Opinions Needed: Honda CRV

Casper

Maybe I confused it for a different model. I thought the sticker said made in Mexico.:o

I'm going to embellish the numbers here, but what we're told is that just over 98% are made at our East Liberty Plant for US and Canada, most the the remainder are imported from Japan. When the company as a whole cannot meet dealer orders, low models can be imported from our HDM (Mexico) plant. You very well may have seen one!

For the wife I would go with the CRV over the Rav4 and Rogue for sure. I have seen too many nightmare stories with almost new rogues from family and some mechanic buddies. I second the Kia/Hyundai, they are generally less expensive and you are getting what you pay for, sometimes the details aren't there.... but you get exactly what you pay for... wheras you pay a bit for the Honda/Toyota name panache.

Consumer Reports notes the small suv catagory - score:

1. Subaru Forester 2.5 XT Limited - 87

2. Toyota RAV4 V6 - 83

3. Toyota RAV4 4cyl - 82

4. Volkwagen Tiguan - 80

5. Subaru Forester 2.5 X Premium - 80

6. Honda CR-V - 76

7. Mitsubishi Outlander 4-cyl - 73

8. Nissan Rogue - 73

9. Mitsubishi Outlander V6 - 70

10. Kia Sportage - 70

The wife and I have test-drove all the above, and even added in the Kia Sorento.

It is an extremely close call between Subaru and Toyota. I liked the comfort of the VW, but the price was a bit steep if I wanted a bunch of options. The Sorento wasn't bad, but Consumer reports puts it in the large SUV category. To me, Subaru hit higher on the comparison since it has a lot longer history in the AWD category, and their new transmission is pretty damn cool(a bit loud if you try to do faster takeoffs). The Toyota can get loaded on options without breaking the budget(and Toyota seemed to have more incentives at the time).

My dad had a CR-V he liked it, but it had a ton of front wheel drive pull. His wasn't the 4x4/all wheel though so perhaps its different in that. My sister's father-in-law has a new CR-V and the armrest is falling off, definitely a quality control issue. My wife drive a Pilot. It was a way better family vehicle for us due to it's size and comfort.

On a side not the back seat of the Equinox made me feel like I was sitting in a church pew, hard seat and way to ergonomically correct seating position for my fat ass.

On a side not the back seat of the Equinox made me feel like I was sitting in a church pew, hard seat and way to ergonomically correct seating position for my fat ass.

Which Equinox?

2009 and before the Equinox sucked and was not even close to competing with the CRV and Rav4. The 2010 and newer is all new, is much better and the rear seat has adjustable recline. If newer maybe someone had put your rear seat back in the most upright position. I have found the rear seat to be reasonably comfortable, which is unusual for someone 6'2". And 3 across is actually doable unlike the 2009 CRV we looked at.

Craig

For the wife I would go with the CRV over the Rav4 and Rogue for sure. I have seen too many nightmare stories with almost new rogues from family and some mechanic buddies. I second the Kia/Hyundai, they are generally less expensive and you are getting what you pay for, sometimes the details aren't there.... but you get exactly what you pay for... wheras you pay a bit for the Honda/Toyota name panache.

I haven't had issues with my 2011 Rogue. It's almost got 10k on it, not sure what problems you're talking about. Some of the earlier Rogues, had problems with their CVT transmission, but Nissan has addressed that issue. Just get out there and test-drive them all, and get what you like. I would like to add, the Rogue handles great in the snow. Have you guys looked into the Nissan Juke? It's a fun little SUV, that has a turbo on it.

I just looked at my 01-11 Consumer buyers guide and they rated the CRV number one for vehicles in that class. The runner up was the Rav 4. My bosses wife drives one its an 01 and has almost 300K. No issues... He's changed the timing belt and water pump but I believe thats been remedied with a chain after 02 or 3. Looks like a solid investment.

• 1 month later...
She only wants AWD/4WD for the ice and snow. Other than that, it doesn't matter at all. No trail running for this little guy. LOL.

I have always found that "logic" to be pretty ridiculous. Pay a lot more money for a feature that you only need maybe once a year in Columbus...

decent ground clearance, fwd, and tires with decent tread on them will do just fine in 98% of snowy conditions.

Once you're moving, awd just means that you can lose traction by spinning all four wheels instead of only the drive wheels.

drivers all over the country get a false sense of confidence from awd/4wd every winter, and the result is more severe accidents, or getting stuck much further into conditions they had no business driving in in the first place...

Carrie is smarter than that. I would be surprised if she wouldn't reconsider.