Someone offered to swap me bikes... Should I do it?

Josh1234

As some/most of you know, I've been looking to sell or trade my 2005 Buell Blast for a bigger bike. Preferrably a sportbike.

I listed the asking price on Craigslist as 2500, even though I feel that's too high.

I've been offered, in trade, a '96 Vulcan 1500.

Here's the e-mail chain... I'd love opinions from people on what they think I should do.... Keep in mind that I'd sell the Vulcan and use the money to get a bike I like, and also keep in mind that yellow is the last color I'd pick :(

Begin e-mail thread:

------------------------------

What's the lowest you would go on the bike? Also willing to trade for a 1500 Vulcan?

---

Year? Color? Condition? Miles? Pictures?

I need a little more information :) Any mechanical problems? How

long have you had it? Are you looking for a smaller bike, or one for

a beginner?

---

It's a 96, no problems. I took it to Boston 3 years ago, and Tennessee to concur the tail of the dragon last year. Bike has 8500 miles. New tires before the dragon trip. Reason I would like to trade is because I own a Harley softail, Harley sportster that's my ratrod and the Vulcan. I want something that can keep up with my buddies when we go back to the dragon this September. My bike did keep up around the turns but I felt like I didnt fit in with them since they have crotchs and BMW like bikes. I have owned it for about 4 riding seasons.

---

My bike is only 500cc... I don't think it would keep up if your 1500cc

bike couldn't....

---

No no. It would keep up with my friends 650. I need something that can handle the tail of the dragon. 321 turns in 11 miles. Cruisers don't turn like yours

--

Pictures? How far from Lyndhurst do you live? You really have 3 bikes?

---

I thought I sent them. Let me resend them. I grew up in lyndhurst. Now live in aurora. Yes I do have three bikes

--

Shoot me your phone number and I will text them if you dont get the pics. I sent them twice

--

Whoops, they came through now... I was refreshing this thread, and

they're in the inbox. Let me go take a look :)

--

The Blue one is much prettier... Argh, why's it have to be yellow? :)

Are you interested in an outright purchase? Your bike is probably

worth more than 2500, the asking price for my Blast... meaning it'd be

to your advantage to buy mine and then sell yours for 3K or something.

---

The blue one is much more rare and expensive. I dunno I kinda like yellow. I have a mustang convertible that's yellow. I would trade for even swap if your interested. I didn't renew the plates last week when i had to Was just planning on selling it in the spring.

Edited by Josh1234

No because he concurs with the tail of the dragon.

Go look at it and see if it is worth the trade. Look the bike over thoroughly though and make sure its the route you want to go. Id personally try to wait it out and sell your bike so you have the cash to shop around for what you like.

:dunno:

If you're willing to take up your time to try to sell ANOTHER different bike for cash, then that's on you, especially if you're stuck "holding the bag" on a bike that you don't know the history of and have no experience riding. But, one man's trash...

You said yourself you're looking for outright cash, so... I'd stick to that. Cash is king. If the guy can afford 3 bikes, he can afford to put another small one in the stable if he really HAS to have yours NOW for what you're asking until HE sells his bike. You're doing his dirty work for him, for free (or at your expense if you consider the time value of money), like a little bitch.

No because he concurs with the tail of the dragon.

Go look at it and see if it is worth the trade. Look the bike over thoroughly though and make sure its the route you want to go. Id personally try to wait it out and sell your bike so you have the cash to shop around for what you like.

I could sell his bike for MORE, though, I think. Blasts don't fetch much money :( Then again, it is more time/trouble to sell a bike I don't really want.

I could sell his bike for MORE, though, I think. Blasts don't fetch much money :( Then again, it is more time/trouble to sell a bike I don't really want.

Agreed not a large market for Blasts but it will sell eventually. But youd be trading for a bike you dont want. You will have to pay tax, title and tags which minimizes your "profit" from selling. Its not worth it IMO.

My bike did keep up around the turns but I felt like I didnt fit in with them since they have crotchs and BMW like bikes. I have owned it for about 4 riding seasons.

But his buddies have crotchs and he doesnt!! Surely you can see his dilemma. :nono:

Yeah I dunno how a Blast is gonna help him keep up with a crotch, much less an actual Crotch Rocket :)

He said he's winning a bid for one on eBay and just didn't want 4 bikes. I hope he wins, since the more I think about this the less I want it... it's just OLD :p If I'm gonna trade my bike, I'll do it for a Ninja 250... that way I can ride it a while (Shrug, I've always wanted to try one) and then sell it in the spring much easier than a Blast would sell, and for just as much money. Would love to trade it for a Ninja 500 or older 600 though, actually :)

Obviously I can't vouch for the mechanical condition of his bike..but just because its a 15 yr old bike dosnt mean much....my wifes shadow os a 93 with 22k miles and my TL is a 97 with 35k miles and I trust them both to run to the moon and back if it were possible..all depends on how they r maintained

I checked Blue Book and it lists for $2200 in top condition. -- Pass youll lose money.

Thanks for looking that up for me... I don't know what my bike goes for, but it's probably a little lower... but people always point at blue book when they buy, so I don't want to list an old chopper for 3K and try and sell it when the blue book lists it for 2200. Or by spring, 2100 or 2K. At least my bike, even if it's worth less in KBB value, has a defined niche for which it's perfect (learners) and also has things going for it that some/most other bikes don't - Automatic choke, hydraulically adjusted valves, and belt-drive. It's an EASIER sale if you take those into account.

Nope. I conquer with the rest of these hacks. If you don't want the bike, you have to sell someone else's problems.

I see what you did there! LOL, rep added for the wordplay, and props for the A.D. quote, too.

So why doesnt HE sell it?

Not worth the hassle. Walk away. Unless you want to keep the Vulcan.

NoNo, I was listing the things that'd make MY bike an easier sell.

I E-mailed him and said I didn't think swapping him bikes would help me reach my goal. I said good luck on his eBay auction and if that didn't work out and he wanted to purchase mine, maybe we could work something out....

Didn't burn any bridges ;)

LOL he offers me a swap + a grand, or something, and then he might have a deal :)

NoNo, I was listing the things that'd make MY bike an easier sell.

I E-mailed him and said I didn't think swapping him bikes would help me reach my goal. I said good luck on his eBay auction and if that didn't work out and he wanted to purchase mine, maybe we could work something out....

Didn't burn any bridges ;)

LOL he offers me a swap + a grand, or something, and then he might have a deal :)

Ah, my bad. Read it too quickly. :o

Nope. I conquer with the rest of these hacks. If you don't want the bike, you have to sell someone else's problems.
Damn phone edit.....

And here I thought you were being clever. The Vulcan owner wanted to "concur" the Dragon and you "conquer" with us hacks. Now I find out it's the telephone doing the talking...

Can't you print up a one-page sheet with a photo of your Blast and the title "Perfect Beginner Bike!" in big letters and hand them out to everyone leaving the local MSF course? The Blast is one of those bikes that may require some creative marketing. Experienced riders have no need or desire for one, and most beginners, who really need something like that, don't know it exists.

And here I thought you were being clever. The Vulcan owner wanted to "concur" the Dragon and you "conquer" with us hacks. Now I find out it's the telephone doing the talking...

Actually, that was purposeful. My phone double-posted. So I meant "damn-phone edit".

Can't you print up a one-page sheet with a photo of your Blast and the title "Perfect Beginner Bike!" in big letters and hand them out to everyone leaving the local MSF course? The Blast is one of those bikes that may require some creative marketing. Experienced riders have no need or desire for one, and most beginners, who really need something like that, don't know it exists.

I thought of that, but I'll save it for next Spring as a last resort. I might be able to sell it before then, or trade it for something I'll like more (Or trade it for something I can sell for more).

Besides, watching all the bikes for sale section every day is fun :D Then again, RIDING would probably be MORE fun.... ;)