Advice from OR on oil/filter...

Turbotom09

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Shell Rotella T6 Synthetic w/ factory filter. If it makes you sleep better in your bed at night, because your oil bottle has a photo of a bike on it, go for it. All you're doing, is wasting money. I never heard of anyone blowing up their engine, using Rotella in their bike.

I will second that!! Rotella T6 and Kawi filter :D

Oh god. what's oil? How do you change it? What should I use? Extra virgin olive oil? I've got a couple gallons of that.

On the six fiddy, I used the longer filter, made for my r6 lol. K&N's nuts are convenient so that's that.

I did rotella in the 650. Mobil 1 in the r6.

it won't blow up. Just pee in it.

Honestly all of this talk is just opinions unless someone has done any tests and proof like used oil analysis etc. I like rotella t6 because its cheap enough that I can afford to change it slightly more often than others and be sure that its not getting bad without doing consistent tests. As long as its rated JASO-MA and you change it (along with the filter), its fine. I won't ever use a fram oil filter, but mobil, bosh, purolator pure one...the list goes on, are all good

I think it dosnt matter what you use if you change it when it needs it or sooner anything is better than running with old dirty oil.

:plus1:

I like fresh oil shift feel.

I rather use quality less expensive oil and change more often.

ex) use Rotella for every 1500mi over Mobil1 for every 4500mi.

Confusion... Shell Rotella has dropped the JASO-MA specifications from their website for Rotella T3 and Rotella T6. It now shows JASO-MA for "Rotella T Triple Protection". I won't be using Rotella any more, not if they can't make up their minds...

edit: HA!, I just looked, it was actually the Rotella T Triple Protection that I bought. It was the only Rotella that had the JASO-MA in the Walmart. Still not impressed that the website said T3 and T6 and then changed it. Pardon me while I go drain that crap.

Edited by ReconRat

Confusion... Shell Rotella has dropped the JASO-MA specifications from their website for Rotella T3 and Rotella T6. It now shows JASO-MA for "Rotella T Triple Protection". I won't be using Rotella any more, not if they can't make up their minds...

edit: HA!, I just looked, it was actually the Rotella T Triple Protection that I bought. It was the only Rotella that had the JASO-MA in the Walmart. Still not impressed that the website said T3 and T6 and then changed it. Pardon me while I go drain that crap.

I never knew the synthetic Rotella was JASO-MA. I always thought it was just the Rotella-T. :dunno:

I never knew the synthetic Rotella was JASO-MA. I always thought it was just the Rotella-T. :dunno:

Well, they put it up on their website, but I never found it in the stores. I found the T triple had the JASO-MA. Doesn't matter, it was for Winter storage anyway. I'll use anything for that. Sometimes just cheap car oil. I looked, and the Valvoline, Honda GN4, and Yamalube mineral oils (by the gallon) are all close to Rotella price anyway, if found at a cheap price source.

Have found a sale on excellent motorcycle full synthetic, but not saying what and where till I go see if it's true and buy it all. Ha! I'll probably post it up after work tomorrow. After I go and try to buy a case of it.

edit: They are all called Rotella T:

T6 (full synthetic)

T5 (synthetic blend)

T Triple Protection (unknown)

T3 professional value (unknown)

T1 (unknown)

The ones that are unknown on website are no doubt basic mineral based oils.

oops... there's a T CI-4 PLUS diesel oil also.... (or was, it might have changed name)

Edited by ReconRat

Well, they put it up on their website, but I never found it in the stores. I found the T triple had the JASO-MA. Doesn't matter, it was for Winter storage anyway. I'll use anything for that. Sometimes just cheap car oil. I looked, and the Valvoline, Honda GN4, and Yamalube mineral oils (by the gallon) are all close to Rotella price anyway, if found at a cheap price source.

Have found a sale on excellent motorcycle full synthetic, but not saying what and where till I go see if it's true and buy it all. Ha! I'll probably post it up after work tomorrow. After I go and try to buy a case of it.

edit: They are all called Rotella T:

T6 (full synthetic)

T5 (synthetic blend)

T Triple Protection (unknown)

T3 professional value (unknown)

T1 (unknown)

The ones that are unknown on website are no doubt basic mineral based oils.

oops... there's a T CI-4 PLUS diesel oil also.... (or was, it might have changed name)

I was referring to the T "Triple Protection" as just Rotella T, for simplicity.

Let us know on the stuff you're talking about! I'm needing to change the oil on the 250.

ok, Autozone: 4-stroke motorcycle oil on sale. Good Mar6-Apr2, 2012

$2.99 qt for Castrol (4T/10W-40 or 2T/20W-50)or Valvoline (10W-40) (mineral/dinosaur)

or

4 quarts of synthetic with a Fram motorcycle filter. $34.99

Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 (synthetic)

Castrol Power RS Racing 4T (synthetic)

Valvoline 4T (synthetic)

I didn't catch what all weights in most of them. Mostly 10W-40 but some 20W-50. I got 4 qt of Castrol mineral for Winter storage, and 4 qt of Mobil 1 4T with a Fram filter I won't use. Here's what happened. No motorcycle filters, that made it hard to do the deal. I found one off the filter list, and that was it. A PH4967 which is group 3 off the calsci chart. Fits some Buell, Harley, Indian, Moto-Guzzi, whatever. The computer wouldn't ring it up. We tried other filters, even the correct filter which they didn't have, nothing worked. Had to get manager to override it. PITB. But pretty much worth it. Couldn't figure out if there was a limit on this either. Yes, I really wanted to buy them all.

And now I suppose I'll go back and do it again, since I have two bikes...

picture.php?albumid=34&pictureid=15563

Yeah, go ahead, try to beat Castrol 4T mineral oil in quality or price at $2.99qt.

And the mineral oil rang up discounted ok, it was the synthetic with Fram filter that got goofed up.

edit: and watch what you grab off the shelf, somebody had put some car oil up there with the motorcycle stuff.

Edited by ReconRat

Go buy some anyway. Motor oil has a shelf life of at least 2 to 5 years.

thats actually a fantastic idea, I think I just may. God knows oil prices won't be going down anytime soon

Advance auto has mobil 1 racing 4t $7.99/qt

haha, ok... that will be my next stop...

edit: ok, didn't work out that way. It looks like you have to order on line for 7.99 each and pick a store to pick it up at. In the store they had a 4 quart with fram filter deal, but they charge separate for the fram filter. That brings it back up to 40 something for oil. No where near the deal at AutoZone. Autozone threw in the filter. Neither one of the Advanced deals were advertised in the store. Only the 7.99 a quart was advertised on line. They knew about the 4 qt with filter deal, but didn't offer me the 7.99 deal I asked for. They suck.

Edited by ReconRat

I wouldn't run Rotella in my Diesel truck, which is what it was designed for, so I definitely wouldn't run it in my bike. Not that the Rotella wouldn't work, but there are better oils out there. It's the life blood of my motor, and I want to put the best oil in there possible. There are few things worth cheaping out on, motor oil is not one of them. I'm a big believer in synthetics and run them in every situation I can.