Have you backed up your data today?

Casper

Funny you should ask. "Most of it" would be my answer today.

'nother question: has McAfee grabbed hold of (and won't let go) the log files on one of your Exchange DAGs and tried to single-handedly bring down e-mail for your company today?

It has for me. (Borat voice): Good times.

Luckily that DAG is replicated on two other servers and failed over just as I designed it to do. <whew>

Even better when the Exchange Admin is on vacation and I get to fix it. I'm a Linux guy, my stuff just works. Usually.

Actually earning my monies today.

Funny you should ask. "Most of it" would be my answer today.

'nother question: has McAfee grabbed hold of (and won't let go) the log files on one of your Exchange DAGs and tried to single-handedly bring down e-mail for your company today?

It has for me. (Borat voice): Good times.

Luckily that DAG is replicated on two other servers and failed over just as I designed it to do. <whew>

Even better when the Exchange Admin is on vacation and I get to fix it. I'm a Linux guy, my stuff just works. Usually.

Actually earning my monies today .

That's exactly how I feel when I work on Microsoft stuff. :lol:

Why is McAfee looking at exchange log files?

Because the "Security Manager" (paper tiger cissp) deemed it necessary, he was the system owner for McAfee, he put it on there, and he didn't know enough to exclude the log volume from scanning.

Hasn't been a problem in the nearly two years since Exchange 2010 was implemented.

Won't be a problem again, as McAfee got 86'ed from the entire Exchange infrastructure today. It's being thoroughly investigated by actual "systems" people. You know, ones that know how to make servers work.

"Security Manager" no longer works here - he's Nationwide's problem, er, asset now. Sorry Cheech! :lol:

Because the "Security Manager" (paper tiger cissp) deemed it necessary, he was the system owner for McAfee, he put it on there, and he didn't know enough to exclude the log volume from scanning.

Hasn't been a problem in the nearly two years since Exchange 2010 was implemented.

Won't be a problem again, as McAfee got 86'ed from the entire Exchange infrastructure today. It's being thoroughly investigated by actual "systems" people. You know, ones that know how to make servers work.

"Security Manager" no longer works here - he's Nationwide's problem, er, asset now. Sorry Cheech! :lol:

I think there are enough layers here that I'm sufficiently insulated from his stupidity.

On an unrelated note, anyone use Synology NAS devices, specifically the DS212j with DSM 4.0? I'm hearing everything from these are the FSM's gift to home storage solutions to they cured Aunt Edna's cancer, but I don't really want to base this solely on Newegg and Amazon reviews since I'll be plowing some cash into it and the HD's. I'm really curious how the cloud streaming works to the Android/iPhone devices, that seems like something I could really get some mileage out of.

On a lighter note, I opened one old hard drive, and the platters were naked. Old plastic or glass type, I could see right through them. The plating was gone, turned to powder and scattered all over the interior. No clue how it continued working, unless it did that really suddenly. Unplated the platters, basically... weird.

edit: I still call them platens...

I think there are enough layers here that I'm sufficiently insulated from his stupidity.

On an unrelated note, anyone use Synology NAS devices, specifically the DS212j with DSM 4.0? I'm hearing everything from these are the FSM's gift to home storage solutions to they cured Aunt Edna's cancer, but I don't really want to base this solely on Newegg and Amazon reviews since I'll be plowing some cash into it and the HD's. I'm really curious how the cloud streaming works to the Android/iPhone devices, that seems like something I could really get some mileage out of.

I've had a DS209 for a few years and I haven't had any issues. Inside it I run 2 1TB drives in a RAID 1 array. Synology makes good stuff, can't go wrong with them IMO.

I back up all of my important data to the NAS (pictures, music, etc) AND have a copy of all of this on a 750GB portable USB 3.0 drive that I keep locked in my desk at work in the event I have a disaster at the homestead.

I also happen to do hardware reviews (mostly SSDs) for a site and have half a dozen of drives laying around that I'm going to have to get rid of soon before they overtake my office. If you haven't upgraded your system to an SSD yet, you're missing out.

Edited by ScubaCinci

I've had a DS209 for a few years and I haven't had any issues. Inside it I run 2 1TB drives in a RAID 1 array. Synology makes good stuff, can't go wrong with them IMO.

I back up all of my important data to the NAS (pictures, music, etc) AND have a copy of all of this on a 750GB portable USB 3.0 drive that I keep locked in my desk at work in the event I have a disaster at the homestead.

I also happen to do hardware reviews (mostly SSDs) for a site and have half a dozen of drives laying around that I'm going to have to get rid of soon before they overtake my office. If you haven't upgraded your system to an SSD yet, you're missing out.

Both my gaming PC and my HTPC downstairs have SSD's for OS drives, believe me, I'm not missing out. ;)

I would really use the NAS as a centralized media station. Currently I have the HTPC on S3 sleep when I'm not using it, so I can't rely on it to be the media hub and due to power consumption don't want it to be the media hub. I've got all these devices that can possibly do DLNA between my phone, PC, tablet, etc., but nothing to serve on-demand to those devices. If I can punch a few holes in the firewall for this thing to serve out to the Internet, that's even better. I just wanted to see if someone had some hands-on with it, as that seems to be a pretty tall order for a consumer level device.