Ohio State University Police

Tonik

From the link in the OP

while he was standing at the front of the crowd wearing an empty holster, which was clearly visible on his belt, and with his hands crossed in front of his chest.

As I read it, I took this as if he were standing there in an intimidating fashion.

ahh gotcha.

im not totally sure id consider buckeyefirearms.org "the media" though lol... i think they are more like bloggers.

and really, why would they be trying to make him look bad like he was intimidating? im pretty sure they are on his side.

It's funny the difference between this conversation and the Trayvon one. On this one some can't understand why people would be concerned about a random person walking around with an empty gun holster around their waste. In the Trayvon conversation several people think it is justifiable to follow and confront a person walking through a neighborhood simply because they don't know'm and they are wearing a hoodie.

It's funny the difference between this conversation and the Trayvon one. On this one some can't understand why people would be concerned about a random person walking around with an empty gun holster around their waste. In the Trayvon conversation several people think it is justifiable to follow and confront a person walking through a neighborhood simply because they don't know'm and they are wearing a hoodie.

read the thread again. The concern was a call to the police saying a man was waving a gun around, clearly he was not.

@Exarch I wasn't comparing the empty him holster to being followed. I was comparing a stranger wearing a empty holster to a sranger in a hoodie. If wearing a hoodie means its okay to follow then surely an gun holster could justify calling the cops.

@shittgsxr No need to reread the thread. The original post said nothing about being concerned about a wrongful call to the police. Just that a dude with an empty holster was detained by police. This supposed waiving of a gun mess you keep going on about came up later. And i say supposed because one dude on here said the "believed" that was the call was a guy waiving a gun around.

@Exarch I wasn't comparing the empty him holster to being followed. I was comparing a stranger wearing a empty holster to a sranger in a hoodie. If wearing a hoodie means its okay to follow then surely an gun holster could justify calling the cops.

@shittgsxr No need to reread the thread. The original post said nothing about being concerned about a wrongful call to the police. Just that a dude with an empty holster was detained by police. This supposed waiving of a gun mess you keep going on about came up later. And i say supposed because one dude on here said the "believed" that was the call was a guy waiving a gun around.

The "dude" that believed it is an Osu police officer. At Osu the number of instances where a person is reported waiving a gun are so few and far between that mistakes in hearing that detail are nearly impossible.

Regardless of if the dude was a cop or not he still said he "believed" the call came in that way which doesn't make it fact. If, big if, the call came in as waiving a gun then the person was wrong for making that call.

Anyway my point is still the same. If you are going to wear a gun holster around, regardless of if you are white or black, don't be surprised if someone calls the cops and is concern about the possibility of a gun since gun holsters aren't designed to carry cell phones.

don't be surprised if someone calls the cops and is concern about the possibility of a gun since gun holsters aren't designed to carry cell phones.

Funny you pick those words because those things people carry phones in on their belts are referred to as cell phone holsters because of their form/fit/function congruency to standard gun holsters.

Just throwing out some fun food for thought.

I don't always carry my phone in a holster, but when I do, it's an IWB.

I have always carried my phone in a holster right side OWB. When I started carrying that was the most natural place for me to carry, but I went left side. I was concerned that if my phone rang I might blow my brains out.

• Upvote 1

Has the 911 call been made public yet?

I'd like to hear it.

Not knowing Mike from Adam, and just going by looks alone(he is a slightly "menacing" looking guy), and seeing a empty pistol holster, plus not knowing there is a "movement" going on where lots of people are sporting a empty holster...this would raise my curiosity.

I'm not saying it would warrant a 911 call, but I might say something to a LEO if one was nearby. Something like...see that big ass dude over there with a holster on his hip. It's empty. I wonder where is pistol is?

This is coming from someone who knows nothing about this whole situation besides what's been in the news and on here.

Honestly, it doesn't sound very smart...walking around with a empty holster...and is just a way to draw attention to yourself, which he did...so I guess he got what he wanted??

• 4 weeks later...

OSU's "Hate Task Force" has released a report stating "On April 4,2012 during the “Hoodies and Headscarves” event on the Oval a man was detained for flashing an empty gun holster at rally participants."

1. apparently the university supports dissemination of vaguely incorrect information

2. apparently we're not allowed to have empty holsters on campus anymore?? or we'll be detained??

I'm still confused about why they are trying to categorize this as a hate crime. I personally haven't heard anything that would convince me that it is "hate" or a "crime" ... what is going on here?!

OSU's "Hate Task Force" has released a report stating "On April 4,2012 during the “Hoodies and Headscarves” event on the Oval a man was detained for flashing an empty gun holster at rally participants."

1. apparently the university supports dissemination of vaguely incorrect information

2. apparently we're not allowed to have empty holsters on campus anymore?? or we'll be detained??

I'm still confused about why they are trying to categorize this as a hate crime. I personally haven't heard anything that would convince me that it is "hate" or a "crime" ... what is going on here?!

There is a possibility that someone might have been offended and in this pussified nanny state we live in we can't be having that!

I think OSU should re-evaluate their stance given the evidence

I think OSU should re-evaluate their stance given the evidence

I think they should apologize for trying to use this to create another money sucking program/department and making one of their students look bad in the process. It appears that there was only one legitimate incident to report over the past year. I think with 50,000+ students that means that there isn't a lot of 'hate' and they should stop trying to act like there is. Its getting annoying! :cool: