Ashtabula Covered Bridge Ride 2011?

armith

I'm open to suggestions but I'd like to keep the general format of the ride the same as last year.. it went way more smoothly than I had ever imagined.

So here is the start.. I will update details over the next few weeks.. comments/suggestions welcome.. PM me your availability.

DETAILS:

Who: Anyone.. all types of bikes (very 2up friendly!!!)

What: Tour of Ashtabula County Covered Bridges

Where: Astabula County

When: Saturday, Oct. 15th

Why: See historical landmarks and a little autumn color

Time: Kickstands up at 10:30am end maybe ~ 5pm

What this is: relaxed pace, meet and greet with plenty of stops for pictures and such.

What this isn't: a Race or good area for killing chicken strips. These just aren't those kind of roads. Rural, scenic, straight.

Meeting spot: Sheetz @ 10:00am. 2411 North Ridge Road East Ashtabula OH 44004

Coming from I-90 take the Ashtabula Rt 11 exit (exit 228) North.

Proceed up Rt 11 for about 3.5 miles to the Ashtabula US20 exit.. Turn left onto US20 Sheets will be on your right

Route:

TBD

figure the tour route to be around 100 or so miles..

Also taking suggestions to open it up to other sites of interest instead of just being a bridge to bridge tour. Oct 1st is the week before the festival, there is no way in hell i'd do it during the festival.. Mid october is about as late as you can do it.. Leaves are in full color by then, beyond that the weather tends to be too harsh for a comfortable ride for most. Let me know what you think.

Always thought this would make a cool charity event type of ride. (dice run, poker run, etc.)

Edited by armith

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife and I just did this ride in August, great time and great pictures. A word of advice: they have free maps that list two different routes. I would suggest reviewing them as some of the roads are dirt/gravel. No fun when wet and two up, coupled with possible wet leaves.

Enjoy, hit a a couple of the wineries Ferrante is a good one the food is excellent.

Wine and bikes don't mix

Thanks for the moral input, care to lecture on riding attire too? Read the entire sentence, do food and riding mix?:cry:

Don't like it, don't do it, or consort with those that do. Like riding in the rain, cold, clouds, don't stop at a bar they'll force you to drink a beer.:rolleyes:

Just a suggestion.

Do like half bridges and half parks? Maybe start in the Bula and end in CVNP.

imo it would make a little better of a ride and might entice some other folks to come out if there was a broader area to meet up and see.

and no don't ask. :nono:

Thanks for the moral input, care to lecture on riding attire too? Read the entire sentence, do food and riding mix?:cry:

Don't like it, don't do it, or consort with those that do. Like riding in the rain, cold, clouds, don't stop at a bar they'll force you to drink a beer.:rolleyes:

Way to join in the group.

opinions are like assholes, right, everyone's got one.

!Edit! Forget the map. It's no good. I'll have to make one from my PC and maybe it will work. I don't have this whole laptop thing down all that well.

Just a idea..

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&doflg=ptm&ie=UTF8&ll=41.5497,-81.180725&spn=1.013337,2.705383&t=h&z=9&vpsrc=0&msid=207835182952851637744.0004ac608e63c3a5781f7

I don't know where all the covered bridges are but here is an idea. Only about 100 miles (basically a warm up). Tons of stuff could be added like Squires Castle, other bridges (Windsor for sure, then it would make the most sense to skip Paine Falls and maybe add Nelson Ledges instead.) and Maybe run into Middletucky and stop by Shade Tree, Just for Fun or eat at Mary Yoders.

Either way this basic route is something I do regularly, except the Bula part. The roads are as good as it gets for the area. Especially going across the whole region, for the most part.

Or not.

Edited by Lost1888
Stupid Map

A word of advice: they have free maps that list two different routes. I would suggest reviewing them as some of the roads are dirt/gravel. No fun when wet and two up, coupled with possible wet leaves.

No worries.. I plot the route and we skip the dirt roads or best weather scenario minimize the dirt and gravel..

you can get to all but maybe 2 or 3 bridges without leaving pavement.

The original rides were limited to ashtabula county bridges as they have the most bridges of any county.. The longest spanning and 4th longest spanning, and now also the shortest spanning bridges in the country. Was just a way to get Ashtabula County some notice.. Was something different as no one seems to ride the true NE tip of ohio.

If there is interest I'm not opposed to changing things up some. Finding other attractions, wineries, etc.

If we want to change it up to a Fall Foliage tour thru CVNP could be cool, could even be a whole different ride.