Best Mods For A Race Bike

tyler524

I have been trying to do some research and figure out what is going to be the mods I can make to get the most bang for the buck. I am going to buy a quick throttle here in the near future, might just buy an R6 throttle sleeve and use it since it is a 1/6 throttle. I have thrown around the idea of buying a slipper clutch but I don't know if it is worth it to spend that kind of money on one. I am pretty sure that at some point this season, I will rebuild the stock forks with race internals. Is it worth buying a power commander and getting a custom tune? I am sure there are a ton of mods that I can and should make but I don't know exactly which ones to go with and which ones that are cheap and easy. I also don't know if it is worth dumping a ton of money into a 2004. Any help or guidance from you guys that have been at it a while would be appreciated.

Seat time, having your sag set correctly, race tires, and then the other stuff in that order. Oh and uhh, learn how to feel your bike move under you. Don't just assume it'll be ok lol

plus a billion to seat time. Resist buying stuff that is just going to cost you more to replace in a crash.

from a bone-stock bike, I'd insist on stainless brake lines, and that's about all you really NEED.

my short list of "when I can afford it" mods would include rearsets, bodywork (maybe not in that order), and clip-ons after your first set breaks...

I installed Galfer braided lines on the front and rear, new fluid in the lines, Vortex rearsets on the way, my pads are in good shape but aren't anything special, and will be running Dunlop race tires. That is at least where I am right now but I am looking pretty hard at doing the suspension.

Suspension is a good mod if you can afford it, and I would spend my money there vs. some of the other mods you listed like a power commander, etc. You'll learn a couple extra hp doesn't mean crap the first time one of the fast SV riders blow by you on a bike with 30 less hp.

Edited by TRMN8TR

Seat time!

But in my opinion, not in any order...

1. Tires

2. Brakes

3. Setting up your suspension (or the more expensive route... swaping it out for some aftermarket forks and shock)

4. Getting in shape....

5. Do not listen to gixxie 750 about getting rid of your Honda :p

I see we are talkin OEM.... I Have never compared OE part prices between MFGs, but they all seem to be expensive and about the same price. Used is the way to go! Now if we compare HRC vs GYT-R then yes I would say HRC is a bit more.

If we were comparing aftermarket products then everything seems to about the same cost.

Seat time, meet people and make friends at the track, tires, suspension.

I ride a mostly stock SV650 and have a blast. No plastic either except a small windshield. I only have about $2800 in it, counting stuff I've broken in crashes and the GSXR front end I just bought. Don't put it on the track unless you can afford to push it off a cliff!

Edited by wantahertzdonut

Ask mykill how expensive it is to repair a Honda.

I think I was around $200 total. So not bad at all considering the wreck. I dont think it is too bad to work on.

Its not that bad. And I've done it my fair share. Just have to know where to get parts and do it yourself.

Mykills highside was pretty cheap to be honest for what i could have been. Mental and Physical injuries are harder to fix.

:o

I think I was around $200 total. So not bad at all considering the wreck. I dont think it is too bad to work on.

:o

Funny, I was right at 200 as well and that was with gear replacement, new helmet and shipping my Supertechs to Astar.

Funny, I was right at 200 as well and that was with gear replacement, new helmet and shipping my Supertechs to Astar.

What all did you have to replace? I have never thought that Honda's were any more expensive than any other bike, it just depends on if you are really searching for parts. For example, most people were trying to ask $300 for a front wheel (which is admittedly far too high) but I was able to find one close enough for $75 and with a little machining time had a matching front.

What all did you have to replace? I have never thought that Honda's were any more expensive than any other bike, it just depends on if you are really searching for parts.

Gas Tank, Rearset Right peg+brake lever, Upper Fairing stay, Ignition Key cover, MC Brake Reservoir/Hose/Clamps, Both Thottle Cables and Rear Throttle housing. Also inserted the right handlebar weight that fell out with a spare that I had from my old OEM's and grind down the bar end to match.