Vtwin question

scottie.harris

im planning on picking up another bike before next season, but the debate comes down to the RC51 and the TL1000R. I know everyone says the RC51 is better, but ive always loved the TLR. What it boils down to with me isnt really "performance" as ill never push either hard enough to know, but can you fit side bags on either of them without the modding the exhaust? I also hear that the TLR is more comfortable. And does the RC51 have a passenger seat?

I'd say both would accommodate sport saddle bags as long as neither have high mount exhaust - up to you and your tastes as to which bike is more appealing - either one "could" make a DECENT sport tourer but the RC has better suspension - I've seen about every type of sportbike converted (at some extent) to touring, but like Papa said the VFR is a better platform to start touring on with the least amount of time/$$ invested......its ready to roll as is, where the others demand some form of re-ergo'ing to get tank after tank comfort

Rc51 is really great at accelerating, braking and turning. At a steady speed its a bastard, constantly pulling up and letting go of the slack in the chain and counter-shaft. Also the clip ons are below the clamps on the triple tree which makes for a very agressive and aerodynamic-but very uncomfortable riding position. Don't try to turn a race replica into a touring bike, just get an fj or vfr or something that's purpose-built for your application. My $.02

I'm not really looking for a touring bike, and comfort isn't really a factor. The only thing is I occasionally passenger and am tired of the bookbag. I don't think I've seen a rc51 passenger seat though. The tl1000 is my primary choice though, I would pick a superhawk, sv, or tl1000s, but I don't like the looks of them.

Any particular reason you want a V-twin?? Lots of good sport bikes that you could tour on or ride 2 up comfortably...and the RC51 isn't one of them. An Aprilia Falco would be a much better choice if you want a sporty & comfortable V-Twin with a decent passenger seat.

Edited by drew95gt

I'm not really looking for a touring bike, and comfort isn't really a factor. The only thing is I occasionally passenger and am tired of the bookbag. I don't think I've seen a rc51 passenger seat though. The tl1000 is my primary choice though, I would pick a superhawk, sv, or tl1000s, but I don't like the looks of them.

I have a passenger seat on my RC (which is still for sale, BTW:D) and my hopes is that your passenger weighs 150 lbs or less and has a 18" inseam. I will say that a friend of mine was 5'7" and 145 and the only thing she complained about was the heat on her feet from the exhaust, and we rode a lot. But by and large, I've not gotten rave reviews about the comfort out back of my RC.

Any particular reason you want a V-twin?? Lots of good sport bikes that you could tour on or ride 2 up comfortably...and the RC51 isn't one of them. An Aprilia Falco would be a much better choice if you want a sporty & comfortable V-Twin with a decent passenger seat.

:plus1:

.... except for the passenger seat thing... can get cramped...