bike to bike communication

crb

Wife and I ride together on separate bikes, and I have been thinking it might be helpful to be able to communicate. I really don't want to spend $300 per bike for a comm setup. I see midland offers a Mic and headphones setup for their two way radios. We are never that far from each other less than a mile for sure usually way less. Does anybody have experience with the headset? We both wear modular helmets and already have the two way radios for on the four wheelers. I actually have a throat Mic setup for mine although I haven't used it. That would work on the bike I would think too.

Any other suggestions?

http://www.midlandradio.com/Two-Way-Radio-Accessories.NX9/AVP-H2

Wife and I ride together on separate bikes, and I have been thinking it might be helpful to be able to communicate. I really don't want to spend $300 per bike for a comm setup. I see midland offers a Mic and headphones setup for their two way radios. We are never that far from each other less than a mile for sure usually way less. Does anybody have experience with the headset? We both wear modular helmets and already have the two way radios for on the four wheelers. I actually have a throat Mic setup for mine although I haven't used it. That would work on the bike I would think too.

Any other suggestions?

http://www.midlandradio.com/Two-Way-Radio-Accessories.NX9/AVP-H2

I have never used that one. I have the G4 Scala Rider (which I only use for phone calls and music) and it is awesome. I picked it up as a single unit for $175 from revzilla.com. I believe their 2 helmet unit is $275 or $300. I have never heard the other end of a phone conversation, but my wife says it sounds great and is easy to understand. Also, it was a breeze to install.

I can't speak for the midland but I've heard they're not the best, but I can't speak from experience. I have the Cardo Scala Rider Teamset for the same reason you want one - wife has own bike. They're wireless bluetooth VOX (voice operated transmitter), 1500 ft range, can send/recieve phone calls and receive GPS commands via bluetooth, bike to bike, bike to passenger, bike to bike and passenger, built in FM stereo and MP3 jack. You can also detach the transmitter and take it in the store with you so it doesn't get stolen. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE!!! Love them so much I bought two sets - one set for the cruiser helmets and one for the modulars. No switching back and forth!!

It helped out so much when I was teaching her to ride. I could follow her and walk her through everything, or stand in the parking lot and guide her through whatever. She can be 10 car lengths behind me with no loss of signal. Usually I ride out front so I can tell her "There's gravel on this turn" or "Road kill ahead" or "WATCH THE DEER!!!!" LOL.

I bought them on eBay for $179 for the pair new in box. We don't ride without them. We once got caught in the rain and my mic got trashed from the water, but Iron Pony sells pieces parts and I replaced it (they're close to me soI got them there). I highly reccommend this product. Sorry I can't help with the Midland brand.