What's a good dirtbike to convert to sm?

OhioBob

Would like some feedback from others who have already went down this road. What dirtbike(s) is good to convert to sm? Your experience is most valued.

Or what enduro would make a good/great sm?

Thanks in advance.

OhioBob

Cheapest - KLR650

Most Powerfull- KTM 990SE but KTM already has the 990SM

Most converted - DR650

Coolest (IMHO) - YZ426 or 450 , Though I have seen some awsome jobs on pre07 KLR's using DRZ front forks. I have two friends who can have the triple rebored for the bigger forks for you on the klr.

It's funny people's perceptions of what a Sumo is... The reality is where you intend to use it. People saying XRs and KLRs are people that are not using them as Supermotos the way they were intended. Street use is fine and you'll want a larger cockpit and heavier bike with a bigger motor.

If you want a legit Supermoto, there are no XRs and KLRs or DRZs in or around any supermoto track that are succeeding at running laps well.

You need a proper SM for that or convert a 450 or larger 4 stroke bike to a Sumo machine.

Again, depends on what you want to do with it. A 450 or similar is gonna be a bear on the street. Super fun for in town and urban assualts, but will get old the first road trip you run...

I was thinking of making a supermoto for the street, but sometimes I would take it to the track. I am not looking at using it for road trips, but just to tear up the town and urban assault kind of fun. So, small gas tank would be fine to me. I am really wanting to keep it light, 250lbs or so ready to ride.

I have my VTX for road trips and working on getting a CBR954RR for some fun a little further outside of town and track days.

You know, each style has a purpose and best use.

Just want to make sure I get a good base to start with for my sm.

Thanks.