Columbus Ohio 8th most dangerous city in the US

FZRMatt

looking at it closer though...doesnt appear to be a "most dangerous" list

looks like a list of the most advanced or well equipped police forces....personnel and technology wise...the comments only mention the size of the departments and stuff

when you said most dangerous i found it odd that dayton wasnt included since i have read a few dangerous city lists and dayton is on most of them....plus, honolulu is on the list...and we all know nothing bad happens in hawaii lol

Edited by Steve Butters

most dangerous cities in 2011 according to Forbes

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngiuffo/2011/10/03/americas-most-dangerous-cities/

1. detroit, MI

2. memphis, TN

3. springfield, IL

4. flint, MI

5. anchorage, AK

6. lubbock, TX

7. stockton, CA

8. tallahassee, FL

9. las vegas, NV

10. rockford, IL

looking at it closer though...doesnt appear to be a "most dangerous" list

looks like a list of the most advanced or well equipped police forces....personnel and technology wise...the comments only mention the size of the departments and stuff

when you said most dangerous i found it odd that dayton wasnt included since i have read a few dangerous city lists and dayton is on most of them....plus, honolulu is on the list...and we all know nothing bad happens in hawaii lol

I'm not sure where Forbes gets their data but the paragraph said the information was gathered from the FBI crime statistics. That information is taken directly from our reports. I am taking a stab and guessing they are including all forms of assaults, robberies, and homicides. The only reason we don't have a higher homicide rate is because we have kick-ass trauma hospitals. I would put our felonious assault rates up with any city in the country.

*edit* just read where they get their info. Someone is incorrect. I did forget to mention that we are certainly not a technologically advanced department. We barely have cruisers that run. The one I was driving last night had 180,000+ miles on it.

Edited by FZRMatt

From the article linked above:

Columbus is ranked the 8th most dangerous city in the United States of the 15 cities with a population of 700,000 or more, according to the FBI-based Morgan-Quitno rankings

good catch!

i assumed he meant the list was for the most dangerous cities, didnt know he was specifically referencing the paragraph under columbus

i read the paragraphs for the first few cities and didnt see much about crime so i figured it meant something other than dangerous cities, which i think it does since it ranks columbus 7 but then says its the 8th most dangerous

either way - if columbus is the 8th most dangerous, i now feel better about traveling lol...sure theres some parts of columbus i wouldnt go at night, but it really doesnt seem that bad here compared to some places ive been

I'm not sure where Forbes gets their data but the paragraph said the information was gathered from the FBI crime statistics. That information is taken directly from our reports. I am taking a stab and guessing they are including all forms of assaults, robberies, and homicides. The only reason we don't have a higher homicide rate is because we have kick-ass trauma hospitals. I would put our felonious assault rates up with any city in the country.

*edit* just read where they get their info. Someone is incorrect. I did forget to mention that we are certainly not a technologically advanced department. We barely have cruisers that run. The one I was driving last night had 180,000+ miles on it.

i misunderstood the list setup they have going....they list columbus at 7, then in the paragraph say its the 8th most dangerous...and for the other cities they dont mention crime for most of them...so im not sure what they are using to determine what makes a department a "top" department lol....either way, the paragraph for columbus says its the 8th most dangerous, which is news to me! lol

maybe you should apply for increased hazard pay now :)

also - the discrepancy between forbes and your article could come down to the comment "of the 15 cities with a population over 700,000"...perhaps some of the cities listed in forbes are below 700k.....especially detroit? does anybody still live in detroit? lol

i misunderstood the list setup they have going....they list columbus at 7, then in the paragraph say its the 8th most dangerous...and for the other cities they dont mention crime for most of them...so im not sure what they are using to determine what makes a department a "top" department lol....either way, the paragraph for columbus says its the 8th most dangerous, which is news to me! lol

maybe you should apply for increased hazard pay now :)

also - the discrepancy between forbes and your article could come down to the comment "of the 15 cities with a population over 700,000"...perhaps some of the cities listed in forbes are below 700k.....especially detroit? does anybody still live in detroit? lol

My guess is that the difference is what crime is being counted. One may be only counting felonious assaults and homicides and another may be counting regular assaults, rapes, armed robberies ....etc.

And I agree, we should go for hazardous duty pay when our dinner infraction expires. However, the fact of the matter is that we will probably end up giving up pay because we have cops negotiating our contracts and something we just shouldn't do.:)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngiuffo/2011/10/03/americas-most-dangerous-cities/

1. detroit, MI

2. memphis, TN

3. springfield, IL

4. flint, MI

5. anchorage, AK

6. lubbock, TX

7. stockton, CA

8. tallahassee, FL

9. las vegas, NV

10. rockford, IL

I agree for sure with 1,2,4,6,and 7.

I'm surprised Gary, IN and several NJ Cities didnt make high on the list.

I personally don't care for Chicago, Gary IN, almost any Mexican border town, Detroit, west Memphis AR, Memphis TN, or most of NJ.

If I remember right... the 2010 list (Forbes) had 4 Ohio cities ranked very high out of 50.

And Miami was way low, go figure. Detroit unfortunately was at the top of the list.

edit: ok, it depends on which list is used. Some factor in auto accidents or even natural disasters.

But all are taken from FBI statistics. But the original looks nothing like a list.

There are dozens of sets of data. Violent crime per 100,000 of population is the correct way to look.

It's more or less spreadsheet data, and has to be downloaded, sorted and interpreted.

The result is a variety of lists, that don't all say the same thing.

That Forbes list is a popular interpretation of the FBI data.

One of the 2010 FBI top 400 list (Crime in the United States 2009) for city crime rate (violent crime) said:

7. Cleveland

20. Dayton

24. Cincinnati

27. Toledo

37. Canton

47. Akron

49. Columbus

(Violent crimes are murder and non-negligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault, followed by the property crimes of burglary, larceny-theft, and motor vehicle theft. Arson excluded.)

Still looking for accurate 2011 (for 2010) data. And haven't yet looked at the official 2012 (preliminary 2011 data).

Edited by ReconRat

1. detroit, MI

2. memphis, TN

3. springfield, IL

4. flint, MI

5. anchorage, AK

6. lubbock, TX

7. stockton, CA

8. tallahassee, FL

9. las vegas, NV

10. rockford, IL

Anchorage???

The only reason we don't have a higher homicide rate is because we have kick-ass trauma hospitals. I would put our felonious assault rates up with any city in the country.

I agree with this. I work part time down at Grant Medical Center and see the lives being saved everyday. I had no idea how much crap really goes down in Columbus until I started working there, it's kind of scary and sad at the same time. I still really like the town...crime and all.