Bike dropped - fair compensation?

cmh_sprint

So my incredibly shitty day got even worse about 30 minutes ago. I get a call from the shop where I dropped my bike off for service last night. While they were pulling it into the shop (almost 24 hours ago) they dropped my bike. Damage is a bar end and the right side fairing. I am told the fairing has about a 4 inch scratch that needs to be filled and then painted. The offer is to have then service my bike for free, replace the bar end and buff out the scratch (it would still be noticeable) or the will replace the bar end and send the fairing out for repair and repaint. No ETA given on when my fairing will be fixed. Input?

Honest mistake, one would assume.

Free service this time 'round is a start.

Buff but still visible? Thanks, but no thanks.

I assume you could ride it for a week or however long w/o the piece as long as it's the lower fairing? Assuming "yes", bring it home minus the broken part, ride back some evening or weekend once it's fixed, they put it back on, they toss in a hat or something and you call it good?

I'd give them the chance to make it right. If they don't, then we move on to Crazy's idea... :D

Contact your insurance company, they will handle it for you if they are 1/2 way decent. Explain what happened and you shouldnt be marked at fault and they will go after those people for your $$$

Think of it as a free lawyer :D

I would take the service and bar end for free and take some cash for dealing with the scratch... Its happened here 2 times already and it sux so bad!! Thankfully we were able to work out a deal with them. I offered to replace fairing and do all work for free on the 2 bikes I had. Good luck!

I agree with all above. At minimum I'd require them to replace bar end and fairing with OEM parts and I'd pay for whatever service I brought it there for. If they ever wanted my business again they would give me the service for free for the trouble. If they balk sic your insurance company on them. If they are a reputable shop they will have their own insurance that handles situations like this. They probably just don't want to file a claim.

I don't understand how getting the service for free would be a deal killer. Accidents happen. Having them right their wrong is one thing. Taking them to the cleaners over it is something entirely different.

This. I have no problem paying for the service. I'm going to make the drive to the shop tomorrow and look at the fairing and see how bad it is. Accidents do happen. The biggest thing that pissed me off is that they took 24 hours to call me and i was still at the shop when it happened. Thanks for all the input.

Shit does happen, however, they should try to make it right with you! Hear them out on there offer and see what you can live with. If they refuse then you have many options.. For instance, my parents had a 199X (can't remember) Lincoln town car converted from air to shocks, i picked the car up from a carstar and found 2 wheels studs broke 50 miles down the road because they didn't torque them.. All they offered was the 5 dollars in parts that I replaced.. I took an ad in the local paper, bad Angie's list, bad BBB rating, and made a 'free parts' ad in Craigslist everyday for a week! It cost me, but not as much as it did them, I hope!! I did the same to a Monroe brake and muffler after my girlfriend got stranded in her car 15 min after I had Monroe do an oil change... The guy swore he torqued it, (i explained that 1 inch pound is torqued, but not right) and was offered a free oil change and inspection of my oil pan threads (they had to be the problem) did the same to them, and fortunately for me, the Monroe is less than .5 mile from my house and I keep the pics of the oil and drain plug in my car, everytime I see somebody there I stop in and show

Them the pics :)

-VanDy

I don't understand how getting the service for free would be a deal killer. Accidents happen. Having them right their wrong is one thing. Taking them to the cleaners over it is something entirely different.

This.

I agree with all above. At minimum I'd require them to replace bar end and fairing with OEM parts and I'd pay for whatever service I brought it there for. If they ever wanted my business again they would give me the service for free for the trouble. If they balk sic your insurance company on them. If they are a reputable shop they will have their own insurance that handles situations like this. They probably just don't want to file a claim.

^ This. Have them fix with new parts and offer to pay for the service. If they comp it, then bonus.

New bar end. Tell them the fairing must be fixed so there's no scratch visible, so repaint ro replace is up to them as long as it's fixed. If the fairing is cracked the replace. If they can find a matching used fairing that is in the same condition that yours was before they dropped it then fine.

As far as the service, I'd only want it comp'd if they wind up keeping the bike for much longer than the service was planned for. If they keep the bike for two weeks to fix then I'd be looking for something back on the service if...

- You're having to pay extra gas to cage it instead

- You have to get a taxi to pick up the bike because your original ride can't make it on the revised pickup date etc.

- You miss a planned ride

If they can fix it and return it to you in a reasonable time then I'd still plan to pay for the service, and if they discount of comp it then sure.

At least they were honest. Some places would never tell you and deny everything when you saw the damage.

^ This. Have them fix with new parts and offer to pay for the service. If they comp it, then bonus.

^This... except... they break it they fix it. Return as was. Meaning replacement parts of new or same/better than what you had, and you don't pay for it. You did not break it. (Your service requested is ok, but not cost of their repairs.)

It's bad enough if it takes too long. That's a comp for that.

edit: also meaning you are at no risk when taking their service for accidental damage done during the service.

That's not part of the deal, that part is entirely theirs. They have insurance for that, it really costs them nothing if they file for it.

Except, filing too many claims won't work out in the long run. But that is not your problem.

Edited by ReconRat

New bar end and new fairing for sure at minimum. If they cut you a discount on service for the inconvenience then it's added bonus. You were planning on paying for te service and get the bike back in same condition you dropped of off in so this is what I would expect

However' date=' since it wasn't, I'll just say.... DucRx is #1. All other shops are #2, or lower.[/quote']

bias or not this is 110% accurate. Nobody touches my bike ther than pauly an myself. And me is iffy enough. If my bike "dropped" at his hands it was more than likely he was drop kickin it on purpose :lol:

• Upvote 1