back to the basics

Exarch

Dont touch the break when your bike is sliding out frok under you, especially in a corner. I knew this, I heard it a thousand times. And well I still did it :( I came out fine, but the bike will need some work done to it. New mirrors and new clip ons are my 1st priority. the bike is rashed pretty good, but other than the bent clip on and the broken glass and the bent rear break lever and the tiny dent in the tank from the tank slap its just cosmetical dmg. Im prob not gunna get the bike fixed up for a while as its just looks. Maybe over the winter ill work on it though. The sad thing is I got my frame sliders in last week and still havent put em on my bike(which I regret now) im sure it would of still taken some dmg, but not as bad. Oh well, shit happens, im just glad I wasnt injured besides a couple very minor scrapes. And im glad that what I actually need to get the bike on the road again shouldnt cost me a whole lot.

The bike seems to run fine though, we straightened out my bar(it was completely bent in) and I rode it another 40-50 miles :) I didnt notice anything weird with the bike, except the ackward position of my right handle bar(which only took a.few min for me to adjust to)

Just figured ide share my 1st wreck of which im sure will not be my last with everyone.

Damn 3 posts today with wrecks. Becareful out there people.

How was your bike slipping out from under you?

Going around a tight cornor, I dont think I was leaned far enough left so I leaned farther left while giving it gas for more traction, well I think I was in too high of a gear cuz when I hit the throttle my rear tire didnt seem to grip the road like it should and then my bike kind of just slid from there(not a major slide, but enough to make me panic some) and thats when I hit the break and the back end swung around and the bike went into a full slide. It all happened pretty quickly, and even after I felt the bike slide more when I hit the break I kept on it. I wasnt thinking clearly.

Glad your ok...the best question to ask was what did you do wrong? How do I prevent it from.happening again? Take it as a learning experience, expensive one!

I gotta get the muscle memory down lol, I knew not to hit the break but basic instinct s kicked in unfortunately.

I gotta get the muscle memory down lol, I knew not to hit the break but basic instinct s kicked in unfortunately.

I'm a new rider as well. I've only rode about 400 miles but I came in to hot for comfort at a corner a couple of times. I remembered what someone said on the safety thread I made a couple weeks ago, I braked as much as I could before I leaned the bike into the turn and then I just looked where I wanted to go and I rode it out. Scary because I was pushing way past my abilities. I literally thought to myself right before I hit the turn "I sure hope he knows what the f*ck he's talking about" LOL

I feel dumb to admitting to this because I feel like a major n00b, but I actually practiced some of the things that were said in the thread in my neighborhood (almost no traffic) before I took the bike out on the street. I figured if I was gonna have an "oh shit" moment I'd rather do it with nobody around than not know what to do when a semi is staring at me from the other direction.

edit:

"Even if you think you're going to blow a turn, look where you want to go, and lean in. 90% of the time, you'll make it." redkow97

^THIS

Edited by abdecal

I'm a new rider as well. I've only rode about 400 miles but I came in to hot for comfort at a corner a couple of times. I remembered what someone said on the safety thread I made a couple weeks ago, I braked as much as I could before I leaned the bike into the turn and then I just looked where I wanted to go and I rode it out. Scary because I was pushing way past my abilities. I literally thought to myself right before I hit the turn "I sure hope he knows what the f*ck he's talking about" LOL

I feel dumb to admitting to this because I feel like a major n00b, but I actually practiced some of the things that were said in the thread in my neighborhood (almost no traffic) before I took the bike out on the street. I figured if I was gonna have an "oh shit" moment I'd rather do it with nobody around than not know what to do when a semi is staring at me from the other direction.

edit:

"Even if you think you're going to blow a turn, look where you want to go, and lean in. 90% of the time, you'll make it." redkow97

^THIS

Better to feel like a noob than look like one laid down with your new bike :) ya I read that and saw the thread, I was actually following alot of good advice ive heard from around here and some other people and vids for most my corners and during the heavy winds. I made every other turn pretty good except 1(which I knew i.was gunna blow.and didnt care cuz there were no cars around and it wasnt a sharp.curv and I had plenty of room if I had to go into.the.wrong lane like.I did)

Hopefully you dont lay your bike down anytime soon(or ever) its not very fun and its good you get alot of time to practice in a safe area.

Better to feel like a noob than look like one laid down with your new bike :) ya I read that and saw the thread, I was actually following alot of good advice ive heard from around here and some other people and vids for most my corners and during the heavy winds. I made every other turn pretty good except 1(which I knew i.was gunna blow.and didnt care cuz there were no cars around and it wasnt a sharp.curv and I had plenty of room if I had to go into.the.wrong lane like.I did)

Hopefully you dont lay your bike down anytime soon(or ever) its not very fun and its good you get alot of time to practice in a safe area.

On those big gusts do you feel the back of the bike move more than the front? Feels kind of like that to me.

. The sad thing is I got my frame sliders in last week and still havent put em on my bike(which I regret now).

exactly same thing happened to me, only minor drop and if i had taken the time to put on those sliders would have had almost 0 damage, now i have some rash on the side which i will never be able to forgive myself. Hence first thing i did to my second new bike is frame sliders :D

Not to sound like a stick in the mud, but how about learning to corner at lower speeds before pushing your luck at higher speeds. May not be as fun but there are other people out there and they might take offense to your bike sliding into them. Better yet take it to a track where the pros can school you the right way so your not guessing if some "guy" really knows what he's talking about. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Giving it more gas when leaned over is not going to give you more traction, in fact you're more likely to spin up the rear. If you blew 2 turns and wrecked I would have to suggest doing some more parking lot drills, taking the turns slower, and taking the MSF course if you haven't already. You were obviously and admittedly riding above your skill level; slow it down some and you will be able to think about what to do when something goes wrong. Soon enough it will be second nature and you will be able to go faster into/through the turns.

A few things to understand.

-If you lowside, you most likely did one of two things. You either trailed or used the front brakes or you rolled off the throttle or chopped the throttle.

-If you highside, you had too much throttle and the rear broke loose. Breaking loose and then grabbing traction from chopped throttle or traction and you get spit off...

My thoughts are two fold as I am not being mean, but you sound as if you may not be sure what you exactly did. Thus, you really need to get to an MSF course and honestly, a Novice track day to learn your bike and what it does.

I think you lowsided due to chopping the throttle or braking while leaned over. I doubt the rear stepped out and then you hit the brakes. People "think" they spin the rear or lose the rear and it isn't happening at all. They do not understand what that feeling is. To me, you mentioned you added gas while in the turn and then you used the brakes or rolled out.

You didn't lose the rear and then just slide...

Here's a couple of things to keep in mind in motorcycle riding...

-Throttle is applying load to the rear. Loading the rear on drive out is what we do. It steers the bike. A pretty advanced idea to understand and I would tell you to avoid trying to understand it at this stage and just learn basics. The basic here is that the rear is loaded when accelerating. You are loading the back of the bike under acceleration. Think when you take off... Your head goes back, the bike unloads the front and even sometimes, you will wheelie, etc. That's loading the rear. In a turn, that loading the rear is fine at certain points. You can do it right and drive out or, do it wrong and pitch to the highside.

-Throttle off or chopping the throttle and using the front brakes loads the front. The deal here is that if into a turn and even slightly leaned over and you brake, you are loading the front and the footprint on that front tire is small to begin with. You throw the weight of the bike into that equation and you risk a lowside. Same with chopping the throttle.

People do these things everyday and all the time. Even hard core racers flirt with these rules as they trail brake as deep as they can and push the envelope for traction. Both front and rear... Thus, epic highsides and fast lowsides...

Basically, I think you violated the loading the front rules. The biggest thing is to understand what you did wrong. No video so, we all are guessing. But, the more you learn, the better you become. This is why I promote track days at the Novice level. You get coaching and education and you will learn so much more in a place that is designed for it. Vs. the road...

An MSF course isn't really going to teach you all of this in detail like a track day will. BUT, taking the MSF course is something you should do to learn basics. The basics are needed before anything...

Not to sound like a stick in the mud, but how about learning to corner at lower speeds before pushing your luck at higher speeds. May not be as fun but there are other people out there and they might take offense to your bike sliding into them. Better yet take it to a track where the pros can school you the right way so your not guessing if some "guy" really knows what he's talking about. :rolleyes:

Actually thats the slowest I took any corner all day. 10mph is fast?

Actually thats the slowest I took any corner all day. 10mph is fast?

Dude, no offense, but how do you slide in a crash at 10mph? You had to have jabbed the brakes in a panic. This is another sign to get to an MSF course and at least consider a track day after...

You can actually corner at a lean at 10mph???