salvage title bikes

Unk Greg

Must be a really tough summer so far...I keep finding folks with crashed bikes and salvage titles.....problee NOT a good prospect for flipping and retiring on the profit, but thinking if ya want to build one for yourself....could be cheap....ah, but that is the question....is it cheaper? Anybody have any experience on resurrecting the dead? State inspection? Or ya just build it and ride?

2008 honda ST1300, '98 VMax.....and a Blackbird...just this week I've found. Cosmetic by all appearances....meaning the expensive plastic.

Let the voting commence...yay or nay?

My Ducati is a rebuilt title. I bought the bike with a clear title, totaled it after a few years, bought the 'wreck' back from the insurance company for peanuts, paid < $2000 to rebuild it, had it inspected and retitled and have ridden it happily for the last 7 years. I actually made enough on the deal to fund 80% of a brand new 2003 CBR600RR to ride for the period the Ducati was being rebuilt.

I don't think they ever really work out if you count your time toward any value. Now as a retirement project you may come out ahead but it might not be worth the risk, unless it is something you intend to keep and enjoy for yourself.

If you have cash and come across the right person you can buy bikes at trade-in prices without any work and turn more profit. Dealers buy bikes all the time from people who need money and they don't give them trade in pricing either when they do this.

I can't imagine that bikes are the best investment when it comes to flipping them and turning a profit.

Many people shy away from bikes that have been layed down, Id guess salvage title bikes scare too many people

I'd buy a salvage title bike for the project, but onyl as a fun project / spare bike type thing. Not as a flip/investment or a daily rider that I would rely on.

Also, if you have a salvage title then don't expect non-salvage $$$ from the insurance company if it gets wrecked (again). Even if you fix it up to pre-accident condition then you still have a salvage title bike and they are simply worth much less than an original bike. They are only worth what someone will pay for it - and I won't pay top $$$ for a salvage title bike. Would you?

I can't imagine that bikes are the best investment when it comes to flipping them and turning a profit.

Many people shy away from bikes that have been layed down, Id guess salvage title bikes scare too many people

If it was economical to fix the bike up to pre-accident condition for less $$$ than the book value then the insurance company would have just fixed the bike rather than totalling it. If you want to flip a salvage bike then plan on sellign it for half of what it would fetch if original,and even then you will have to show it is properly fixed.

I agree that a Salvage/Rebuilt title compromises the resale value and therefore is not a good idea for making a profit. However, if you want to buy a bike to ride, and you know what to look for, it's a good option. As stated before, often much of an insurance estimate on a sportbike will go on cosmetic issues. e.g. My Ducati swingarm got scratched on the edge during my crash - more of a scuff really. That added over $2000 to the estimate.. Plastics... forget about it - very expensive to replace - often easy to repair.

Yeah on poor chance of flipping....my line of thinking was fixed upper to keep and ride. The ST has my eye...nice touring bike i'm thinking. Also thinking as mentioned above deal direct with insurance company. If the price asked by owner is cheap....what did the insurance company sell it back to him for.

Have since original post...talked with insurance guy in town....he said typically buy back is ten percent of retail established...whatever that means....but he says they have companies that they deal with to move them. Left a load of pics with lil' shop who can get me OEM plastic.....so gathering info on cost but then what goes with state and re-certify if that is a term to put back on road ( read that as hassle from and fees collected by )?

Thanks on confirming you can get a decent bike on rebound....now winter and keeping wife from seeing yet another bike, eh?

i bought my 02 954 in 05 salvaged for $3100... put $400 into it and rode it for a year and sold it for $4100.

and yes i did share all info to buyer before and after pics. all that had been fixed.

i did ride it before being inspected, guy gave me a bill of sale and that got my 30 day.

got it inspected and done.

I thought it was an easy process. OSP was great.

On of my bikes was a salvage I put back together. I agree with your thinking, you're not going to make money on it, much like cars,that salvage-rebuilt title is a stigma not many people want. But if you want to turn some wrenches and end up with a decent bike you can ride, you may save some money. Or at least break even and end up with exactly what you want. I ended up using a lot of carbon fiber and custom paint but only spent about what I would have just buying one off the street.

Its not great but its really not too bad. By flipping my last 2 bikes I actually covered my initial investment in my first bike so technically now I'm playing with house money.

OP - If I was more knowledgeable and had more time, I'd have no issue buying a salvage bike that I could thoroughly look over and know by an initial look if it was worth it. My problem is I'm just not that good to just be able to look at something and think well if part x is broken, then part y and z are probably damaged as well, that type of stuff.

Edited by Bad324

my bike was rebuilt title and rode like a dream...not a single thing wrong with it

my dad bought it brand new, and when he got t-boned he ended up fixing it himself so i know he did it all right..... got wrecked brand new, he paid 12k for it and made one payment on it, then it got wrecked, then he bought it back and fixed it up and had 2500 in it total all said and done, with a nice custom paint job....he was happy lol

Definitely need to know bikes inside and out to be sure you won't get something you can't fix. Would hate to pick up a bike with only wrecked plastics and then find out you have a bad engine, edu or ecu harness etc. Those things aren't cheap.

Speaking of frames - check the neck to make sure there are no cracks, and check where things are bolted on. Mine hada bolt pulled through where the subframe met the main hoop and I had to have a new tab welded on and tapped. I agree, if the frame is bad, walk away.

How could you even test that? You could measure form point-to-point on each side and compare, but is that really a valid test?

You have to have a special jig and measuring equipment to tell if it's still square. Some shops have them, as well as a way to correct the frame if it's bent. My theory on that is that it will never be the same. You tell me what happens when you bend a piece of metal, and then bend it back!

Update: Blackbird pics seen......uh, cosmetic damage? Easily fixed....the front forks are pushed into the frame....not what I would describe as cosmetic. Yikes.

Looking around and seeing ST up and running that aren't too much more than guestimates I am thinking. So prolee not going for it. I will hover around insurance guy to see about picking something directly from them....rather than an owner who is now a middleman.

Still to arrive prices on body panels.....friday.

Thanks all for input.