New 64 1/2 -66 Mustang --- FROM FORD?

jester3681

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/ford-reintroduces-the-1965-mustang.html

Man, this is pretty cool. I'm impressed that Ford is doing this themselves. I'd love to build one of these, and let's be honest, $15k isn't terrible. They already make Gen II bodies (just not through Ford) and they're talking about making a Gen I Bronco? Even better!

I'm going to get on my soapbox here - it's decisions like this that got Ford through the meltdown without borrowing government funds. Kudos to an American company for thinking outside the box to support it's followers. I worked at Nissan for three years, and my wife drives a Rogue just because I know exactly what I got when I bought it, and for the kind of money a new car costs, I need to know. But I'm proud to drive a Sable. And I'm looking hard at a Fusion/Milan when the Sable finally kicks it - hoping to get another 5 years out of it, and transmission willing, I will. Of the big three, I've always respected and preferred Ford. ChevySoldier, go ahead, take me to town... :D

I'm going to get on my soapbox here - it's decisions like this that got Ford through the meltdown without borrowing government funds.

Uh, i'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there...

I love fords. My grandfather worked there for many years, and I have pictures of him in the original roofless mustang prototype with a rear-engine V4.

...but the only reason ford didn't need bailout money is because tehy borrowed a shit-ton of money from private banks a few months before other automakers collapsed.

Furthermore, ford would have been up shit creek without a paddle if GM hadn't gotten bailed out.

Fewer parts being imported into the US (from the loss of GM) would have driven up their shipment costs, and probably sunk ford.

The F150, E150, and fleet sales of teh Crown Victoria kept ford alive for most of the 90's while they took some big swings, and missed. Remember the Explorer roll-overs? The Ford Contour was a terrible car. The ford "five-hundred" (rebadged taurus) sold like shit. The 4.6 liter v8 that barely produced 260hp???

come on...

and again, I love fords.

WOW! Pretty cool, but I would think this is gonna kill some of the classic car values these collectors have been shelling out at all these auctions the last decade +

I agree with those that prefer Gen1 Bronco to Gen1 Mustang.

And redkow's rebuttal on Ford's financials during the bailout. Respect for a company is one thing, until you ask people to put their money where their mouth is...

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9QK6AKG0.htm

I actually think Chevy started this about 4 years ago.. without looking it up because im lazy, I believe you could get a 1st gen Camaro body and the price was under $20000.

directly from chevy? i know theres aftermarket companies that have been doing it for a few years now - i saw one on one of those weekend morning hot rod shows

the same company that is doing the Fords now has been doing Camaro's for awhile now. This just happens to be "endorsed" by Ford now as they also had been previously making 68-70 bodies

http://www.dynacorn.com/

Before my Dad decided to restore his GTO, we were throwing around the idea about using one of these bodies but putting it on a modern chassis and drop in an LSx engine with modern suspension goodies

Edited by Bad324

This makes Dyno Brian very sad. :(

Me too, 'cause I liked Ford and their vehicles.

I also like what they're putting out now, but when a company treats me like they did, they aren't getting my business - plenty of other companies out there that make cars and trucks.

I love fords. My grandfather worked there for many years, and I have pictures of him in the original roofless mustang prototype with a rear-engine V4.

...but the only reason ford didn't need bailout money is because tehy borrowed a shit-ton of money from private banks a few months before other automakers collapsed.

Furthermore, ford would have been up shit creek without a paddle if GM hadn't gotten bailed out.

Fewer parts being imported into the US (from the loss of GM) would have driven up their shipment costs, and probably sunk ford.

The F150, E150, and fleet sales of teh Crown Victoria kept ford alive for most of the 90's while they took some big swings, and missed. Remember the Explorer roll-overs? The Ford Contour was a terrible car. The ford "five-hundred" (rebadged taurus) sold like shit. The 4.6 liter v8 that barely produced 260hp???

come on...

and again, I love fords.

That's not necessarily true... In the 2-3 years leading up to the auto crash, Ford sold off all unnecessary assets (Jaguar, Land Rover, Volvo, Aston Martin, Mazda, etc) in order to build up a surplus of cash and they borrowed money in 2006 to restructure. The money was borrowed from banks, using all Ford assets as collateral.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/09/business/09ford.html.

And I know someone will bring up the $11 billion Ford "borrowed from the Fed". Those were DoE Advanced Technology Vehicles Manufacturing Program (ATVMP) funds being used to develop alternative energy vehicles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Technology_Vehicles_Manufacturing_Loan_Program

So no, they didn't take a government handout.

come on...

and again, I love fords.

That's just funny.

the same company that is doing the Fords now has been doing Camaro's for awhile now. This just happens to be "endorsed" by Ford now as they also had been previously making 68-70 bodies

Before my Dad decided to restore his GTO, we were throwing around the idea about using one of these bodies but putting it on a modern chassis and drop in an LSx engine with modern suspension goodies

ahh i see now!! this makes sense....i knew an aftermarket company was doing these cars already, so to hear that Ford was doing them was a surprise....but now it makes sense that its the same company and they arent really coming from Ford theyre just endorsed by Ford...thanks for the clarity...i figured you would know all about this shit since most American cars are made by your family in Mexico

Yea thats the one.. I guess i forgot that it was another company doing the Camaros. Pretty awesome either way. would love to do an old Camaro on a new chassis with a LSx motor.

So no, they didn't take a government handout.

That's just funny.

An energy subsidy or other govt subsidies aren't handouts? I'll have to remember that.

And you'll have to explain the funny... funny haha funny? Funny because its true funny? When 90%+ of your manufacturing business comes from the big 3, and 40% of that vanishes overnight... you don't believe that would've affected Ford?

If I price widget 'A', say a door hinge assembly, on a production run of 3M parts a year, and all of a sudden 1.2M parts ordered are cancelled, you don't think that'll have an impact on the revenue I'd lose, the price per piece of what I sell to Ford now, or the fact that I might not even be able to afford the payments of my labor, lease, and equipment when they are only running at 60% the operational effectiveness? I'd be better to just file bankruptcy, close shop, and walk away with what I have.

But Ford will just find another supplier of door hinges right? If they're smart, which they probably are, they likely already have 2 or 3 separate suppliers for key components - ya know, a supply base diversification strategy. The door hinge probably isn't one of those 'key' components, but let's say it is... good luck getting the other suppliers to ramp up to those kind of production levels overnight. The demand planner would shit bricks. And, you're probably sharing those OTHER suppliers with GM too... so they're in the same boat as the first scenario.

So, just start fresh right? Lucky for you, when GM forced me to go bankrupt with my last company, I repurchased all those assets back from the bank for pennies on the dollar, renamed the company, and fired it right back up. It just took a few weeks. What do you think it costs Ford to idle their production line when they don't have the right parts? Its on the scale of Millions of dollars per HOUR. Try doing that for 4 weeks.

Last scenario I can imagine is starting fresh with a new supplier. With the timeline and cost it takes to make production tooling, PPAPing, and meeting the stringent quality standards of automotive OEs... that'll be an even greater economic penalty than if you lucked out going back to a 'renamed' supplier post-bankruptcy.

So, I still don't get the funny

:confused:

Edited by JRMMiii