Frustation with a young rider.

Pfloydgad

some people are just ignorant, and others don't care.

I also cringe when I see passengers without gear. What REALLY pisses me off is when the male rider has a helmet on, but his female passenger doesn't.

Chivalry may be mostly dead, but either give your passenger the helmet, or don't give them a ride - plain and simple.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well.......

I kinda knew I would get some intetresting responses when I posted this, and since my wife didn't want to hear my preaching anymore, I posted.

I am very impressed with the knowledge base coming accross with the responses. Now don't get me wrong,

I know we all have good common sense, it is just not spoken or written all that often. But it comes down to each person using that knowledge, and I for one am hoping that it will hit home sooner as opposed to later, that gearing up is just good old fashioned common sense. :cool:

Keep the info and knowledge coming, it might only help 1 or 2, but it is better then none at all.

ATGATT, and everyone please ride safe.

Greg

I like how he lef the blood on it to make it look *really* bad.

Here is my lesson about gear.

roadrash1.jpg

92 degrees out and knew I wasn't going to do any stupid riding, just a normal commute home from work. Gloves & jacket were in the saddlebags.

Hit the deer at somewhere between 60-65. Won't EVER happen again.

The "Dress for the crash" phrase is completely accurate.

Sorry you learned the hard way. But let it be said that gear won't always save you, it just gives you a fighting chance. As I mentioned before I even had gear, better than most peoples on road stuff.

xray2010.jpg

Unless something bad happens this will be in my leg for the rest of my life. But when I think what it could have been without gear........ I thank God for my good decisions.;)

Edited by buildit

I saw a guy on the interstate today with all the essentials in place......helmet on, gloves on, jacket on.......but, once he passed baracades between north and south bound is when I saw he had on shorts and sneakers.......WTF?? Why go to all the trouble to gear up from just the waist up? Nonsense to me.

People ask if it's hot underneath the riding gear.......I explain how I'd rather sweat than bleed. I typically don't preach about gear or no gear - I do what I want and let nature pick the rest of the riders on the road

I usually tell them some people aren't smart enough to learn from other peoples mistakes, I am. Or to wear or not wear gear is a personal choice and in my personal opinion, one of those choices is really fucking stupid.

album.php?albumid=1245&pictureid=13554

I've got a nice little album up.. Glorious day in march. :|

Red X.

Try this link instead http://www.ohioriders.net/album.php?albumid=1245

Backstory? What kind of gear were you wearing? Not judging, just trying to understand how the level of gear effects the level if injury. That's a pretty busted foot and arm. And more staples than anyone should ever get.

Edited by Scruit

I'm more of a gear nazi now that I don't street ride. It's easier to avoid being a hypocrite :D

i don't know what I was thinking when I was 22, but I rode with just a helmet for a while. I don't know if I just didn't know any better, or if crashing just never occurred to me.

But I was an idiot.

I did buy gloves and a jacket, but I never rode with proper boots or pants. I didn't ride in shorts, but it's not like the pants would have really protected me anyway...

I also rode home drunk at least twice that I can think of. Even smart people do dumb things.

now I feel weird riding w/o full leathers... I rode my bike in the paddock on Sunday w/ shorts on, and no helmet. It was surreal. I was idling in 1st gear, but still nervous about it.

As far as my gear, I was fully covered, but not in leathers. Skin was saved, all injuries were due to brute force! I had on a full face helmet, jacket (much like a carhartt), leather gloves, jeans, and alpinestar riding boots. The boots are most likely what left my foot still attached! After being t-boned by a truck and hit head on by some sort of BMW touring, I consider myself lucky to even be breathing.