Shotguns!!! any who knows anything in here..

shadyone

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you do happen to be interested in a cheaper reliable O/U for clays, check out the mossberg silver or onyx reserve series. I bought a silver reserve 12 gauge O/U a couple years ago and have put a few thousand rounds through it with no problems at all.

http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/New/75418.jpg

That being said, growing up I used my dad's 870 with the swappable barrels for years with no problems, and you can have both a long barrel for clays and a short one for home. Tried buying myself a newer 870 home defense and had nothing but trouble from it, ended up getting a full refund after 2 trips back to remington. If you want an 870, buy an older used one.

I never even considered just an over under or side by side. that puts a whole new segment out there. I guess I always assumed that a pump was standard shotgun good for about anything not the best for anything either. Although I would hardley say that a weekday old man league is seriously competitive. I just wanna shoot really.

Although I would hardley say that a weekday old man league is seriously competitive.

You'll be surprised. Its the weekday, retired old guys that have nothing better to do than spend lots of $$ on a shotgun and shoot all day long. Same thing for many of the other shooting disciplines.

I never even considered just an over under or side by side. that puts a whole new segment out there. I guess I always assumed that a pump was standard shotgun good for about anything not the best for anything either. Although I would hardley say that a weekday old man league is seriously competitive. I just wanna shoot really.
You'll be surprised. Its the weekday, retired old guys that have nothing better to do than spend lots of $$ on a shotgun and shoot all day long. Same thing for many of the other shooting disciplines.

We're not competitive at all when we shoot, are we Flounder? :lol:

Im not saying that its not competitive in the sense that they suck. Im saying I wouldn't be competitive just out to have fun unless all of the sudden I become a phenom but that doesn't really happen.. hahaha

Home defense. There are special models for that... marine grades, mossberg has a home protection pistol gripped gun. A simple 870 is my vote. Can snag a home defense or personal protection stock from a number of place, and still have the capabilities of a folding stock. You can even go with dual pistol grips.

My recomendation would be a 870 express with a 28" rem choke barrel...

Any gun can be used for clay. depending on what clay you want to shoot can make the difference. If you want a gun on some 5 stand clays, you need a 30" or longer barrel (not the ideal home defense barrel).

some 5 stand, wilderness clays not so much (because most of your shots are long shots), trap definatley. skeet would be OK even.

for people talking about a field barrel being too long for HD - i have to disagree....while it is definitely not "ideal" there is nothing wrong with it

i had a situation the other day where i thought there would actually be a need for my shotgun - i was out of bed and made it all the way to my garage with my shotgun in hand and never once cared or noticed about the barrel length...it didnt even cross my mind, between being half asleep still and the adrenaline of thinking something was happening, the thought of barrel length never occured to me, and i didnt bang my gun into anything either....luckily it was a false-alarm

that said - i still would like to pick up a short barrel for my nova or an HD model nova....but for the time being im ok with having it how it is

if he wants to shoot clays - then get the long barrel first because it can double for HD duty better than an HD model can double for clays

really though, even though my nova was sitting there...i think if my handgun would have been on the nightstand i would go for it first for maneuverability ....not the better choice, but it is what it is lol

I paid $85 for my Mossy 500 AB back in the 70's. Came with a slugster 24" slug barrel. Has never failed....has been dropped in duck ponds, ground into the rock beds of a rr track, abused and misused, but it still keeps firing. The stock and barrel were so screwed up, I re finished the stock and had the barrel re blued. The receiver was just a bit worn so I left it be. Easy to disassemble/reassemble and will load up 5 3" mag slugs or shotshells which is good enough for me. If I get into a firefight it'll have to be that along with my G23.

I'd say a Mossburg should be the choice of a hd gun due to its price, availability, reliability and flexibility. Although that russian shotgun looks intriguing.....

• 2 months later...

Well I went ahead and "pulled the trigger" on the Remington 887. I wanted the Benelli Supernova but it wasn't $200 nicer than the 887. Wanted the Realtree camo but I'm not a hunter, so i went with the regular black. got the 26" Barrel. $340 at Dick's Sporting goods right now, after the $30 instant rebate. cycled about 40 shells through it. seems smooth. It shoulders really nice. also came with a fiber optic front site. one green and one red that are interchangeable. and a red mid bead. I won't be able to shoot it till this weekend or maybe next.

Congrats on your 887.

I looked at the 887 & 870, I have several hunting 870s at home, but wanted something really durable that I didn't have to worry about the finish with. The 887 looks perfect, like some sort of weapon from the future. I played around with a few 887s and really liked how they felt.....but I kept banging into my hand when chambering a round. The realease is way, way, WAY in the wrong spot. (at least for me) This is a huge problem with the 887...........for me & apparently bunch of other people.

I could probably live with it for a skeet/trap gun, but the 870 won out for home defense, just because I am so familiar with it.

870R.jpg

Not that I'm a super cheapy, but for something just to bang around the farm I think this is pretty hard to beat.

7 round capacity, 18.5 inch barrel.

Vance's had it for $300 + a $30 rebate......$270? Thanks, I'll take it.

The bad part is I really liked a Sig Sauer M400 5.56, so I have a feeling the next time I go there I will not get out as cheaply as I did this time.

Well this is what I shot with last night....

:D I'm sold! :nono: Fiance is going to be pissed! MSRP is 4,055.00 and if you asked me last night it is worth every freakin penny! I told myself I was only shooting my two rounds and I was leaving. Yeah 8 rounds of clays later. Whoa this thing is awesome.

Only difference in the gun in the picture and the one I shot, the one I shot had the kick-off custom butt-pad on it. I'm in love.

I've also decided that my HD gun will be a 870 with the AR style extendable stock. : )

Thank SCQTT. and greenbeenstrings. Your crazy spending that much on a gun. That's a track bike fully loaded. !!! Need a pool boy?!

^ so you getting rid of a less expensive 12 gauge?

Who me? No. I have the Extrema and Urika... Was looking at the 682 Gold E combo and am going to have to go with the Ceasar instead.... Like the Beretta's. But damn.... Hand made in the USA :D and shoots oh so sweet (I was told I was gripping the gun to tight... Hell I didn't want to drop it, and the fact the woman has not been home in a while :D )

I rarely part with one of my clay/trap guns. I have been known to move a handgun/rifle/hunting gun from time to time...