Winter Ride... who needs winter gear? :p

OsuMj

Went for a little winter ride today. My car lost an accessory belt yesterday, so went to autozone and did some last minute christmas shopping. I don't have any winter gear though, so I went with a tank top, t-shirt, hoodie, 2 spring jackets, and the motorcycle jacket... oh and giant fuzzy socks to keep my legs warm. All I have to say is: holy hell its cold.

Went for a little winter ride today. My car lost an accessory belt yesterday, so went to autozone and did some last minute christmas shopping. I don't have any winter gear though, so I went with a tank top, t-shirt, hoodie, 2 spring jackets, and the motorcycle jacket... oh and giant fuzzy socks to keep my legs warm. All I have to say is: holy hell its cold.

Similar story for me about 6 years back. Had a critter chew up the car's spark plug wires and needed cables when it was about 30 and lightly snowing. Nice easy ride, but cold!

Heated gear is on my list... till then, the 6 layers isn't too bad. It was weird though, I was surprisingly tired after that short ride. I blame the cold, but it might have been because I was dressed like ralphie's little brother and it was difficult to move :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW4IZ0Flh3M

Heated gear keeps me commuting regularly with an occasional run for fun.

which piece of gear do you think is clutch for staying warm? I think my first purchase is gonna be gloves because my fingers get cold before anything else.

which piece of gear do you think is clutch for staying warm? I think my first purchase is gonna be gloves because my fingers get cold before anything else.

Gloves were my biggest downfall. I could layer up top and bottom no problem but once my hands would get cold it was game over. Also, a good balaclava makes a HUGE difference in warmth too

My first heated item was gloves. The following year I added a vest. Keeping your core warm is key to overall warmth. I have heated grips on the VFR and between the grips and gloves my hands are sandwiched in warmth.

I rode around all day until 5 :D enjoyed every min of it! Wearing Leather jacket with fleece liner, leather gauntlets, sweatpants under jeans, shit kickers, normal white socks, a scarf to keep the wind out from under the front of my helmetc6e4e26d-22e7-d440.jpg

I'm too much if a wuss when it comes to the cold 45 is my limit for the cold.

im with you on this!!!

although i have used an 'Old Biker Trick' of putting a couple pages of newspaper in front of your chest, blocks the wind really well!! i even put a couple pages in fron of my shins, since that was the coldest part on me

I've taken to wearing an old snowboarding jacket over my usual gear. If I go out and it's in the 40's, I'll have a thermal LS t-shirt, a fleece sweatshirt, my armored jacket, and then the snowboard jacket. I have cordura armored pants that I wear over jeans, and some heavy work boots since my usual motorcycle boots breathe way too well when it's cold.

My weakness has been gloves but I dug up an old pair of ski gloves with a leather palm. They're probably not the best thing for crash protection but they put my focus back on the road, not on my hands. In the past I've installed dirtbike hand guards to block the wind and that made a huge difference as well.

No heated gear, and the jacket covers my neck right up to my helmet. I won't ride when it's below 40 due to the possibility of ice, but when it's 40-50 I'll be more than comfortable for a couple hours with that gear.

i did 20 degrees a couple times. just gotta give yourself a big bubble for braking and maneuvering, especially with sport tires... freezing and dry, or wet and above 40 are my limits. my "Fly Aurora" snowmobile gloves from motorcycle-superstore kick butt in the cold. a pack of hot hands isn't even necessary, but it sure is cozy. non electric heated gloves. :-)

im with you on this!!!

although i have used an 'Old Biker Trick' of putting a couple pages of newspaper in front of your chest, blocks the wind really well!! i even put a couple pages in fron of my shins, since that was the coldest part on me

Haven't heard of that, just like everyone else my hands got cold and it just made me mad to ride with cold hands. When I had my katana I would hold my hands on the side of the engine for the heat. Had a woman give me a wtf look.

Fleece-lined jeans FTW! You can get them at Walmart or Meijer.

They have thick red fleece lining and they keep you really warm.

Never heard of these....hmm...I wonder if Santy Claus wouldn't mind running back out to get me another present... :D

But yeah, I commute on my FJR as long as it's not icy or below 20.

Fleece-lined jeans FTW! You can get them at Walmart or Meijer.

They have thick red fleece lining and they keep you really warm.

You can also get these at the Andersons and Cabelas' date=' better quality and a little more expensive. I have fleece lined as well as flannel lined.[/color']

Never heard of these....hmm...I wonder if Santy Claus wouldn't mind running back out to get me another present... :D

But yeah, I commute on my FJR as long as it's not icy or below 20.

Bass Pro Shop has lined jeans,fleece or flannel for around $20. For cold weather I wear a Technic Monsoon jacket Gore Tex with zip in liner and double collar with AGV Teluride pants, thermal liner,wind & rain liner. Plus you can open side vent on FJR to vent engine heat to rider, with the shield op its pretty warm back there.