My first ride... ever

abdecal

1973, riding my buddy's RD350. Left turn from a stop light, didn't think I'd gotten on the gas much (used to my old 125 dirt bike that needed lots of throttle), front end popped up and 'bout scared the pants off me! Held on to it and respected the throttle a bit more after that!

My first street ride I was 11 or 12 on an 86 interceptor, with kirker exhaust. I was two up. My uncle stuck me on the back and I fell in love.ill never forget the sound of that bike. Fast forward to 2007 or 08 is when I got my first bike. A 1996 cbr 600 f3. I sold it, and still miss that bike.

Congrats on your new addiction! I didn't touch the street until after I took the msf. My first ride was around lebanon back roads behind my dad, with his wife behind me evaluating me. They were insistent on making me safe. Guess it worked. I'm atgatt. But, I've laid down every bike I've rode once. Except for my brother's buell, but I just went up the street with it.

Point is, dress for the slide, not the ride. Because it will happen. Then get up and try again.

My first street ride was in Oct 2010 on my newly purchased 81 Honda cb200 :D

Rode around the parking lot at my apartment to get a feel for the shifter then had a friend come pick it up in his truck and take it to my gfs parents (out in bfe) then road around the back roads with the gf following me, was a blast!

I rode a '74 Yamaha DT 360 around all the country roads where I grew up. Only problem was that I was 12 and was about a foot from touching the ground so I had to learn to ride without stopping. I rode that thing all over the countryside in the summer of '82 without any major mishaps. I learned a lot about balance, control and timing, even though it was pretty stupid.

Yeah, I remember. Its cool knowing how much I developed my skills over the years too. You will too. I've learned from some great riders in the first few years as well, including midohio track. Keep learning everyday...read, ride, do courses, at least one trackday after a year or 2, etc......that's my advice.:)

Are you 40 like profile shows? I thought you were like 20.

Not a motorcycle, but my first solo motorized ride on the street, of course unadvised, and illegal, and only about 5 miles, was a moped at probably 11 years old or so, I was hooked then...wow, that is a long time ago.

Not counting the short road blasts on the dirt bike...:D

My dad bought me a moped back in '83 (when I was too young to ride legally) and I rode it everywhere...as soon as I needed new transportation in college, I bought a Nighthawk 650.

As the others have said, be ware of your surroundings, keep your head on a swivel and just like when you are driving, anticipate the other drivers jumping into your lane, turning in front of you, etc.. Every time I come up to an intersecting road, I'm off the gas, covering the brakes and staring the driver down. Just yesterday, I had to point (nicely) at a person trying to hang a left into my lane. They will kill you, if you aren't aware. Everytime I hear a story about a rider going down for a SMIDSY (Sorry, Mate, I didn't see you) I think about how lucky I was when it happened to me and always have it in mind.

Mine was long time ago.....1985. it was suzuki RG50. Even 50cc stroke, but it was very exciting. it was old 2 stroke bike and it did not run well low rpm. I had trouble fining 1st gear at stop light lol.

When I did ride FZ750 in 1987, it was also like another first ride. (totally different from 2 stroke bike with 50~250cc)

I hope you have fun with your bike.

Edited by mcdoggy2000

Nice bike! Definitely had fun with my 250, a word of advice on that bike though is watch out for semi trucks, not because they will hit you(well that too) but because the draft they create will blow that bike clear off the road if you're not expecting it.

My first ride was to the grocery store, I had bought my ninja 250 and had never rode before so I spent the morning riding around a parking lot and down the street by my house getting a feel for the controls and turning. That afternoon I rode 5 miles into town and froze my butt off in the process! Mind you this was in February since I just bought the bike in January and was itching to ride. I had no idea wind chill could be that bad because at most I probably did 20 or 30 mph in the parking lot and down the street. Even though I was freezing, I fell in love with riding! This was actually only last year.