Ok, I want opinions on what to do with my money.

RSparky

Trying not to screw myself over here...

My car is a 98 Dodge Avenger 2.5 L with 144,xxx miles. The exhaust header leaks, and has since I bought it. Sounds like a wannabe redneck tuner. Looks like it too, with a very cheap racing stripe paintjob that was done before I bought it. The ball joint knuckle recently broke, and after replacing that, the wheel bearing is definitely in need of replacement. I know this Dodge is pretty much supposed to fall apart, from what I've read on Avenger specific forums. The ball joints all used to have a lifetime replacement recall, because they just can't seem to get it right. Now, due to their stinginess, they changed that to a once a life thing. It was apparently already done on mine before I bought it with 100k on it.

I'm seriously considering getting rid of it. Awesome car, fun to drive, and I can actually stretch my legs out, but I'm a college student trying to fund my motorcycle addiction. Not to mention that I'm engaged, and that's another money thing in and of itself...:eek:

I could replace the bearing eventually, but I'm pretty busy. And I'm not going to pay a shop to do it. I'm a scrooge. My brother, and others are saying to drive it til it falls apart, and hope I have enough saved for something new by then. I think I'd be better off replacing the bearing and trying to sell it.

I kinda feel like you guys are smart, so I kinda value your opinions, so don't joke with me please... What would you do?

Sounds like my 97 Intrepid. Yeah its got a few things wrong with it but screw it. I have told myself im going to drive it till the wheels fall off for a few years now. I keep putting gas in it and it keeps taking me where i wanna go! So add me to the list of people that say drive it into the dirt. Then when you can afford to buy what you want then get rid of it. As soon as the wife goes back to work from her "I'm to take a few months off once we have the baby" that has lasted for 2.5yrs now i think i may get something newer.

Why fix it to sell it? Sell it as is.. You would loose money otherwise, right? :confused:

My friend had an Avenger, it was a money pit..

I was glad I didn't buy my Ex one, then we split up...then I was pissed because I should have bought it for her. ;)

They are nice looking cars though. IMO..

I hate to be a downer, but the kind of money you'll get from an Avenger won't buy you anything much better and it certainly won't leave you with money to fund your motorcycle or wedding. You've described a thousand dollars or more worth of stuff wrong with the car - I say drive it til it dies. At that point, scrap it and buy something new. Hopefully you're in a better place then. Also keep in mind college students shouldn't have nice things. Keep a beater car, get a beater bike. Have a blast with both, and don't care if your drunk roomate knocks it over... don't ask...

but I'm trying to fund my motorcycle addiction. ---------

quote]

I have generally funded my motorcycle addiction by buying cheap Japanese cars, and lately Honda Accords. I look for the lowest miles -under 100k prefered and earlier models 1990s or better because the price tag drops. It usually takes a while to find so I start looking for the next car when the current ride hits around 185k miles. They are reliable and I havent needed to throw money at them. And when you sell the old car, you usually get a decent price for it. I'm on my 2nd Accord. Not real sexy, but on quite a few occasions I've had $15K + worth of nice motorcycles, and a $2800 car. Works for me. :cool:

Edited by mello dude

lol i think i remember reading about a drunk roommate on here once. that sucks.

and it definitely is a beater. i'm sticking to beaters if i do get another. Was looking at a 97 Camry with 177,xxx miles for 3k just now. They went so far as to detail that the passenger power window switch was flaky, so it seemed like they were honest about it.

and the point in fixing the bearing is because it makes a god-awful scrapey clank noise. that'd turn me off of it for sure. the leaky exhaust is not really something i care about. haven't passed out yet, so the cabin is sealed enough lmao.

the consensus seems to be get something that isn't a pile of rust. i'm feeling the same.

The Chrysler corp makes garbage, I hope you leaned your lesson there. That being said, you could try to find parts at a wrecking yard like pull a part and do the work yourself to save some money. You're only gonna get a grand or so for it if you sell it, I'd beat it till it dies, stuff a rag in the gas tank and light it, then buy an old camry, corolla or accord.

i thought about selling my grand am 3 years ago because i thought it wasnt going to last much longer...well i still have it and its now got almost 180,000 miles on it..so basicly its saved me a ton of money not having to buy another car, im hoping it makes it to 200k