Motorcycle Maxx Test Drive Policy?

Jcarlson

Before I begin I need to clearly state that I'm not bashing M.M., but rather simply looking for some clarification. My wife and I went there last night to look at a bike for her - 2005 Honda ShadowVLX 600 Deluxe. Nice bike, damn near showroom condition (one tiny chip in the paint), slightly outside of her budget but we gave it due dilligence. She loved it, I liked it, she almost bought it on the spot UNTIL I asked if she could test drive it.

The salesman (I won't name names) told us we had to buy it BEFORE we could test ride it. Then, if she didn't like it they'd just rip up the paperwork and we'd be done with it. HUH?

Does that mean she'd have to go through a loan app, transfer title, pay for tags and insurance THEN get to ride it? What if she didn't like it afterwards and they forget to refund her money?

I'm scratching my head trying to figure this one out. I've never heard of such a thing, nor would I ever do such a thing. Can someone explain this to me?

I thought maybe they require it so if you wreck it on the test drive, too bad it's yours now anyway? Shouldn't they have insurance for that? Maybe their insurance doesn't allow test rides? I don't know.

I'm wondering if anyone else was told this by them, if this is a standard practice, or if the guy was weeding out joy riders or whatever. Like I said she'd probably have bought it, or atleast seriously considered it, but after that we walked and they lost a sale.

Mind you, not that her few thousand bucks will make or break their business, but if this is their business model I can't see ever going back there. Who would do that with a $12,000 Harley or Goldwing?

Someone please explain.

few places ive been that allow them you have to be fully indorsed and put 20% down on the bike cash or charge on hold ot ride the bike.. if you total it you are charged full amount if you just wrecked you were charged up whatever the cost of the damages.. they wanted 20% to show you were serious.. if you were financing with Zero down you were not allowed

Tis a used bike, but even when new most dealers except for Harley or BMW don't allow test rides. I have never test rode any bike I have bought from a dealer, I just knew I would like them I reckon.

• Upvote 1

Motohio and AD Farrow have both offered test rides to me. Ask would not allow it and I can't recall if IP did or not. I've allowed test rides of both bikes that I've sold and both testers purchased them.

No test ride, no cash from me.

That's not the bike for me if you won't allow a test ride. Sure, within reason at a dealership - I'd go 20% down or the like, but seriously? You have to buy it first? Doesn't sound like they wanted to sell that one.

I've bought four bikes, all from private sellers, everyone let me test ride. Iron Pony does, Mid-ohio in Mt Vernon does, the Cycle Co on the Hilltop does, I've seen guys test ride at their partner company Integrity Cycles. I guess it's hit or miss. Most just make a copy of your license and make you sign a waiver and wear a helmet.

I understand you don't want me to crash. I don't want to crash. It's not mine so I'm going to be even more cautious. I know that's not always the case with some people though.

But, to have to actually buy it first is crazy. If I'm coming to look at your ride, I've got the cash (maybe not on me cuz I don't know you, but I have it).

You don't buy a car that way. In MY book - no test ride for me, no money for you.

I have to say though they weren't jerks about it or anything. Salesman was very nice, polite, professional. I just didn't agree with their policy.

Motohio let me test ride my Triumph before I bought it. Now granted the bike was used and this wasn't my first bike purchase from them either. I have been down to them for the Triumph demo days when they had the truck and have taken one of their other Ducati demo bikes for a quick ride. I would think most dealerships will use the excuse you where given until they know you and build trust that you will bring their machine back in perfect condition and without the law chasing you back. :D

Yeah ya know, I mentioned it was for her and she'd been riding for two years and now it's time to upgrade, so maybe they felt she's not experienced enough or something, or weeding out the joy riders or whatever - I don't know.

Here's another puzzling fact - he told us they have a six mile loop mapped out that they used as a 'test track'. I think that's because they're on Rt 23 where the speed limit is 55 right outside their door and so maybe they use this route because it's off the main road - who knows, but if you have a 'test track' then they must allow test rides, I would think. I don't get it.

Maybe I live in a cave, but I have never heard of Motorcyle Maxx. Every dealership that I have gone to in my adult life begged me to test ride when I walk in the door. I am in Florida now and am planning on going to the BMW dealer this week. The last time I was there, they asked me for a test ride even though I told them I was from Ohio and had no intention of buying.

The kawasaki shop in Versallis will let you test ride anything, I have test rode every thang from snowmobiles to dirts and our c-14, and have bought 4 of the 5 I tried everything out and they are great people to deal with, if you you go tell them Dugan sent you and ride you will.

Same thing happened to me a few years back at the old Cycle Search. I went in there looking for a Kawasaki I saw on the website. It had been sold, but I looked around and saw a VFR800 that really caught my eye. I asked a few questions about it and then asked for the test ride and that's when I got the "We don't allow test rides, you'll have to buy it and if for any reason you don't like it you can bring it back . . ." This sounded wrong to me so I walked.

I ended buying a used VFR800 from Iron Pony and yes, I was allowed to test ride it before buying it.