800 from canton to fly, ohio....

MIKE53ALI

how is it? I'm an intermediate rider. and honestly not very familiar with the region. I'm coming from akron. I would take that all the way down maybe cross into kentucky or just head east then north. whats the best way back up?

As a self proclaimed intermediate rider 800 is a good choice, not technical, it doesn't have any bad blind rises or drop offs, there are no gotcha corners in either direction, it has the chance for speed in bigger sweepers and is in overall generally good shape. I would say a good choice for someone from the northern part of the state to use as a gage to decide if riding down south is worth it for them.

When you get to 7 turn right to 260 turn right to 78 turn right back to 800. If you like 260 or 78 it will be a good indicator for other roads to send you to or roads to avoid depending on your comfort level.

It's an ok road as long as your not looking for anything too twistie.

well.... thats kinda what I was looking for.... I'm looking for twisty.

I'm looking for something that I can take down pretty far.

well.... thats kinda what I was looking for.... I'm looking for twisty.

I'm looking for something that I can take down pretty far.

take the route Uncle Punk suggested. I've never done it but have been meaning to and hope to do it in the near future

edit: found my map

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=2619+Cleveland+Avenue+Southwest,+Canton,+OH+44707-3645+(Speedway)&daddr=ohio+800+and+ohio+route+7+to:OH-26+N%2FHilight+to:2619+Cleveland+Ave+SW,+Canton,+Ohio+44706&hl=en&sll=40.347293,-81.806899&sspn=2.859259,5.817261&geocode=FXMWbgIdxyom-yGA2Q_B9fI09SmLT-wSWNo2iDEGZibqVi05RA%3BFYW5WwIdvvEr-yl5GQjUQ-NJiDHiYEBqBkb_IA%3BFa4VXQIdLlgp-w%3BFb4VbgIdySkm-ymD_RwUWNo2iDGM59W-9Bn_XQ&mra=pd&dirflg=h&z=9

Edited by Bad324

As a self proclaimed intermediate rider 800 is a good choice, not technical, it doesn't have any bad blind rises or drop offs, there are no gotcha corners in either direction, it has the chance for speed in bigger sweepers and is in overall generally good shape. I would say a good choice for someone from the northern part of the state to use as a gage to decide if riding down south is worth it for them.

When you get to 7 turn right to 260 turn right to 78 turn right back to 800. If you like 260 or 78 it will be a good indicator for other roads to send you to or roads to avoid depending on your comfort level.

thats the review I was looking for. time to get some people to ride it with me.....

The first half of 800 will be quite boring. When traveling south after you pass Dover Dam keep your eye open for RT416 and take that, it will save you about 20 traffic lights going through downtown Dover & New Philly. 416 runs right back into 800 in downtown New Philly.

The next 10 or 12 miles will be a 4 lane divided highway till you get to Dennison. After Dennison the pavement will be nice but not to many good turns that I can think of.

Between Freeport and US RT22 the pavement is chip N seal so be careful through here. It's not a very long section though at around 4 miles or so.

From US22 to I70 there is good pavement with some fun turns. after you cross I70 it's a straight shot into Barnesville. From Barnesville to Woodsfield is probably my favorite section, lots of good turns and elevation changes.

I haven't been further South on 800 than RT26 this year but I hear they just finished repaving it, if so it should be fun the rest of the way to the river where you will be on the WV boarder not even close to KY.

Have fun!

Make sure you stop by Canton and I'll tag along. 800 gets better the further south you go and of course you have many options once you reach Woodsfield. Rt.26 is great but I do believe it's closed otherwise I'd hit that as well.

Make sure you stop by Canton and I'll tag along. 800 gets better the further south you go and of course you have many options once you reach Woodsfield. Rt.26 is great but I do believe it's closed otherwise I'd hit that as well.

when are you free ride? just tell me when and I'll make time. just not this weekend. maybe next?

I had somebody tell me that 800 was the best road in Ohio. I thought it was really a boring ride when I finally did get on it. There are better roads with better pavement. The good news is that many of them either intersect 800 or are really close to it. 78 is a good ride. If you're feeling comfortable on 78, take it all the way over to 555 and head south to 7. That one will give you a workout. Watch for gravel on 555. I was over there 2 days ago and there was quite a bit.

I had somebody tell me that 800 was the best road in Ohio. I thought it was really a boring ride when I finally did get on it. There are better roads with better pavement. The good news is that many of them either intersect 800 or are really close to it. 78 is a good ride. If you're feeling comfortable on 78, take it all the way over to 555 and head south to 7. That one will give you a workout. Watch for gravel on 555. I was over there 2 days ago and there was quite a bit.

noted. thanks!

Best road is a very subjective thing depending on so many factors that it shouldn't be a statement.

I personally like 260 right now with my old favorite being 255. New pavement on 260 and its length gives it the nod for me. If 255 was as long as 260 it wouldn’t be a contest but I kind of like the thrill 255 has with some of the blind rises and fall offs. I have been on 536 with people and I don't recall anyone liking it while I hear of others really liking it, I can take it or leave it. If others express an interest in riding it I try to put it in a route but no one has ever asked to do it again after being on it once.

800 is a great road for someone who doesn't want to scare themselves if they keep to sane speeds. It has different personalities depending on where you're at on it. If the OP can relate what section he likes it shouldn't be hard to point him to other roads with similar traits.

Best road is a very subjective thing depending on so many factors that it shouldn't be a statement.

I personally like 260 right now with my old favorite being 255. New pavement on 260 and its length gives it the nod for me. If 255 was as long as 260 it wouldn’t be a contest but I kind of like the thrill 255 has with some of the blind rises and fall offs. I have been on 536 with people and I don't recall anyone liking it while I hear of others really liking it, I can take it or leave it. If others express an interest in riding it I try to put it in a route but no one has ever asked to do it again after being on it once.

800 is a great road for someone who doesn't want to scare themselves if they keep to sane speeds. It has different personalities depending on where you're at on it. If the OP can relate what section he likes it shouldn't be hard to point him to other roads with similar traits.

I give you that's somewhat true about 800; it has a little taste of most stuff, but nothing really technical. The stretch right above route 70 is pretty good, actually; nice tight sweepers. There is nothing really challenging on that road taken at a sane pace. I've ridden it from Uhrichsville to 7.

I've yet to ride 255 or 260. I'll have to take a look at those. I'm in the NE part of the state, so it requires a little commitment of time to get down there and ride.

My favorite road to ride for a variety of personalities and easy access would be 9. It doesn't get really tight either, but there is enough twisting and good pavement that an 80-90mph pace is pretty fun.

The OP said he's an intermediate rider. I guess I don't know exactly what that means, as I would call myself an intermediate rider, and I have been at it for 15 years and haven't ever had a problem keeping up on the street (yet). To me, it sounds like he's looking for some good technical riding, and 800 really isn't that great for that.

Just one guy's opinion.

how is it? I'm an intermediate rider. and honestly not very familiar with the region. I'm coming from akron. I would take that all the way down maybe cross into kentucky or just head east then north. whats the best way back up?

I just noticed that you are in Akron. If you want to ride Saturday or Sunday, let me know. I'm not too far from there, and we could meet up somewhere along 76 and head south and east. My typical route is down around the Carrollton area, which is a good hour ride south. I like to hit part of 9, 164, 646.

haven't ever had a problem keeping up on the street (yet).

If the guys you are riding with are sticking to accepted group riding etiquette then you should be able to keep up with any group sport bike ride.

70MPH to 75MPH in the straights should allow everyone who falls back in the curves a chance to catch back up. For those not comfortable going faster than that then there is stopping at all turns to wait for the rest of the group to catch up. Fast guys and slower guys should all get to the end of a ride at the same time.

No reason to try keeping up if you can't though; waiting for rescue services to show up always takes longer than waiting for others at the next stop.

I just noticed that you are in Akron. If you want to ride Saturday or Sunday, let me know. I'm not too far from there, and we could meet up somewhere along 76 and head south and east. My typical route is down around the Carrollton area, which is a good hour ride south. I like to hit part of 9, 164, 646.

I've done 9 and 164. I've got family in youngstown so I know where you're coming from. we'll see whats up

at last its not just me and mike from akron to youngstown for every weekend ride, these days what ever trip we plan eventually ends up in lisbon STD :D

If the guys you are riding with are sticking to accepted group riding etiquette then you should be able to keep up with any group sport bike ride.

70MPH to 75MPH in the straights should allow everyone who falls back in the curves a chance to catch back up. For those not comfortable going faster than that then there is stopping at all turns to wait for the rest of the group to catch up. Fast guys and slower guys should all get to the end of a ride at the same time.

No reason to try keeping up if you can't though; waiting for rescue services to show up always takes longer than waiting for others at the next stop.

Yeah, generally they do, but typically I only ride with 1 or 2 other people at a time. I don't like big groups... creates too many problems.