New planet that could support life found

Casper

Sweet. If we hop on board the fastest space vessel ever built (Apollo 10, ~25k mph) we shoudl get there in about... 27,000 years.

Better take a good book. :D

I'm willing to bet within our lifetimes we'll see faster than lightspeed travel.

A super Earth of 3.6 more mass would make people a lot heavier. I'm guessing I'd weigh about 575 pounds. No thanks. I'm still waiting for something with not frozen/boiling water to be found in the .5 to 1.25 mass range. That would be extremely interesting. And indeed, that is what they are looking for. Our next home.

^ This. Not mentioned in this article, but mentioned in others, is the fact that the gravitational field is twice that of earth. So it may be fine for smaller creatures like microscopic organisms, and maybe smaller insects, human life has no shot. If you weigh 200 pounds, try loading up a bar with 200 pounds and walk around with it on your shoulders all day. Babies would be four years old and look like Arnold before they could stand.

^ This. Not mentioned in this article, but mentioned in others, is the fact that the gravitational field is twice that of earth. So it may be fine for smaller creatures like microscopic organisms, and maybe smaller insects, human life has no shot. If you weigh 200 pounds, try loading up a bar with 200 pounds and walk around with it on your shoulders all day. Babies would be four years old and look like Arnold before they could stand.

Yeah, I was a little too high on the weight. I just gave myself a refresher course on mass vs weight. The felt weight of a person's mass will vary both with the mass of the planet and the distance from the center of the planet's mass. So a large diameter planet of high mass would have a lower felt weight of the person, compared to a high density and mass of small diameter. Which would feel very heavy.

Of course, a large diameter planet of one Earth mass would just be a big puff ball of worthless properties. Lots of variables, it's a difficult search for the perfect planet.

maybe their gravity doesn't care what newton says