Summer jacket recommendations

Adam

Just got the bike back down here to NC, and somehow in the shuffle can't find my summer jacket. Not a big deal though as I needed to replace it as it was getting to big and was starting to balloon in the back when the vents were open. I stopped at the local bike shop and they didn't really have anything light enough for my tastes. Do you guys have any recommendations I should look at? I want something as light as possible that flows well without sacrificing protection.

I wore a Joe Rocket textile (Rasp I think) jacket years ago and was pretty happy with how it lasted. I switched to a full leather jacket for the past 5 years and this year finally decided to get another textile for better ventilation and less weight. Like you, I still wanted something that would protect well but hopefully not weigh so much. I was never a fan of mesh jackets but recently bought a Joe Rocket jacket that is a mesh/textile blend and I have been really impressed. It has full armor with textile on the sleeves, top of the front, and part of the back with mesh panels on the front and some of the back.

I know the mesh is not going to protect as well as my race leathers or the full leather jacket but it seems like a well thought out design. Plus it was on clearance (last year's style) so it will be good to have for those 90+ days.

HAHA, I should clarify. I'm originally from KY so when I say 90+ days, I mean degrees not days of riding. I have always been used to year-round riding so when I saw Ohio start salting the roads in October, it was a shock.

The leather jacket I have is perforated. It's a great jacket but anything above 80 degrees and you are going to leave sweat puddles on the ground if you stop at a stoplight. I definitely would rather sweat than bleed but showing up to work soaking wet with sweat is not fun. The new textiles are a good alternative.

I'm on my 2nd Tourmaster Intake Air jacket, only because the medics had to cut my first one off of me. I can vouch for the protection offered by this mesh jacket. I had a major accident last summer and didn't have so much as a scratch on me thanks to this jacket. It was my first purchase with my insurance payment after the accident.

Last two jackets I had were Joe Rockets, the one I can't find, and the on I have to layer up. The thicker one I had some complaints about, the main zipper lost some teeth and one of the vent zippers broke and came off.

Are there any sites you guys use to look at gear (read jackets)

I'm on my 2nd Tourmaster Intake Air jacket, only because the medics had to cut my first one off of me. I can vouch for the protection offered by this mesh jacket. I had a major accident last summer and didn't have so much as a scratch on me thanks to this jacket. It was my first purchase with my insurance payment after the accident.

That's quite a testimonial, glad you've recovered.

Aerostich Darien Light - use it year-round in Ohio

looking for something a little tighter fitting than that. I like my jackets to fit close, I wouldn't say tight, but definitely form fitting. That is the problem with my Joe Rocket jacket, it is my cold jacket that I put layers on underneath, it is good for me to about 35 degrees, but as it warms up it is too loose for my liking

RevIt Air is a very nice jacket, great ventilation and looks good.

FJT119_3200UF_300RGB08_detail.jpg?1291397596

I don't think people understand how bad I want a white ard red colored bike, gear combo. A new r1 in that white/red/gray is slowly wearing down my resolve to not have a payment until next year

you want a snug fit then look at Alpinestars. Everything I've had from A* has been a snug fit. Then again I also wear some of their larger sizes so the cuts don't seem exactly for fat kids like me

• 3 weeks later...

Well this is what I picked up, I am on the right. Tourmaster intake 3.0. I am moderately happy. The textile jacket is nice, but I do not like velcro wrist adjustments surprisingly, and I do no like the fact I can't adjust the neck tighter as when I am riding the back will be open, allowing wind to get in there and let the jacket flap. It really isn't that bad and the jacket fits nice. I like it other than those two things, but I think I am going to return it and try something else actually. Unless anyone knows where I can have zippers added to the wrists and a button to the neck.

295078_10101815026204855_12420593_70501931_593484396_n.jpg

you want a snug fit then look at Alpinestars. Everything I've had from A* has been a snug fit. Then again I also wear some of their larger sizes so the cuts don't seem exactly for fat kids like me

+1, I have a hard time finding gear that fits right myself.