WTB Mt. Bike

4DAIVI PAI2K5

Adam-

We are planning to ride Mohican on the Sunday after the Mid-O twilight. Thats the 16th... It's not hard core guys at all. None of us are racers and none of us are serious. It will be laid back, easy riding...

If you go this weekend, let me know how it goes. Mohican is a tough start trail for a starting out rider, but has it's stops to allow breaks and rest. Just don't push too hard as you'll be spent by mile 4...

I haven't ridden much at all with everything going on. Terrible shape vs. years past. But, I love this sport and wanna ride so bad!

Will be getting back to Alumn also, but sounds like morning rides are out for you. I am also going to be trying out Vulture's Knob up in Wooster. Heard it was good also...

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, if you are not sold on clip in vs non, don't worry. A lot of MTB riders run regular platforms pedals. Most the XC racers are doing clip in as they run harder and are running time trials, races, etc and it IS more efficient, but several MTB riders still run pedals. Including racers...

The XC guys are weight weinies and tend to make sure they have the lightest pedals, shoes, shave the hair on their legs, etc. It's all about weight. If they looked at my RIP 9 and what I use it for, they'd throw up in their mouths. It's an All Mountain and I am a Clydesdale...

Stick with pedals and you'll be fine. But, several friends run clip-less and love them. I have tried and tried and I like to be free on my feet. Hurts when I climb, but I ain't racin so, I don't care...

Adam-

We are planning to ride Mohican on the Sunday after the Mid-O twilight. Thats the 16th... It's not hard core guys at all. None of us are racers and none of us are serious. It will be laid back, easy riding...

If you go this weekend, let me know how it goes. Mohican is a tough start trail for a starting out rider, but has it's stops to allow breaks and rest. Just don't push too hard as you'll be spent by mile 4...

I haven't ridden much at all with everything going on. Terrible shape vs. years past. But, I love this sport and wanna ride so bad!

Will be getting back to Alumn also, but sounds like morning rides are out for you. I am also going to be trying out Vulture's Knob up in Wooster. Heard it was good also...

This Sunday is my last weekend day off until late October... I will for sure let you know how it goes. We are all kind nervous but excited lol. The trails we have rode here are ruff and rocky. So we're looking forward to riding a smooth trail!

Thankfully we parked a car at the covered bridge. We had a blast. Got a leg cramp at mile #9, that part sucked! Got to the bridge had a 12-14 year old kid stop and ask me if I rode my bike on those trails. I said nope I just push my bike through the woods. His mom started LOLing

yeah...there's some nice down hills around mile 10 and 11.

You stopped at a great spot actually. from mile 12-15...it's complete hell. Takes me about 30 mins to get to mile 15. it's mainly uphill. Mile 15-24 might be my favorite section - lots of flat and down hill and mile 22 is basically all down hill til the mile 23. Mile 24 is a separate little section that sucks. Not smooth at all...I wreck here often :)

Well great, the soles of my shoes will get a work out on miles 12-15.

Buddy about got taken out by a deer on mile 10 or 11 lol. This is after he had wrecked a few times and his seat came loose. It was tilted up so when he sat down the nose of the seat caught his sack and when he stood it rammed him in the taint. It was hysterical.

yeah...i've seen a few deer there on the trail. I've seen a fox once too...pretty cool. there was this groundhog that insisted on running the trail in front of me...I followed him for about 40 yards before he finally decided to go off trail :D

Brief PSA for Columbus area MTBers; I happened to see this thread about vandalism on P1 & not sure if everyone who rides there watches the CAMBA forum:

http://www.joinomba.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20947

Yup, pretty much an issue on both P1 and P2... Pretty much just need to make sure everything is out of site as much as possible. Less issue on P2 due to Sheriff going through more often...

Welp, did the full loop at Mohican yesterday. We had a blast! The cover bridge and beyond are probably where I started to fade pretty bad. Those two miles or so after are killers. But, the downhills along the way make it worth it.

I struggled at the climbs from about mile 20 and up. Just wore the muscles to the point of failure and really had a rough time.

Buddy has only ridden 4 times and has a hardtail. But, has ran something like 8 full marathons this year so far. YIKES!!! But, he crushed us. I would catch him on downhills, but he'd crush me on climbs after the bridge...

We all had an amazing time. One thing I will say... Make sure you don't blow out your Pro Pedal. I don't use it much, but when it blows, it's like riding a pogo stick... ;)

Welp, did the full loop at Mohican yesterday. We had a blast! The cover bridge and beyond are probably where I started to fade pretty bad. Those two miles or so after are killers. But, the downhills along the way make it worth it.

I struggled at the climbs from about mile 20 and up. Just wore the muscles to the point of failure and really had a rough time.

Buddy has only ridden 4 times and has a hardtail. But, has ran something like 8 full marathons this year so far. YIKES!!! But, he crushed us. I would catch him on downhills, but he'd crush me on climbs after the bridge...

We all had an amazing time. One thing I will say... Make sure you don't blow out your Pro Pedal. I don't use it much, but when it blows, it's like riding a pogo stick... ;)

Nice work! Covered bridge to mile 15 is tough. The horse trail area is pretty bad if it is wet...makes it even tougher.

What do you think about mohican in terms of needing a full suspension? I think it's a great course for a hard tail and the full is overkill.

As for your pro-pedal...i take it that you're doing a lot of standing when pedaling?

Nice work! Covered bridge to mile 15 is tough. The horse trail area is pretty bad if it is wet...makes it even tougher.

What do you think about mohican in terms of needing a full suspension? I think it's a great course for a hard tail and the full is overkill.

As for your pro-pedal...i take it that you're doing a lot of standing when pedaling?

I've not ridden at all down here, but did a lot of riding in NW Ohio... that being said, I think full suspension is overkill just about everywhere for trail riding. Unless there's a lot of downhill runs that require the extra help, I've always preferred a hard tail with a nice front shock setup.

I've not ridden at all down here, but did a lot of riding in NW Ohio... that being said, I think full suspension is overkill just about everywhere for trail riding. Unless there's a lot of downhill runs that require the extra help, I've always preferred a hard tail with a nice front shock setup.

i think p1 and p2 riders benefit from a full suspension...more roots and obstacles than mohican. but, you're right...a good hard tail 29er is all you need.

If i keep biking a 29er Epic with the Brain will be on my radar for next season.

The issue is that Pro Pedal when bad causes issue with the shock all together. Meaning, I lose compression and rebound tuning. Like a shock with blown seals - all spring. Bobs a ton...

I think the modern full suspended bikes are bad ass and have little to no bob when climbing...

I'm curious to see how the Cannondale will hold up down here. They're putting in some riding/walking trails along Alum Creek/Sunbury Road south of Easton, that's where I'll put her through her paces. Plan after that is to load her into the trunk and hit up P1 or P2 if I still can yet this year. I'm not holding my breath though. Still need to do a bit of work to get her on the trail. It will be a hardtail with Rock Shox Indy up front, rebuilt fork, but not new.