.torrent question.

jhaag

(affix tinfoil hat)

so, i've gotten a lot of music downloading from torrentreactor.com through the uTorrent program. however, lately when i go to torrentreactor and search for music it will take me to the link for download and when i click it it just goes to a white screen. also, the uTorrent program search function wont bring up .torrents like it used to.

any ideas? are they on to me?

I've had no problem with utorrrent lately, maybe try to uninstall in reinstall.

I mean, what's a torrent, don't download illegal music, its bad. Guns are bad as well. :)

oh, well what i meant was, 'a friend of mine' was asking.....:D

i was looking...er, i mean, 'my friend'...was looking for a way to update it, but never thought of uninstall/reinstall. he'll give it a try tonight.

also, guns are bastards. :(

Have you tried the new frostwire? They switched from being gnutella based to using strictly torrents...I've never used uTorrent but frostwire's search function is pretty good, it'll search all the major sites: pirate bay, torrent reactor, mininova, etc

at least that's what I've heard

there is nothing inherently illegal about a torrent... its the material being torrented. i mean, i could make a torrent of pics of my cat. that would be totally legal.

try piratebay or demonoid and see if you have problems? make sure your utorrent is updated too.

Like John said, torrents themselves aren't illegal, it's the content.

Nowadays you're better off getting music via http/https sources so you're not sharing. Files are hosted a TON of places if you just look.

Otherwise, I hope you're behind a proxy if you're dabbling in not-so-legal trading.

Have you tried the new frostwire? They switched from being gnutella based to using strictly torrents...I've never used uTorrent but frostwire's search function is pretty good, it'll search all the major sites: pirate bay, torrent reactor, mininova, etc

at least that's what I've heard

Nothing personal, but I'd stay away from frostwire/limewire/etc. People are not smart and they will catch something from there. I guarantee it.

Find yourself a good torrent tool like uTorrant, and do the legwork to find what you're looking for yourself. 10000x less likely to catch a virus or malware.

thanks for the replys, guys!

i use uTorrent right now, but i dont see where the option is to update it. do i need to uninstall and reinstall a newer version? its seems there would be an update option in one of the menus, but i dont see it. i think this is the prob because there used to be a small window that popped up when i initiated the download and now it doesnt do it. i may try another program, if i cant get it.

as far as a firewall, does the wireless connection i get through the wall from my neighbor count? :o

also, my activities are totally legit. i mostly look for funny pics for caturday. :cool:

i use uTorrent right now, but i dont see where the option is to update it. do i need to uninstall and reinstall a newer version?

hmm. im not really sure if there is a button or what. normally it just pops up a thing for me saying there's an update available. you probably could uninstall and download the latest version with no problems...

Nothing personal, but I'd stay away from frostwire/limewire/etc. People are not smart and they will catch something from there. I guarantee it.

Find yourself a good torrent tool like uTorrant, and do the legwork to find what you're looking for yourself. 10000x less likely to catch a virus or malware.

You're probably right. I only use it to download music, I stick to redtube for my pr0n and I don't use pirated software anymore. Hopefully downloading Nickelback's entire library of music won't give me a virus...

Does anyone do direct download? As in no peer to peer, you download directly from a server. It is way faster because it is only limited on your internet speed, more reliable and anonymous because you are not connecting to another random person. There are a ton of sites that do this (megaupload, rapidshare, mediafire, filestube, just to name a few good ones) and if you just google what you are looking for with the word megaupload or rapidshare at the end you will find a bunch of sites containing that file. It is usually very good quality too, none of this 92 or 128kbps crap. Almost everything you find is 256 or 320kbps.

I found this about 2 years ago and have only used torrents maybe 3 times since just for the random item I could not find. This method typically work best on new things because it is much easier for the record companies to have files removed due to copyright infringement as opposed to torrents because the file is located on a server and not a bunch of user computers but its rare that I am unable to find what I am looking for on at least ONE of the above sites.

If you do use this method, you will need an extraction program such as winrar or unrarx because these files are usually compressed in either .rar or .zip format for easy transfer.

Edited by JStump

I have a friend who finds the youtube official video of songs he wants and then DL's the song with a firefox plug-in that'll download flash videos. Then he converts the flash video to mp3 and imports to iTunes. It's a couple extra steps, but it's high quality, official music, and easy to find with no viruses. He just gets individual songs, not whole albums.

I use a mac anyway. As does my friend, of course.

So could you guys explain to someone who is not a nerd how to or where to go to simply download music to my pc so i can put it on my mp3 player? Oh an I dont want to pay for it! I have bought enough albums over the years at $20 a pop or so to find I only like 3 or 4 songs out of 12 to 15.