Bike in Garage

NinjaCisco

Ok my Cousin has a bike in his garage and was there when he bought the house, they contacted the guy that owned the house and he had since passed away. After such he contacted the children of the man and they dont have title and dont want anything to do with the bike. How would someone go about getting a title for the bike?

there is some kind of process to claim an abandoned vehicle... im not totally sure what it entails. i think you have to announce to the public that its there, and try to contact the last known owner. the public announcement is usually accomplished by a small classified ad in the paper.

or you could just buy a frame with title and swap everything over.

It's not clear if it was even his. You'll have to find out who the actual owner is and notify by certified letter. I would even wonder if he was the true owner. If there's a loan on it, the bank has to be notified, and they will come get it.

The BMV process for abandoned vehicle is meant for commercial garages and storage units. Citizens attempting to claim abandoned motor vehicles don't have an easy way to do so. I've heard of it being done, but I've mostly heard how difficult it was.

Cities/counties will not remove vehicles from private property, for the most part. Some will have different rules, mostly if not showing current tags.

Your actual question, how to get a title, is to offer his kids money to go replace the missing title (or find it) and sign it over to you. Still takes up time and cash, but it's quicker.

Replacing the title isn't as hard as it used to be. Any of the BMV locations can do that on the spot, and if you were there with them, sell and sign it over at the same time.

BUT, only the surviving spouse can generally do this, by filling out a form that allows it. Anyone else would probably have to wait till the estate is distributed. And there are forms for that also.

Mostly I've heard abandoned property takes 3 to 5 years to transfer ownership.

Transferring from heirs will still take up to a year, I'd think. A few months if lucky.

Ok my Cousin has a bike in his garage and was there when he bought the house, they contacted the guy that owned the house and he had since passed away. After such he contacted the children of the man and they dont have title and dont want anything to do with the bike. How would someone go about getting a title for the bike?

First thing would be to find out if in fact the bike belonged to the deceased man. If it did, then next thing to be determined is who is his next of kin (spouse, child, etc). If he had a beneficiary then it's going to be a different process than if his case went through probate.

Try this:

How to obtain salvage titles

Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles has changed its requirements to get salvage titles. The Police Department will only process requests for salvage titles on a vehicle that we requested to be towed. These requests take time and will usually take two weeks to complete. Once completed you will be notified and will have to pay for all cost associated with this.

If you towed a car off a private lot at the request of a private party or have a car that was left on your lot and you're wanting a salvage title, please visit the BMV's website and print Form 3702 and follow the instructions.

Any questions please call BMV's Unclaimed/Abandoned Vehicle Department at 614-728-0649

That's the most hopeful info I've seen around. It does appear to be something new, maybe. Worth a shot. At least find out if they will help with the process.

edit: Point is, I didn't know the BMV's Unclaimed/Abandoned Vehicle Department had a separate phone number for that.

Edited by ReconRat

A 98 Gsxr is worth more in parts than as a bike. Strip it down to the frame and list the parts seperately on Ebay. You will make enough money to buy a better bike than that one in just 2 weeks as opposed to a year long headache to try for the gsxr.

A 98 Gsxr is worth more in parts than as a bike. Strip it down to the frame and list the parts seperately on Ebay. You will make enough money to buy a better bike than that one in just 2 weeks as opposed to a year long headache to try for the gsxr.

I would consult a lawyer before treating it as your own bike without getting the title in your name first. The lawyer might advise getting something in writing from the guy's kids that say they give you permission to sell the parts, and never will. That way they don't come back later with a title in their own name and demand the bike back.

Another option would be to offer the owner's kids $100 to get the bike titled in their name (via inheritance) then signed over to you.

Craigslist for $2K with a description of how easy it is to get a title and how anyone who thinks it's hard is a dumb-ass. At least that's how I've seen it handled.