Dragon on TV 1025

Tonik

Ok, did you see the second half where they showed the life flight. I was there and have the pics to prove it. About 10 pics into the slideshow below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimkennedy/sets/72157626501516241/show/

LOL at jstumpalump150 telling your parents. I told my mom about it. She called a second after it was over and told me I am to never go there again. I am 52.

Edit: Whoops, no I was not there. My pic is from May of 2011. The fatality they are talking about was August of 2011.

Edited by Tonik

Also set to record, should I show my parents this and tell them I'm going there in the summer? Lol

Dont leave out that youll be staying with a bunch of guys you dont know and met on the internet :D

DVR'd watch in the morning when I get home.

Dont leave out that youll be staying with a bunch of guys you dont know and met on the internet :D

And that half of them will have guns lol

Just watched the dragon part, kinda scared the shit out of me from all the semi trucks they showed driving on it!

Edited by JStump

Don't be concerned when you hear the sounds of a banjo being played late at night, wee weee weeee.

And that half of them will have guns lol

Just watched the dragon part, kinda scared the shit out of me from all the semi trucks they showed driving on it!

supossably trucks are not aloud on the NC side any more so i would hope that will almost elimiate trucks all together. But the new rule only says trucks, does not say RV's, horse or boat trailers.

This was posted in a different thread but ill repost here...

BULLETIN: North Carolina has done what Tennessee won't do ...... ban trucks heading to the DRAGON. It is now illegal for trucks longer than 30 feet to operate on US 129 anywhere from US 19/74 all the way to the NC/TN State Line. They are also banned on NC 28 from NC 143 all the way to US 129. Also on the ban list is the entire Cherohala Skyway in North Carolina.

New signage will be erected to advise of the Restrictive Routes.

Want to hear what Tennessee says about banning trucks?

The commissioner (John C. Schroer) added that TDOT provides enhanced safety advisories in regards to potentially dangerous roadways and that it is the responsibility of motorists to exercise a greater amount of caution when traveling winding mountain roads.

So in Tennessee the signs warning trucks are actually aimed at other motorists telling them to DODGE THE TRUCKS THAT WILL BE IN YOUR LANE !!! Leave it to Tennessee to even make such ridiculous statements. The commissioner ought to be FIRED !!!

How about just banning the TRUCKS like North Carolina !!!! Now it is technically illegal for trucks to cross the Dragon and enter North Carolina. But they can legally turn around at the state line and return northward back across the Dragon as long as they stay in Tennessee. Great thinking Tennessee.

TruckRes_sm.jpg

Map showing roads that Prohibit Trucks Over 30 feet long.

The DARK BLACK ROADS INDICATE THE BAN

they make the road out to be scarier than it is, especially if you're slow like myself. I absolutely hate gravity cavity because my fat ass bottoms out my suspension even at low speed there. Last year I went 2 trips and probably went up and down the dragon a good 15 times, only once did I have a run in with a semi and now this year it should hopefully be semi free.

To me since I'm slow and extra cautious when on the dragon, the biggest danger is other bikes and cars coming over into my lane around blind corners...which most are. That really takes the fun out of it for me which is why I like going on the many many other roads in the area

annnnd mile marker 5 is EXACTLY where I had my incident with the semi I'm fairly positive

Edited by Bad324

meh, its not that bad. ive been through it on the VFR plenty of times and last year i went through on the street glide. ride your own pace and dont ride out of your ability and youll be fine. its the guys that think they're ricky racer who dont know how to ride, and the harley guys who cant stay in there own lane.

its a fun road, but there are better roads with less traffic around there.

i think id rather go ride near beckley WV.. lots of twisties and no traffic FTW

Its not my self I am worried about, it's turning a corner with a semi around it that was scaring me. Glad to know they are not allowed on it anymore.

I am sure you are thinking this, but just to be sure don't assume that because they are not allowed that they won't be there. And RV's and school buses still are allowed.

Its not my self I am worried about, it's turning a corner with a semi around it that was scaring me. Glad to know they are not allowed on it anymore.

also don't let the thought and worry consume you to the point you aren't concentrating on the road, your speed and cornering otherwise that is also a recipe for disaster. When I had my close encounter with a semi it was luckily the last run of the day I had planned on but I was so worried about what was around the next corner on the ride back to Fontana that my head wasn't in it enough to keep up with a Harley :o

I have family that lives roughly 35mins away from the gap and he says that there are numerous roads that are better then the dragon. He told me to bring my bike down and he'd show me the ropes so I may have to do a ride report this summer.

+1 on this last time we went down we only did the dragin once..28, skyway, foothills, warwoman, and the best for last "BamBams kick ass route" are far better

+1 on this last time we went down we only did the dragin once..28, skyway, foothills, warwoman, and the best for last "BamBams kick ass route" are far better

I haz a sad I missed the kick ass route :(