Tire help

redbarron77

Okay....everyone here knows that I am not the most mechanically inclined....

Have a flat on the 05 Shadow Aero's back tire(which is still in good riding condition). Found the nail, removed it, added the tire plug. Filled it up with air, and now found it is leaking from two of the spokes(that are right next to each other).

Upon certain reflection(and reading some trouble shooting tips)....and serious review of the owner's manual....

I can't tell if I just screwed it up worse....as far as I can tell, it is a tubeless tire, but nowhere in the manual has anything about tube specification. I am pretty certain the tire says tubeless, but I am starting to question my already questionable memory!

Should I only have to tighten the spokes in question, and should I use a torque wrench(which I don't have one for that small of a nut), or just until it stops leaking air?

Pretty sure there are such things as tubeless spoke rims, mostly on newer high-end DS bikes like Beemers. Meant for applications where a modern tubeless radial is mated to a lightweight spoke wheel. Doubt if your bike is one of them, however. Prolly a tube, and prolly means you need a new one. One good thing is that if it already had nail hole in it, you didn't screw it up much more than it already was....

And just an FYI, you can't stop a leak in a spoked rim by tightening the spokes. As a matter fact, if you selectively tighten spokes on one part of the rim, you can throw the rim/wheel out of true with respect to both lateral and longitudinal run-out. Worst case, you put too much tension on a particular set of spokes and have them snap during operation, causing a catastrophic wheel failure. Haven't seen it happen on a MC, but have experienced it personally on a MTB. Can you say "Chinese endo"? :eek: