How long would you wait to file an ebay claim?

oldschoolsdime92

Backstory- Fz1 has trans problem. Found low mileage engine on ebay to swap in, so I can continue to ride while rebuilding other engine/trans.

So I purchase an engine on ebay, from powerseller, that has good ratings. I purchased the engine and paid for it on sunday the 12th. On the 13th, the seller contacted me and said the engine would be crated up, and shipped on the 14th. Awesome! ... Not so awesome. The seller notified ebay on the 15th, saying the engine had been shipped. Fine, they took an extra day. At this point I have sent the seller 1/2 dozen messages trying to get in contact with them. Even asked for a phone number to contact them at. No dice. I also asked them to give the shipping company my phone number, so they could call when they got close to my place of employment, to make sure I was at the shop.

In all of the messages I have sent to the seller thus far, have included my shipping address and phone number.

On the 16th the seller contacts me and says they need my shipping address as stated in the ad. I proceeded to give them my address now for at least the 6th time.

The seller now responds and gives me a tracking number(on the 16th), which since the 16th, has not worked or even registered as "processing"

At this point Im rather aggravated, because the ad clearly states shipping within 24-48 hours.

How long should I give it before I file my claim with ebay? I have never had a bad deal on ebay, and certainly didn't expect to have problems with a powerseller with high ratings.

In my experience, tracking numbers sometimes do not work for 24-48 hours. I'd give it one more day and then send them an email or try to call and let them know of your intentions. Bummer man. Good luck.

i think you have only 45 days to file a paypal dispute, so make sure you do it before then.

ron is right, tracking number can take a while to update too. im pretty sure they update in batches, not in real time.

I'm willing to bet that its being shipped freight. If thats the case, do you know what company it is? When I worked at Yellow, they were the worst at keeping up to date tracking for the customer unless it was a priority delivery. Tracking with freight opposed to like UPS or FedEx in the logistics world is night and day

In my experience, tracking numbers sometimes do not work for 24-48 hours. I'd give it one more day and then send them an email or try to call and let them know of your intentions. Bummer man. Good luck.

I really wish they would give me a phone number. I feel a lot of this could have been avoided had I been able to talk with someone directly, instead of chopped up ebay messages.

I really wish they would give me a phone number. I feel a lot of this could have been avoided had I been able to talk with someone directly, instead of chopped up ebay messages.

Hard to understand why they wouldn't give you a phone number or do a better job of responding to your emails.

Nothing good can come from bad communications,it puts a negitive feeling on the transaction before the product even arrives.

Good luck.

Hard to understand why they wouldn't give you a phone number or do a better job of responding to your emails.

Nothing good can come from bad communications,it puts a negitive feeling on the transaction before the product even arrives.

Good luck.

I couldn't agree more. Upon doing some googling and digging, I have come up with an address and a phone number. The tracking says the engine should arrive tomorrow. I am still debating giving them a call and explaining to them why I am unhappy and why they are going to receive negative feedback. They probably won't care, but I feel they should be aware.

the tracking number is now working. It says i should take delivery tomorrow. I will keep you guys posted. I hope to have my bike back riding next weekend!

We'll have to take a spin when you get it going!

Real men ride twins

Wow man, just caught this thread - I'd definitely post negative feedback on the seller for leaving you hanging - Personally, I wouldn't worry about contacting them again if it all works out when you get the engine home - just explain the prob on your feedback.

I'd be worried about the condition of the negine at this point if it does come.

Don't leave feedback until you know the condition of the engine. If you neg him for taking a week to ship then you can't neg him if the engine is crap. If the engine is good I'd give him a neutrl saying shipping was slow and communication could have been better.

Don't leave feedback until you know the condition of the engine. If you neg him for taking a week to ship then you can't neg him if the engine is crap. If the engine is good I'd give him a neutrl saying shipping was slow and communication could have been better.

^^This...maybe one under nuetral due to the annoyance factor. Hopefully it comes tomorrow, so I can clear leaving the house over the weekend with the wife now. lol

You can get the number from ebay I call seller up and got their address to from ebay wait after about 2 weeks but send him a email asking him why the tracking number not working and did he send the eng. out yet. But do ever thing with ebays email so if you have a problem you have it on record about the sell contacting you.

Sending engines takes time, well for me. Between crating it up and setting up the shipping, and then the actual shipping I wouldn't be surprised if it took 10+ days depending on location. The 'Buy it now' doesn't mean you'll get it now

Exactly, sometimes it just takes a little bit of time. Unless their 'shipping' info says otherwise, leaving a negative feedback is just going to be 'he said, she said' type of stuff, and the seller can just add their comeback to your negative comment. If it were me I would leave a neutral with explanation, but even that's not worth the effort really. Unless the motor turns out to be a pos and the seller won't refund the money.

I recently sold something electronic to an obvious foreigner. Description said it needed work, some parts were missing and a particular part probably needed replacing. Lots of pics too. Sold it cheaper than dirt ( $25??). So the guy dragged his feet paying (over 10 days...lol) then started asking me questions about the item, the type of questions you ask before buying. So we consummate the deal and the next thing I hear is him claiming the item was not as described. I talked to ebay and they say he is wrong, but I still offer him a full refund, after I get the item back, but I am not going to pay to have it shipped back. I told him that's ebay's policy (according to the person I talked to on the phone). So its been a week since our last correspondence.....I think when he got it he decided he didn't want it and figured he could get me to refund everything including shipping it back because, based on his comments, he didn't read the description or look at the pictures....he just didn't understand. So sometimes shithappens.....to both buyers and sellers.