Loading a motorcycle alone

Saacattack

Hey guys,

I'm picking up my new bike (07 Daytona 675) tomorrow evening. Downside to it is I'm 80% sure I'm going by myself. With that being said, any recommendations for loading it into the bed of a ford ranger? I've got a ramp for the bike ( width is a little bigger than the rear tire) that i'll strap to the tail gate. When I went to the track I had to someone else, so I didn't have to worry about if it leaned to far away from me. Also I stepped up on a bucket because I'm only 5'6".

Thanks!

the owner is deployed and is in california for another week or two. So his wife has power of attorney and is doing the deal with me (he knows all about it because I've emailed him and everything and have spoke with him on the phone multiple times)

Getting the back wheels of the truck into a ditch, or backed up against a hill makes it easy. I load my bikes into my truck alone on a regular basis. Loading alone is easy, unloading alone isn't.

I usually put the bike in first and creep it up the ramp walking beside it till the front wheel is in the bed and i can't walk forward any further. Kill the motor, leave it in gear and hop up onto the tailgate. Restart and finish the job.

Make sure the truck is low enough and the ramp is long enough that the bike won't high center on the tailgate. Had that happen, and its a pain in the ass with multiple people, wouldn't want to deal with that by myself.

To be safe I use three ramps and walk the bike up under power. I have used one and clutched it up while standing next to it, just gotta have some faith in balancing it while you climb up on the tailgate. Have done it without power with the help of another person, get a bit of a running start, push it up the ramp as far as I can reach, have the other person spot on the right side and give it the final shove after I've climbed up in the truck. 200lb dirt bike is no problem to push up the ramp myself, 400lb sportbike I need help with that last shove. I used to hit the ramp at speed and ride it up, then my ramp slipped off one day.

Your Ranger should be a bit easier angle than my truck, as others have said if you can use some terrain to raise the front of the truck or lower the rear it helps a bunch.

Tie the ramps to the truck to help prevent them slipping off also.

Honestly the easiest way to load a bike alone is to either :

A. Have a ram wide and long enough you can walk up it with the bike in gear feathering the clutch to keep it going.

B. Use two rams on for the bike and one for you to walk up with the bike in gear feathering the clutch to keep it going.

C. Get the bike up to about 10mph and just ride up the ramp like stunt rider.

-Either way be sure to secure the ramp to the vehicle.

Here's how NOT to do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxw_q3Zo7so&feature=related

Here's the question to ask yourself - are you willing to pay to fix the damage from where the bike falls off the ramp, or truck, and and pain you may incur when it falls on you. I would very much recommend having a second person. Ask me how I know this - 03 Suzuki... with 3/4 of a mile on it. It's worth just standing by your truck with the bike for an hour or so until one of the Dayton guys can help. Also, make sure to have help at the other end too.