he didn't like that)and he put his hand on his gun. At that point he ask me if I had any weapons on me, I said "no" his reply was "you should have told me that first thing". So I decided to argue about that as well telling him I only have to notify when carrying. At this time I think he's upset that he is getting proved wrong and tells me to get back into my car before he charges me with disorderly conduct, again im like" WHAT!!, where did that come from? Once im back in the car he ask for my DL, he looks at it for maybe 3 seconds gives it back and tells be to be safe and keep it between the lines and walks away.

He wasn't rude or anything but didn't seem to understand the way the laws are and wanted to make shit up, thinking I was a dumb pushover. Once he realized I wasn't, he was done with me

Sorry for spelling and grammar in this story..it was done on my phone

Edited by 2talltim

Notifying when NOT carrying seemed to be a big problem for some officers who weren't clear on the letter of the law. Having said that, arguing by the roadside rarely helps - tell him you will notify next time, then send a letter to his chief asking for the law to be explained to him again.

Arguing with a cop is never a good idea. Their mindset is to remain in control of the situation at all costs and they won't welcome having the law explained to them during a traffic stop.