Larry Pegram to open motorcycle repair business in central Ohio

max power

Casper and I went down to the Canal Winchester council meeting to support Pegrams bid to open a first class repair facility in the old Ricart VanLand on 33. All repairs will be performed by his race mechanics. Unlike most local shops, these guys know a thing or two about motorcycles. More details as they become public.

http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/canalwinchester/news/2012/01/24/council-oks-conditional-use-permit-for-pegram-shop.html

Canal Winchester City Council agreed unanimously last week to uphold a planning commission ruling that grants Larry Pegram a conditional-use permit to open a motorcycle and ATV repair shop.

The vote came after a Jan. 17 public hearing, prompted by an appeal of the planning commission decision filed by Anthony LoSchiavo, 98 E. Fairfield St..

That’s just across U.S. Route 33 from the proposed site for the Pegram Racing Motorcycle Service Center at 6270 Bowen Road.

Council did add a stipulation that says motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles cannot be tested outside.

“Our big concern is with the noise,” LoSchiavo said at the public hearing. “I had the state come out and do a decibel test this summer. The test result said we qualify for a soundwall. We were worried the added motorcycle traffic would make it worse.

“If this gentleman operates as he says he’s going to, then I don’t have a problem with that.”

Pegram, an American Motorcycle Association Superbike racer and Discovery Channel personality, said he would be open for business by February.

“I think his (LoSchiavo’s) real desire is for a soundwall to block out the noise from Route 33,” Pegram said. “I can guarantee that we’ll be very noise-conscious because it isn’t in my best interest, or the interest of motorcycling, for me to aggravate people with noise.”

The city planning commission unanimously approved a conditional use for the motorcycle shop at its Dec. 12 meeting, during which LoSchiavo said he was concerned about the potential for noise.

Planning and zoning commission chair Mike Vasko said the commission approved the application because members don’t believe noise will be an issue. They also believe the shop would be an improvement over the long-empty Ricart RV business that once operated there and would add to the city’s tax base.

“We believe the shop wouldn’t cause undue noise or disturbance to the neighbors,” Vasko said. “The closest neighbors are across (Route) 33, and then there is a tree line and then a day care center before getting to these neighbors.

“All of the service work is to be done indoors, per our conditional approval,” he said.

Three residents spoke in favor of approving the motorcycle shop, including Shawn Detty

“I live within eyeshot of a motocross track right off High Street and nobody complains about that,” Detty said. “I’d love to have this motorcycle business come to Canal Winchester. It’s a small business that wants to come in and do good things for us.”

Pegram said he was thankful for the approval and plans to open the doors by February.

“We’ll be open for business in the next few weeks,” he said.

• Upvote 1

I had been wondering what was going on there lately. We go by every Sunday and every Sunday there's a white cargo van there.... That's also similar to what Larry brought to Mid O when we ran a random Monday event and he was testing with just his dead and 1 mechanic with him.....

Never had a clue it had anything to do with that, but I'd definitely support him. 5 minutes away, and hell I even need to pick up some oil and a filter, so I'd def. drop the bike off before the season starts and let the mechanics have their way. Too bad its a GSXR and not a BMW, maybe get a few new toys used from him lol.

Good for him and good for local business's!

so, does this mean they're going to add that left turn lane and traffic light on the eastbound side that they just took out at that intersection? :)

or will we have to go down to the ramp and do a flip? :(

You'll have to go to the Hill-Diley ramp and come back up.

Drove by today, actually his mobile home and several trailers are behind. No toter-trailer as I believe he is actually in Jennings per the reports. I should say 1 of his mobile homes, and it's definitely a diesel pusher so oh you know 250K+. Can't wait to have him open though and swing in.