Passing a stopped school bus

Scruit

I can't believe I just read through 7 pages of post's on this :wtf:

I need to find something better to do with my time.

I'm only on page 2. :dunno:

If you are on a 4-lane highway there is no need to stop, at all, for oncoming buses. "Proceed after stopping" Where did that come from?

It is not up to the LEO to change the law by the side of the road.

I dispute the assertion that I should have stopped because kids are unpredictable. Sure kids are unpredictable but if a kid tries to cross a 4-lane highway then I'll have plenty of time to see him and stop. Maybe we should ban cars from driving past kids on a sidewalk, because kids are unpredictable.

:plus1:

Why are people still arguing this? I posted the EXACT text from the Ohio Digest of Motor Vehicle Laws. It says ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about divided highways anymore. It is strictly four lanes or more. It cannot be any more clear than that.

I don't care what your LEO friend says, it's written plain and simple. If they want to stop someone, fine, they're in the wrong, and they can have fun being laughed at by the judge.

Sheesh, people are freaking dense.

EDIT: I suppose saying it was unnecessary to clarify was wrong, in fact, I shall quote it so maybe people will actually read it this time.

^ rofl

Since what I would say has already been said, many times, I present the following for even further [unnecessary] clarification. This is direct from the Ohio BMV Digest of Motor Vehicle Laws:

"2. If the bus is stopped on a street or road which has fewer than four lanes, all traffic approaching the bus from either direction must stop at least 10 feet from the front or rear of the bus and remain stopped until the bus begins to move or the bus driver signals motorists to proceed.

3. If the bus is stopped on a street or road which has four or more lanes,

only traffic proceeding in the same direction as the bus must stop."

Edited by BonkerS
  • Upvote 1

Ok....

Just heard from my SIL, my riding buddy and my SIL's mom , who drives a school bus.

You "Do Not" have to stop if you are in the far rt. ln. of a 4 lane, you are required to slow to 20 or below for safety reasons.

Now heres the But: Each school distict and municipality has the right to adjust this, due to the road and situation of the drop off or pick-up. :wtf:

In other words, check with your locals about their interpitation of the law, and if your out and about, slow and for safety, just stop for the minute or so for safety's sake.

Hope this helps, some.

Ride safe all, and ATGATT please.

Greg

Now heres the But: Each school distict and municipality has the right to adjust this, due to the road and situation of the drop off or pick-up. :wtf:

this is incorrect. The Ohio Board of Education specifically does not allow a school district to have bus routes where a child has to cross more than 2 lanes

If you are on a 4-lane highway there is no need to stop, at all, for oncoming buses. "Proceed after stopping" Where did that come from?

It is not up to the LEO to change the law by the side of the road.

I dispute the assertion that I should have stopped because kids are unpredictable. Sure kids are unpredictable but if a kid tries to cross a 4-lane highway then I'll have plenty of time to see him and stop. Maybe we should ban cars from driving past kids on a sidewalk, because kids are unpredictable.

I completely agree with you. The whole point of not stopping oncoming traffic on a 4-lane is that the bus routes are arranged so that they always pick up on the same side as direction of travel so as not to cause a huge holdup on a main route in rush hour traffic. Stopping suddenly could actually put more kids at risk, if it were to cause an accident sending cars into the stopped bus.

Ok....

Just heard from my SIL, my riding buddy and my SIL's mom , who drives a school bus.

You "Do Not" have to stop if you are in the far rt. ln. of a 4 lane, you are required to slow to 20 or below for safety reasons.

In other words, check with your locals about their interpitation of the law, and if your out and about, slow and for safety, just stop for the minute or so for safety's sake.

Hope this helps, some.

Greg

Please quote the law that says left lane must slow to 20.

One more to add:

Three lane scenario. The school bus is on the side with a single lane' date=' and I'm driving in tr oncoming, two lane. Does this require a stop?

I don't care... Just bumping the insanity.[/quote']

I believe that one depends on the color of the school bus. ;)

What authority would the school district have to adjust traffic laws?

I'd go by what the ORC says.

Most school districts retain a paramilitary force to enforce the different districts' interpretation of the ORC. This elite squad can generally be identified by the orange bandolier and (when raining ) yellow slickers.

Now that we've all agreed to disagree on this topic, the whole "my friend is a cop" argument doesn't always hold water.

1) the law changes from time to time. I believe we proved that in this thread, where two different wordings of the same basic statute were posted. One said "divided highway," and one said "divided highway, or any road with four or more lanes." Trust me; cops aren't getting urgent emails notifying them of such changes. There are hundreds a year.

2) Police officers are human. they make mistakes. they forget things. etc.

3) Police officers generally know their shit, but it's impossible to have every minute detail of the ORC memorized; especially for scenarios that are relatively infrequent, and not life-threatening.

I spent 1 day with my buddy Scott in the Elyria prosecutor's office, and no less than 3 times, police officers came in with questions for him about various laws. The officers asked because they didn't know. Scott knew 1/3 times, and had to look up the other 2. Even then, LAWS ARE SUBJECT TO INTERPRETATION, which is why we have courts.

As noted earlier, if the law was worded "divided highway" in the past, I believe there was some serious ambiguity as to whether or not that "divide" has to be a physical barrier, or simply a painted line.

And so on...

Police officers are probably right 85% of the time, but not always.

• Upvote 1

Ok....

Hope this helps, some.

Greg

Holy crap, you just posted more misinformation in this one post than what is in this entire thread combined. Your contacts are horribly, horribly wrong.

a) On a four-lane highway, the traffic traveling in the opposite direction does not have to stop PERIOD. It does not matter if you're in the far right lane or not.

b) You are NOT required to slow down for the school bus. You either have to stop, or you don't.

c) There is nothing for the school districts and municipalities to adjust, let alone if they could/did, it would only cause more confusion (as there is obviously enough already). State law mandates that school buses must drop kids off on the same side as their residence if the road has four lanes or more. So once again, if it's not at least four lanes, where a kid might have to cross the road, ALL TRAFFIC has to stop anyway.

Please people, for the love of God, go read the Ohio Revised Code and Digest of Motor Vehicle Laws VERY SLOWLY, AND CAREFULLY instead of going to people that obviously have no effing clue about what they are talking about. :mad:

My wife's friend's uncle Ernie said that there is actually an interpretation of this code requiring all boys between 10 an 14 to exit the bus, sit on his lap, and fish coins out of his pockets. Searching Lexisnexis now.

K, I talked to my brother's friend's golf buddy's cousin's neighbor who says on a 4-lane road you have to get out of the car and limbo-dance the whole length of the bus before you can proceed. ORC must be wrong.

Hah Scruit.

Thank you for a quick chuckle. :)