Ashtabula Covered Bridge Ride 2011?

armith

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes.. there's lots of stops.. we have done 10-13 bridges.. 4 or 5 of them are all with in a couple miles of each other. Plus the food stop. As a matter of fact those hardcore and marathon rider types would eat their young rather than ride this ride..:D

Way to join in the group.

opinions are like assholes, right, everyone's got one.

Um ok thanks..."Wine and riding don't mix" is more of a statement, unsolicited.

Example: one could gather from Connee Rot's statements that he is a fair weather rider that could not make it from the bottom of Pikes Peak to the top...My opinion was not warrented or needed, no basis in fact, just an opinion.

I've been here a while just tend to keep my opinions to myself reference the police, riding styles, and general issues regarding what you should do...

Back to the topic, found the map routes are 69 and 66 miles. Once you get on the routes there are good signs marking them. The second full weekend in October is the Bridge festival. Each stop will have food and drinks, antique cars, etc. I have a spare route map if someone needs a copy.

Ya'all ride safe. Whether you eat, have a glass of wine (relax for an hour after), ride your sport bike with your helmet strapped to the seat, wave, don't wave, or what ever you like to do along the ride.:p Enjoy.

Um ok thanks..."Wine and riding don't mix" is more of a statement, unsolicited.

Example: one could gather from Connee Rot's statements that he is a fair weather rider that could not make it from the bottom of Pikes Peak to the top...My opinion was not warrented or needed, no basis in fact, just an opinion.

I've been here a while just tend to keep my opinions to myself reference the police, riding styles, and general issues regarding what you should do...

Back to the topic, found the map routes are 69 and 66 miles. Once you get on the routes there are good signs marking them. The second full weekend in October is the Bridge festival. Each stop will have food and drinks, antique cars, etc. I have a spare route map if someone needs a copy.

Ya'all ride safe. Whether you eat, have a glass of wine (relax for an hour after), ride your sport bike with your helmet strapped to the seat, wave, don't wave, or what ever you like to do along the ride.:p Enjoy.

Wow it was just a comment nothing more nothing less..... if you can't handle other peoples remarks you are in the wrong place.

Well allwhitey then. You too.

The Festival is very cool but absolutely insane to attempt a group ride.. The roads are narrow to begin with but to have to navigate a group when cars and bikes pretty much park wherever.. I won't do it. I have always tried to go the week before the festival as thats when the bridges often are at their best. The first year we found DeBonne Winery hosting a Bicycle Covered Bridge tour. No issues just that they had one of the bridges blocked off as that was their lunch stop or something.. Last year the weather and schedules of others didn't permit it.. going the week after worked out nice because the leaves were pretty much in full color and we didn't really have ANY traffic to contend with. Just one small detour for bridge construction.

We're all good.

I wouldn't do the festival weekend either, just pointing it out for scheduling.

If you end up towards the PA side the ride back west along the Lake is nice to -the detour in Ashtabula. Chops Grill house has excellent food and would be a great link up place state route 534 and interstate 90. If i didn't think I'd slow you guys down I'd go. Enjoy.

One last note watch for farm equipment and lots of deer.

I'm certainly not worried about slow... last year we had to contend with a little mud and shit on the roads.. one of the farmers came out of the field with his patty wagon.. made for a nice head shaker but no real drama.

!Edit! Forget the map. It's no good. I'll have to make one from my PC and maybe it will work. I don't have this whole laptop thing down all that well.

Just a idea..

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&doflg=ptm&ie=UTF8&ll=41.5497,-81.180725&spn=1.013337,2.705383&t=h&z=9&vpsrc=0&msid=207835182952851637744.0004ac608e63c3a5781f7

I don't know where all the covered bridges are but here is an idea. Only about 100 miles (basically a warm up). Tons of stuff could be added like Squires Castle, other bridges (Windsor for sure, then it would make the most sense to skip Paine Falls and maybe add Nelson Ledges instead.) and Maybe run into Middletucky and stop by Shade Tree, Just for Fun or eat at Mary Yoders.

Either way this basic route is something I do regularly, except the Bula part. The roads are as good as it gets for the area. Especially going across the whole region, for the most part.

Or not.

• 2 weeks later...

still a maybe...

since I learned how to ride without dropping my bike (without getting hit by a fucking harley mind you) these kinda rides make me zone out and do stupid shit. Nonetheless, I'll certainly keep it in mind to make cuz it was fun the first time

i would like to do this ride. especially since ive never been out that way. But unless i missed something...which weekend is it? i would be a bit worried about gas capacity tho...my new bike guzzles it...

but mid oct would be cool because the leaves will hopefully be changed by then...

i'm going for Sat, Oct 15th.. The 1st is quickly approaching I've got obligations and weather outlook is already questionable.

Plus I haven't had time to finalize the route.. As for gas.. An ambitious route would be a little over a 100 mile day.. And we will be within civilization for a gas stop about 35-40 miles in.. Depending how your come into Bula (interstate) there should be ample gas stops.. So unless your only getting school bus fuel economy or the gas tank is smaller than your bladder, I don't see there being a problem. This is all scenic low speed stuff.

that sounds good! mid month definately works better for me too! we gotta start praying to the rain gods to cut this crap out tho! ha!

i should be good then on gas...i think i would start to worry if there werent anyplace to stop...the blown out harly just doesnt get quite the mileage of my old GSXR....

But if we goet some good weather for the 15th or 16th im in!!

Just a suggestion.

Do like half bridges and half parks? Maybe start in the Bula and end in CVNP.

imo it would make a little better of a ride and might entice some other folks to come out if there was a broader area to meet up and see.

and no don't ask. :nono:

I'm might do this. I def vouch for ending in the CVNP.

I'm might do this. I def vouch for ending in the CVNP.

I'll have to make a separate ride for the waterfall stuff. This covered bridge ride is understandably only a covered bridge ride. Especially since there are so many of them.